Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing to england and driving it over to ireland??

Options
  • 02-06-2005 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Right as Ive posted before im importing a nissan silvia S!15 in the near future. thing is the VRT is killing me its 4,800. A lad in work was saying something about importing it to england,getting it registered over there and then driving it back thus avoiding having to pay VRT is this true??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

davkav wrote:
    is this true??

No. First you have to live in the UK to import and register it there. Then if you can prove you have lived in the UK while owning the car for at least 6 months, you can import it here and register it free from VRT (except small registration fee)

I am presuming you're importing from Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

yeah my plan was to import from japan alright but then I found one already on a boat on the way in to neweraimports.com and thought I might be able to find a way around the high price of VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

davkav wrote:
    yeah my plan was to import from japan alright but then I found one already on a boat on the way in to neweraimports.com and thought I might be able to find a way around the high price of VRT

Is this the one?
    http://www.neweraimports.com/carDetails.jsp?carId=114

Stunning car. Only thing that would stop me buying one is the fairly useless back seat.
    Can I ask what OTR price this translates to?
    (I may use Newera to import a skyline some time in the future)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

The advantage of buying from within the EU is you dont have to pay VAT and customs to bring it into the country. These may be cheaper in other countries, but I doubt you could import to UK, then bring it back here and save very much by paying the VAT in another jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dear Mr. Lawlor

Just whats the problem with paying the tax? If you can't afford the tax, you can't afford the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Victor wrote:
    Dear Mr. Lawlor

Just whats the problem with paying the tax? If you can't afford the tax, you can't afford the car.

The man's asking advice on trying to see if he can save a few (thousands) cuid to get a car in. Don't wreck the thread and make it a "holier than thou" slanging match.

Back to the subject at hand, IMHO it's going to be very difficult to do what your attempting, i can't think of a way around it without a lot of tom-foolery. I've been in this situation before and I refuse to pay the VRT to bring a vehicle in. There are ways round it but it requires a lot of work and luck!

Farlz

[edit] Thats a very good site by the looks of things, prices don't seem too bad on it, linney.org is another site that imports performance cars to the UK. I myself would be interested in importing a jap skyline/evo in the near future. Let us know how you get on. [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

the thing is say if I was to buy that silvia from neweraimports and drive it back over id avoid vat and customs tax right?? all id have to pay is vrt??

Advertisement