Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HGV License?

Options
  • 02-06-2005 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know the process involved in getting a HGV license to drive Artic and Rigid Trucks, where to get lessons and where to apply for your test.

At the moment i have a Full 'B' license and im 24.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Neil_Ireland

Overflow,

First thing you need to do is go for a medical, tell your doc you need it to apply for a HGV provisional license.
    Then go apply for provisional license for cat C I think.

You have to pass the rigid test before you can apply for a provisional for the artic.

I have done both tests a few years ago, I did all my lessons with colliers school of motoring based in Finglas. The guy who owns the place runs a haulage operation too so he knows his stuff and does not employ dodgy driving instructors.
    I did my test in Finglas too, the driving instructor will bring you on the test routes during your lessons so you can get used to them.

Hope this answers your question.

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

^^^Before any of that you need to apply for (and pass) a cat C theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

So all i have to do is get my medical, apply for my provisional C license, do the theory test, then some lessons and hopefully pass the driving test?

Can anyone recommend a good driving school on the southside of dublin?
    Do u know how much the medical costs?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

FIRST you need to pass the theory test, it is needed to get the provisional licence. The medical must be done less than a month before applying for the provisional. it costs how much your doctor charges for a consultation, it is only a very basic check up 5-10mns max.

http://www.dtts.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 canadamoose

Does anybody know what sort of rates Irish drivers get per trip for running to the uk for one trip for example from dublin to the UK with an artic unit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I used Churchtown School of Motoring for the Rigid and Colliers for the Artic. Both where excellent. I also did one lesson with Irish School of Motoring. But their truck base was beside Croke Park and I didn't want to drive into town all the time, and Chruchtown was only around the corner so I used them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

Does anybody know what sort of rates Irish drivers get per trip for running to the uk for one trip for example from dublin to the UK with an artic unit?

ammm, i would think around 120euro....

but it depends on the hours.. i.e. where in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I did all my lessons with colliers school of motoring based in Finglas. The guy who owns the place runs a haulage operation too so he knows his stuff and does not employ dodgy driving instructors
    Good old Nicky Collier - one of those 'diesel in the veins' types. I did my rigid and artic with him also. He's not for the fainthearted and will think nothing of calling you a "muppet" if you make a mistake. He's been known to take learners down to Dublin Port to pick up a load. The only downside is that he's regularly on the phone running the haulage end of things while you are driving (but still doesn't miss an error). He also uses full lenght box/curtainside trailers which would be used in 'real' haulage operations, not like some schools who use the minimum permitted 30ft flatbeds with one axle.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Please start your own new thread rather than resurrecting an old thread. You're not even on topic mate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement