Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT free 'self - install'

• 02-06-2005 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭

I ordered broadband from BT Ireland a couple of weeks ago online. Installation was €40 based on a self install. Modem arrived yesterday and I was scheduled to go live tomorrow. Yesterday I heard on the radio that BT is offering 'free' self installation if ordered online for broadband now.

I rang BT to see if I could avail of this as I hadn't actually installed yet. They said no, I couldn't.

I ended up having to cancel the order, and re - order, to get the free install.

The thing is they said I can hang onto the modem, but have to wait for a new 'live date'.

Rigmarole or what..... But at least I'm €40 better off, thoughts of having to pay for install when its been offered for free is enough to keep me awake at night....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

To be fair to BT they could have told you to get lost as you did actually apply for the service based on the fact that it was a 40 euro self install before they announced that offer. It's pretty decent of them to let you avail of it now.

Bit of a hassle to have to postpone your DSL though for the sake of a few quid that you were planning on spending anyway :) But, 40 quid's always best spent on something better than a DSL setup charge.

Just be careful that they didn't screw that up and actually turn you into 2 customers ... watch out for a pair of BT bills with different account numbers on different dates! They've a notoriously weird billing system!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

As an existing dial up customer of Bt I already have an account number.... they couldn't stop me cancelling and re ordering as i hadn't actually iniated the product/service. I just availed of the cooling off period. Only thing is I didn't let it get too cold. I got back on and re ordered.

I'm sure if they could have stopped me doing this they would have. They didn't do me no favours by re accepting the order. Its just a new order.

I would have just went elsewhere, if they had of kicked off. Then they lost the custom completely, (not that they are really bothered)

Still i'm €40 better off for my troubles

Advertisement