Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Drawing

Options
  • 02-06-2005 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

im just looking for some tips on time management in TD, some questions like skew bore holes etc i can do in about 20/30 mins... but others like interpenatration it takes me about an hour :(

my teacher siad this is ok though as i can make up for it by being faster on other questions, which is grand but im just wondering does anyone else have any other tips for time (other than draw faster!).

in my mocks i got 92% on paper 2 and 63% on paper 1 because i ran out of time on the interpenatration and didnt get it finished.

Comments

:eek: We're like twins! :eek:

Interpenetration takes me a long time too, but I get intersecting planes, locus and mining geometry done really quickly.

All I can recommend is start with a question your comfortable with, and STUDY STUDY STUDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

what questions are you doing?
    im doing...

paper1:
    planes in space
    solids in contact
    interpenatration
    loci

paper2:
    perspective
    shadow and shade
    skew bore holes
    roads

i hope we dont get a terrible interpenatration question.. i dont find them too hard its just the process and all the plotting of points and joining them up :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Paper I: Well solids in contact is I'd say the easiest, so maybe start with that then pick a harder one, then easier, leave intersection of solids to last as you find it hardest. Also for intersection of planes if you don't do it last leave that usually evil 'c' part and move on to another question, only go back to it at the end if you have time, the rest of that question is simple.

Paper II: mining, roads (haven't studied it though) and roof are generally short questions so there shouldn't be a problem. *crosses fingers*

I think that TD is one of the dodgiest subjects in the exams, I'm glad it's spread over two days. Honestly I'm predicting an A1, I have always got A's but the fact that they sometimes put in really b!tchy questions makes me unsure. It doesn't help that I never study it, the thing is I really like TD but I risk failing over stupid subjects (french) so I have to work at them.

Oh btw when you get your first piece of paper at the start ask for a total of 4/5 so that you won't be left waiting during the exam, I hate it when the examiner just strolls over when you're frantic about wasting time.

- do bring in spare leads for your compass
    - bring a spare rubber (can't hurt)
    - sharpener
    - cellotape....just things that are easy to forget
    - I'd also recommend getting new set squares, presentation is important for you and the examiner!

what questions are you doing?

Paper 1:

Intersecting Planes
    Solids in Contact
    Interpenetration
    Locus
    Oblique Planes

Paper 2:

Perspaective
    Hyperbola/Saddle
    Mining
    Roof Shells
    Map

I think that the planes question in Paper 1 is easiest, so start with that. Then loci, if you use a trammel like I do, is also extremely easy, so maybe go for that next. Solids in contact varies a lot, but hopefully it will be easy this year. :) And, of course, like everyone says, leave interpenetration til last (God I hate it! :mad: )

In Paper 2, start with mining geometry as it's very predictable and very similar to the question you did first in Paper 1. Then perhaps do roads. If you like the look of the perspective, then do that next. I don't do shadow so I couldn't tell you about it.

Do you not have any extra question to spare? If not, that's very risky imo, especially in TD. There's always at least one or two awkward questions that come up. :(

yeah i do have a choice between roofs and shadow.. and maaaaaaaaan i hate roofs, my favourite thing about some of the td questions is that there is nearly always more than one way to do something...

i can never remember in solids in space (in,up,downs!), once you get the strike do you go parallel to it first and then do an aux view?
    or is that mining?
    i think in mining you get strike then look out along it for an aux view to get the dip thinkness etc.
    can someone please confirm!?

• Advertisement

once you get the strike do you go parallel to it first and then do an aux view?

You go perpendicular then parallel. You are right about the mining I think.

oh ok its pretty awkward to type the process.. thanks..
    oooh bed time i think!

Oh btw when you get your first piece of paper at the start ask for a total of 4/5 so that you won't be left waiting during the exam, I hate it when the examiner just strolls over when you're frantic about wasting time.

very good tip thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

wow tech drawing, now that brings back memories, i got 96% higher level, loved that subject

interpenetration can be a bitch alright, my advice.. practice past papers at home with a stopwatch, set yourself a certain amount of time for each question and don't go over it, you can always come back to it if you have enough time at the end, keep the drawings clean don't smudge

and if you have any problems with the questions or don't fully understand then ask your teacher after class he/she will be more than willing to help you out

gl, /me goes off to drag up my old drawings

How did you know what percentage you got?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

i met my teacher (he also marked the paper) a couple of weeks after and he told me, highest of the school that year i think

Cool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

got 96% higher level

Nice work, well done!

Advertisement