Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sims

Options
  • 03-06-2005 1:51am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭

the sims is crap.....

monument said i could post this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I disagree, but I respect your opinion.

There again, I think once you reach a certain point and get over the novelty of the funny sims talk, and you've bought everything; there's very little to keep you playing.
    Why is there no way to progress in your job without x number of friends? And that leaving the house in a good mood means you're more compitent at your job... absolute pants.
    I had great fun playing the sims and for the first week I didn't find it crap, but the more you play it... the more crap it becomes... as you realise the limits.
    Interesting point though.

Also the expansion packs...
    I think it can add a few hours of gameplay if you're not already completely bored of the whole system.
    Otherwise they strike me as a disgusting cash-in... offering very little new for what you're paying. (almost the same price as a full game some of the times I've seen them, as new releases etc... although they're probably better value now that they're older)

I only got one expansion pack (house party) and found it a tad disappointing... new skins, new textures, items, jobs... but the same frailties... you still hit a plateau where you're trying to juggle 10 friends to get promoted, to earn money, to buy things that are no longer important to the progression of the game.

What ever you're into really... some people splash out on a new champ manager game every year with updated player stats, which I think is crazy, but it's just entertainment really, and if you think it's worth it... then go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

It's a good concept, and its fun to play with, but it does get too repetitive. And the crappy pathfinding and the way sims block eachother in too often really did my head in, that can ruin the game in some cases. Bob starved to death cos Alice was blocking the doorway to the kitchen, stuff like that!

Sims 2 was a good improvement but suffered the same repetitiveness really. But on the whole I think its a good series. And I know lots of people who don't like games at all but like the Sims so it must be doing something right.

I guess different aspects of the game appeal to different people in different ways... for me it was exploring the possibilities of the game.
    Once I found those limits, the appeal vanished.
    I'm still pretty curious about the Sims2 ... that genetics system looks fun.

Oh and speaking of repetition... oven fires... the fireman had just left, and my stupid sim sets it on fire again.

The genetics system is good but kind of flawed. Because only the house you control ages. So when my kids got older all their friends were still kids. And then you had children hanging around with the same neighbours that their Grandad had when he was their age. And its just too awkward switching houses all the time to keep everyone ageing at the same rate.

However Sims 2 has some *great* features. One of my Sims was very family driven and her daughter died(starved to death in a stupid pathfinding incident) and she was never the same after that. She'd be restless at night, walking around the house thinking about her daughter(as in thought bubbles with the late daughters portrait in them) and bursting into tears. It actually made you feel for her.

The new 'aspirations' meter is a great idea. Gives your Sim long term goals in life. And you really do see sims having different personalities and interesting relationships emerging. The Sims 2 actually has a lot going for it, I'd buy the expansions if it wasn't already crippling my PC to try and play the game...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

steviec wrote:
    The genetics system is good but kind of flawed. Because only the house you control ages. So when my kids got older all their friends were still kids. And then you had children hanging around with the same neighbours that their Grandad had when he was their age. And its just too awkward switching houses all the time to keep everyone ageing at the same rate.

Tip: Don't make friends with NPC (non player character) kids or if you do and get sick of them, invite them over and kill them.:)

Heh, it's funny - I think Sims 1 is a bit crap now - it seems so limited and primitive compared to the sequel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

I havent bought Sims 2 yet. Waiting for them to release inevitable Sims2+Expansion Pack 1+2 for a reduced price. ;)

I must continue my experiments on the poor sims. (the main reason i played Sims)

On an unrelated note, how much of a resource hog is Sims 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

the only entertaining thing about the sims was finding new and better and fun ways to kill your neighbours. My record stands at 15 gravestones.

Khalim wrote:
    On an unrelated note, how much of a resource hog is Sims 2?

I found it got really really unplayably bad when you had a bigger house. Its grand with small ones.

My PC isn't the greatest - Athlon XP 2000+ with 512Mb RAM, but it does still run most new games smoothly. I think its probably cos I've got a great graphics card that most games put the biggest load on, but the Sims put more load on my processor which couldn't take it. Or something like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

also cross breeding wit The genetics system can be very entertaining, some ugly kids :P

it is abit of a system hog at times my A64 3400+, 1024ram, 5950ultra, can slow down a far bit if there is alot of sims in the house at once.

the addons are just a cash-cow for EA alright kinda like the fifa series but it has become the biggest selling PC game of all time.

but sims2 been crap? i though it was just as enjoyable (and long lasting) as many others such as hl2 and doom3.

but thats just wat i think.

• Advertisement

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    but sims2 been crap? i though it was just as enjoyable (and long lasting) as many others such as hl2 and doom3.

I agree with you there. I had great fun with it. Long lasting though? I'm not sure, compared to HL2 or Doom 3 then yes I guess it is. But compared to strategy/god games which is the category it would come under I think it can get old a bit quick.

This thread has reminded me of the game though and I'm tempted to take it for another spin over the weekend... it was definitely fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

thats kinda ironic since the thread says "the sims is crap....."
    but yeah your right it wud b under god/strategy games and other ones such as rome: total war had a much longer lifespan, but i was just comparing it to other popular names :P

Advertisement