Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL modem issues

• 03-06-2005 2:58am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm using a zyxel prestige 600 series modem on the IOL BB plus package and ever since the upgrade I've been having loads of trouble.
    There is rarely a time when I'll be browsing the internet when I don't need to reset the modem, it's quite a pain. It's wierd though, because it doesn't seem to be the internet getting cut off, sometimes I can view my gmail and boards.ie grand, but nothing else will load and just time out. It's not spyware or that, I run regular adaware, spybot and microsoft adware checks, use firefox, mcafee firewall and avg virus too (all up to date).
    Anyone else had this problem? Is the modem maybe unable to manage the speed and is making my connection unstable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

I'm having a similiar problem - but my modem is a Dlink. 4 Times in the last 3 weeks, I've been in the middle of surfing, when suddenly sites time out. I go into the modem connection screen, and its no longer connected. Do the usual reconnect etc, but doesn't work. I end up having to plug it out and back in again to get back online...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tHe_DaGs_BaGs

i had a similar problem on my trial.

i rang them, told them everything I'd tried and said if they didn't get it sorted that I'd be cancelling my trial and lo and behold it was fixed in a couple fo days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

Sounds like line noise
    Your line might not be capable of doing the upgraded speeds.

Try ring their Tech Support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Valehru

Im afraid it has nothing to do with the line and everything to do with the modem. I ended up turning my modem into a switch which just passes all traffic into my wireless router where i can set up all of the ports and other options I want. It also handles the actual connection....nifty huh...

Since doing this last october I have not had to reset my router once!!!

Later..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

Dodgy Router.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I had this problem for ages. Then, the other week, I entered the following into my LAC Internet Protocol Properties:
    Preferred DNS Server: 192.111.39.1
    Alternate DNS Server: 192.111.39.4

The IP/Subnet Mask/Default Gateway values had already been in place.

Anyway, since I entered the DNS values the problem has vanished.
    (fingers crossed)

Worth a try if you haven't already done this.

Your DNS resolves ascii urls to Ip addresses only.....it would make no difference on the router timing out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I had this problem for ages. Then, the other week, I entered the following into my LAC Internet Protocol Properties:
    Preferred DNS Server: 192.111.39.1
    Alternate DNS Server: 192.111.39.4

The IP/Subnet Mask/Default Gateway values had already been in place.

Anyway, since I entered the DNS values the problem has vanished.
    (fingers crossed)

Worth a try if you haven't already done this.
    you're dead right, i had the same problem and banged in eircom's (primary) and utv's (secondary) respective dns values and the problem hasnt happened since, must be 3 months now, used to be a daily problem too.
    Valehru wrote:
    Your DNS resolves ascii urls to Ip addresses only.....it would make no difference on the router timing out!!
    i think it's just a case of the dns server timing out, as internet programmes, and pages that have already been resolved work fine, i.e. p2p programs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I've been having huge problems also. Any help would be apprectiated. My line is going from full speed 170kB+ all the way down to 5kB speed regularly. At the mo im constantly timing out. What the hell is going on. I can ping <1ms to the router,so its not a strength problem. Im using a netgear DG834G.
    This is my stats:
    ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 2048 kbps 128 kbps Line Attenuation 26 db 14 db Noise Margin 18 db 24 db Is that too much noise?

[edit]I don't know why, ut my line problems only seem to happen when i have DC++ open.(obviously, even when nothing is uploading/Downloading.Could this have anything to do with it?

Of course DC++ will affect your ping and speed.......DC++ is a P2P program....therefore it is constantly sending "advertisments" to other hubs in order to just make a connection! There is an enormous amount of overhead to be factored into making a secure, stable and reliable to such a network. Turn of DC++ and I guarantee that your pings will improve drastically!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

It is also a good idea to enable 'nail up' in the router WAN settings if you haven't already done so.

I got mine to work properly through trial and (mainly) error. Hope you get yours right as it is a pain in the back (and elsewhere) bending over to constantly turn the modem off and on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Valehru wrote:
    Of course DC++ will affect your ping and speed.......DC++ is a P2P program....therefore it is constantly sending "advertisments" to other hubs in order to just make a connection! There is an enormous amount of overhead to be factored into making a secure, stable and reliable to such a network. Turn of DC++ and I guarantee that your pings will improve drastically!!

hmmm.suppose so.i've never before had problems with it.and ive running it for months

Advertisement