Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The gardai should be doing this

Options
  • 03-06-2005 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

"Its about Canadian police using 'bait cars' to catch criminals stealing cars."

BaitCar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

A great idea, if the police force in question are given funding and resources to put into it. I don't the Gardaí could afford though! Also, they say that 30,000 vehicles have been stolen in a population of 2 million (annual figure?). I wonder what the figure would be for Ireland???
    Perhaps they could make a few quid by selling some of the footage to TV stations too. Some of it would make for some good entertainment!

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Trev C

That would be a great idea. If they got RTE, TV3, or some production company to buy the car and equipment, and let them show the footage I reckon a good few would tune in aswell. Everyone's a winner except the spanners in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

The embarassment alone when caught would be enough to deter most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The police in the UK have been doing this for some time with modest success - they have to confine it to certain 'hot-spots' in order for it to be effective, but its great watching footage of the scumbags squirming.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

ENTRAPMENT - A person is 'entrapped' when he is induced or persuaded by law enforcement officers or their agents to commit a crime that he had no previous intent to commit; and the law as a matter of policy forbids conviction in such a case.

So a car thief can hardly call entrapment if they come along and steal a "bait" car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Knowing the sumbags, they'll just set it on fire.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is a sting operation.
    The lusk post office operation wasn't entrapment but works on the same principles as the bait car (except unfortunatley the car thieves don't get shot!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I suggest a bait car rigged with explosives. When the scumbag jumps in the doors lock and the car blows up. Everybodies a winner !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

not much use if there's no jail space to house them in is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Get them out on the roads with barrows, shovels and lots of tar, and have them fixing potholes.

Two problems sorted in one swoop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How about a "James Bond" type alarm where about 30000 volts are sent through the car door handles. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I remember someone saying before that entrapment isn't illegal under irish law anyway so that argument doesn't matter :)

They should put a couple of bait cars with mocked up fancy head units in liffey valley car park, they'd catch a heap of shams trying to rob them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Stephen wrote:
    I remember someone saying before that entrapment isn't illegal under irish law anyway so that argument doesn't matter :)

But the person who told you may have been lying, BL-Shtting or misinformed! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Prospect: quite probable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

css wrote:
    not much use if there's no jail space to house them in is it?

Problem solved:
    K-TRIC wrote:
    I suggest a bait car rigged with explosives. When the scumbag jumps in the doors lock and the car blows up. Everybodies a winner !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

program called swag on uk channel 5 where they do this to a car, leave the keys in it, the car has been modified so the car will sound a foghorn, lights flash and the car will then completly collapse, ie axles drop off and the car body collapses around the person who then legs it. Better if they locked them in the car and arrested them tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

couple of new vids on baitcar.com :)

Advertisement