Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox File Transfer

• 03-06-2005 9:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what kind of speeds I should be expecting when transfering files from my xbox to my pc via a crossover cable. There's about 30gig on my xbox and it's going to take about 30 odd hours at the current rate (280kB/s). Is there a way of improving this?

Also does the xbox turn itself off after a while of inactivity??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

IIRC I get about 7-8mb/sec. Something must b going wrong for you.

What programmes you using for the transfer? What is your network setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Ciaran500 wrote:
    IIRC I get about 7-8mb/sec. Something must b going wrong for you.

What programmes you using for the transfer? What is your network setup?

Using some FTP client I downloaded from the net. Connecting to the xbox grand but its taking ages. I'm transfering the files in bulk but I don't see how that could be a problem. Not sure whats going wrong to be honest. Is there an ftp client you'd reccommend?

I had a lot of problems setting up the connection, had to get a friend of my brothers to sort it out. I think the settings on the xbox where wrong. But I'm getting a connection now just a really slow one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

My Xbox is on my WLAN, so I get about 1.5Mb/sec.

The avalaunch/UnleashX dashboards feature the fastest transfers via some kind of boost feature, maybe you should try that.

Or try this

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/speed-up.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

Unfortunately boost mode only works for ftp clients that support it and the only PC one that I know of is built into Qwix which is tailored for transferring games to the xbox. It does boost ftp transfers between xboxes running unleashx or avalaunch by an extra 1-2Mbps.
    I reckon you have a dodgy crossover cable but I'd also reccomend that you get a decent ftp client as some of the free ones contain spyware. I have used flashfxp and ultrafxp but the safest as regards spyware would be to download Filezilla ftp client from www.sourceforge.net (just do a search on the site).

Thanks for the help. I'll try it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

definatly reccomend FlashFXP
    if that does not work for you try "Mapping Network Drive"
    Right click on network place,select "Mapping Network Drive",
    Click "sign up for online stora....."
    Click "choose another network location"
    Enter this as the location "ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.0.X:21" (change the x for number you have for the xbox ip.
    continue through setup,then go into network places click the new connection with xbox hooked up.
    This works faster for me,hopefully for you to
    Chris :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

That's a handy tip chrismon, thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

sprinkles wrote:
    Also does the xbox turn itself off after a while of inactivity??

You can turn on a 6 hour auto-off feature on the regular dash.
    Dunno about your mod tho..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Smart ftp is pretty quick and free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Try changing the packet size in the options for whatever FTP client your using. I had a similar problem to you when I was setting up my box and this sorted it.

• Advertisement

please explain further. Packet size you say....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭branners69

Your anti-virus software wouldnt be slowing you down??

Just a thought..

don't think so. I allowed the xbox to make the connection in Norton so it shouldn't be having an effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

sprinkles wrote:
    please explain further. Packet size you say....

Yep. Look you were asked what FTP client your using and wouldnt say for some reason so just download flashfxp so we can help you.

from the main menu, options > preferences > advanced. bottom right hand corner. packet size. play around with the setttings. It may have no effect. it may start transferring at 7mb, that sorted it for me.

Ive also heard of people finding out antivirus/firewalls were affecting them when they shouldnt have been. so you may want to disable them.

Sorry, I'm using ipswitch FTP. Its the only one I got working so I stuck with it. I'll downaload the flashxp and see if it helps. Cheers though.

Advertisement