Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography - Rivers HL

Options
  • 03-06-2005 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭

Right, so I heard juat a few weeks ago that *apparently meander and/or oxbow lakes are not acceptable as features..... however, if you do them, the only chance you have of getting good marks is to do them together (which will take up lots of time...
    So, just wonderin if I could get clarification on this from someone...

Also, if I decide to do V-shaped valleys and scrap the whole ox-bow lakes/meanders thing, what are the key points I need to include?
    I have some :
    lateral v vertical erosion
    processes
    influence of mass movement....

Help!

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Ox Bow lake - example: Inistiogue, River Nore, Co. Kilkenny.

-Semi-circular/horse-shoe shaped lake that occurs along a meander.
    -although considered a feature of deposition, erosion plays important role in formation
    -the river develops erosion on the outside bends of a pair of meanders
    - gradually destroying the neck of land seperating them
    -allows river flow shorter course
    -current travels quicker on outside of bend => lateral erosion
    -H.A and Abrasion (must explain)
    -inside convex bend deposition occurs
    -the meander encloses a penninsula of land as the erosion on concave bank continues the meander becomes more pronounced and neck on land becomes narrower.
    -during flood, river will cut through narrow neck of land and form new course
    -deposition continues along banks eventually cutting off old bend of river
    -ox-bow lake formed
    -evaporation - meander scar, mort lake.
    -occurs in mature stage of river

Ox-bow lake is perfect to use as a feature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

V-Valley:

2 Diagrams, one showing the processes of weathering and vertical erosion, the other showing a formed V Valley with interlocking spurs.

A V shaped valley is a good example of a river erosive landform. The above diagrams show how a V-shaped valley is formed. D1 shows the actual processes wich form the valley. Note the vertical erosion on the floor of the vally-Hydraulica action and abrasion(explain!!!) would be the dominant processes here. Note that weathering, especially forst action, is common on the upper reaches of the valley. This debris helps in the abrasion process. D2 shows a well developed V-valley as we may see today. Note the interlocking spurs that the river is unable to erode. The swirling action of the river often leads to potholes.

Hope that helps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Da_IRISH_ONE4U

im doing meanders as a feature... and yeah they are acceptable!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Right, so I heard juat a few weeks ago that *apparently meander and/or oxbow lakes are not acceptable as features..... however, if you do them, the only chance you have of getting good marks is to do them together (which will take up lots of time...
    So, just wonderin if I could get clarification on this from someone...

Also, if I decide to do V-shaped valleys and scrap the whole ox-bow lakes/meanders thing, what are the key points I need to include?
    I have some :
    lateral v vertical erosion
    processes
    influence of mass movement....

Help!

Friend of mine got a2 in LC and got her script checked, she did the river question from last year and got full marks, she just did interlocking spurs as youthful braiding as mature and levees and old....and some stuff about river rejuvanation...

what a minute why the hell am i posting this it's not gonna help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

I don't know.....

Anyway I have decicded to combine the two - meanders and ox-bow lakes as done in the red-book of sample answers - can get it all written up and diagram drawn in about 13mins....time is a bit tight....but it was always going to be anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cessy

yeah my teacher said u have to use the two together but it makes sense cuz ya cant have an ox bow lake without a meander!!and on that roadshow thing that was on in athlone a girl asked did they have to be done as one feature and the "expert "said yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

It's a bit junior certish though don't you think?...

I'd say do something different and a bit more difficult to maximise points if thats what you wanna do..but you'll pass the question anyway with those more than likely :).. blah I'm just a johnny pendantic pants nevermind!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hey lads does any one have idea what might be coming up in the pass history and higher geography

Advertisement