Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sat Nav in Aldi

Options
  • 03-06-2005 11:24am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭

from next thursday - €339
    http://www.aldi.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i see it works on push bikes.
    looks nifty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Any idea which maps it uses?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The Medion satnav systems are effectively Navigon Mobile Navigator 4, so Navteq maps, but I thinks it's a slightly different release from the standard MN4, so the maps may possibly be newer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Thats not half bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Navigon V4 is okay if you are in Dublin, Cork or belfast, but anywhere else its pretty much only national roads. The M50 still ends at dundrum on mine.

be prepared to spend extra money on maps if you want more detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

But is the software upgradable on this machine?

[guesswork] its PPC based, so maybe not upgradeable from the factory, but im sure the resources are available to stick newer software, at the very least you could put more modern maps on the storage card [/guesswork]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The Mapopolis stuff is excellent !. I downloaded some demo maps onto my iPaq before purchasing them and it works great, and it upgradeable FOC for 1 year !

It seams to cover everything, with no gaps,from what i've seen so far !

At €339 thats an excellent price for the kit with all the little add ons. I bought everything seperately, the PDA, the software, the memory card and the holder/charger and I'm pretty much at that price now. Only advantage my way is I have the extra functionality of the PDA too !

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

prospect wrote:
    But is the software upgradable on this machine?
    Most likely, little dude. It has "maps for Europe supplied on one CD-ROM", which to me means that you can hook it up to the PC, and get more maps.

hmm looking at mapoapolis ATM an MercMad's reccomendation.

nice, lightweight software. The voice is not so good, but worth trying for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Why would you bother paying so much on a glorified map

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

That review says the map data is from TeleAtlas, not NavTeq.

I wonder how good the coverage of Ireland is. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Hi All
    I `ve been trying to get info on this yesterday and am led to believe its actually a MDPNA 200.this is very similar to the 150 except the 150 had windows ce as it operation system and seemingly the 200 will have windows mobile 2003.
    This is also a sold by Medion under model no "MD95258" which is what i expect will appear on its bak label next thurs.

I am also reliably informed that it will run TOMTOM software if you so wish.The only info I cannot find out is who is suppliying the base mapping,ie,Navteq or TeleAtlas.

????

regards
    Eirlink

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Personal Navigation Assistant with Integrated GPS Receiver

each € 339.99

Unpack, switch on and navigate using this up-to-date personal navigation assistant, with built-in navigation software. This new technology allows the user to roam freely, without wires, by foot, cycle, car or motorbike. Includes maps of Ireland and the UK on the 256Mb MMC Card, and maps for Europe supplied on one CD-ROM.

* Voice output, coloured map and arrow navigation
    * Satellite supported position sensor with distance indication and distance bars for directional change
    * TFT display with 65,536 colours
    * Samsung 266MHz processor
    * Built-in MP3 player
    * Also includes in-car charger, car holder with suction cups, AC adaptor, wallet and earphones

If you get a bigger MMC card it should fit in one go. Also is it any cheaper up north ?

Digital compass
    http://www.aldi.ie/special_buys2/product_2315.html

apart form the light what is the advantage of these over a normal compass

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Biker.ie

Nice to see that Ireland could fit on a couple of 1.4mb floppys though.

I presume its a dublin-cork-galway - left,right,straight ahead there paddy and shir you'll be grand kind of job, Why the hell didnt they embed afew chris rea mp3s into that cab file or something to make us feel important.. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Biker.ie wrote:
    Why the hell didnt they embed a few chris rea mp3s into that cab file or something to make us feel important.. :D
    maybe 'cos he's not Irish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

apart form the light what is the advantage of these over a normal compass

in my experience, zilch.

completely inaccurate, unreliable crap.
    i bought one before,
    have to bloody calibrate the thing from the north star once a day,
    its a fcking compass for fcks sake :rolleyes:

can barely be used to read maps as the degree readings xhange enormously depending on the tilt if the compass,
    ie whatever microswitches the use are too sensitive/jumpy.

soend 30euro on a good perspex compass with glow in the dark readings and youll be way better off.

this is my opinion of a digi compass i got before,
    obviously the aldi one may be different.

i have been orienteering / map reading / hiking etc since about the age of 12.

maybe 'cos he's not Irish ?
    No I meant embed 'anything' to make it seem bigger, like england 160mb - Ireland 3.9 ? size is everything ! :D

Chalk, I thing you probably need a gyroscopic based compass (like whats used on cars, planes & ships), as the ordinary magnetic compass (ive got one of those digital ones too) tends to read inaccurate due to magnetic interferences from pretty much everything incl .steel, cables in buildings and typical electro magnetic fields inside a car for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I fitted gps hardware in my triumph but it rusted! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

So is this worth getting then or would one from HAlfords (€500 +) be better ? I need a lot of street level detail (In Dublin)

These are on sale today. Are they worth getting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

iMax wrote:
    These are on sale today. Are they worth getting ?

from the review on the net (see link in previsous post)
    they seem to be pretty good.
    it has them listed at 339 sterling.

BUT !

they don't seem to have any left in any of the dublin shops.
    i tried the parnell st. aldi at about 11am and the guy said don;t bother going anywhere else.
    i was still 50:50 and just wanted to see one.

/ds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

i went to the fonthill road store at 0930 and they were gone too

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I bought one today and I am so impressed with it. The screen quality and maps are great and it looks the dogs in the car. I got one in Newlands Cross at 9.05am and I think i got the second last one, but maybe they have more.

Have to say its a deadly little yoke, only about the size of a fag box !

It's got more than enough detail (without seeming cluttered) even down to filling stations etc. and all but the very newest road junctions. The reception is brilliant, and works indoors surprisingly enough. Pretty user friendly too- no need for manuals or any of that just type in a street address, press auto and thats it.

The 3D projection is probably its best feature, you're hovering like superman about 50ft above ground kinda thing, its more of a 'road map for dummies' effect that you'd want to be absolutely blind drunk to go astray with, and even then it calculates a new route to your destination automagically.

No more snarling and dicking around with A0 maps for this fella :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

TCP/IP wrote:
    I bought one today and I am so impressed with it. The screen quality and maps are great and it looks the dogs in the car. I got one in Newlands Cross at 9.05am and I think i got the second last one, but maybe they have more.

what maps does it use ?

what the map coverage like outside dublin/cork/galway ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

Biker.ie wrote:
    Have to say its a deadly little yoke, only about the size of a fag box !

Biker :

where did you pick it up and do you know if there are any left ?

/ds

If anyone can have the opportunity to pick up a second one I'd be more than willing to pay an extra €20 for your trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

How do you go about getting the maps for say france etc loaded onto it?

Advertisement