Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

In the news: Insurance company must provide quote for young driver

Options
  • 03-06-2005 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭

Probably posted already, but this story from eircom.net news
    Insurance company must provide quote for young driver

A DRIVER who was 23 when he was refused motor insurance on the grounds of his age has won a case taken through the Equality Authority.

His case has prompted the Authority to urge insurance companies to abolish age limits.

Ciaran Kennedy, now 28, from Drimnagh in Dublin applied to Premier Direct for insurance in 2001 but was told it was company policy not to quote drivers under 25.

"I had two years' driving experience on my own insurance and two on my father's insurance but they didn't even ask about that.

"I thought Premier Direct was being very unfair so I contacted the Equality Authority."

Four years later the case has been settled under the Equal Status Act and Hibernian Insurance, Premier Direct's parent company, has confirmed that they now offer insurance to all ages and also to provisional licence holders.

Welcoming the settlement Niall Crowley, CEO of the Equality Authority said: "Age limits exclude people without any consideration of their individual situation or circumstances."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes but they will probably give him a quote now of about €5k. I'm afraid it just means that instead of young drivers not getting quotes from certain insurance companies they will just be getting silly quotes instead.

IMO I think what needs to happen is that insurance companies should be made publish a breakdown of how they calculate these quotes. The same way when you get the bill at a restaurant, it gives a detailed breakdown of everything you had.

Advertisement