Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My new(ish) BMW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

K-TRIC wrote:
    I just won my dream car on ebaymotors.de. It's unreal the bargains you can get over there when it comes to cars. Now I just have to get it home and reg it.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4552514372

Says the winner is a German eBay account? Its quite cheap, and clean - but it is very high mileage and quite low spec....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nice car.

Have you checked out what modifications have to be made to the car in order to make it legal to drive over here? I don't know the exact details but small things like adjusting the headlights, etc for driving on the right hand side of the road will have to be made. Have you checked out the VRT on it? How much more expensive is the insurance on a LHD car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I'd be surprised if you couldn't have got a 1990 316 with 224K (edit sorry - 140k miles) or better for less money in the UK. Is there a reason you wanted a LHD though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I'd have to agree.
    IrishRover wrote:
    I'd be surprised if you couldn't have got a 1990 316 with 224K (edit sorry - 140k miles) or better for less money in the UK. Is there a reason you wanted a LHD though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The winning account is my girlfreinds, she insisted on using her's. We are registering it in her mums name and address in Germany and then using it here. So tax and insurance will be very cheap.

The reason we bought that one is because it is in mint condition and I would rather a car with 140000 German motorway miles over a car from the UK with similar roads to ourselves.

Does anyone know what effect an induction kit will have on this engine ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Yeah, fair enough so, you sound like you have reasons to want to buy in Germany. I didn't mean to be putting you down in any way at all by the way. It's just there's a lot more travel involved in bringing it back then from the UK obviously and also of course if you're going to be using it on Irish roads you'll be sitting on the wrong side. Maybe you'll be driving it on the continent some of the time though. Maybe you will leave it over there for 6 months and get around VRT. I wouldn't bother though as I reckon you'll only have to pay the minimum rate of €315 - very annoying that when you bought the car for not much more!

By the way, UK roads aren't like Irish roads. For a start, they have motorways! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

enjoy your new motor and I wish yuu best of luck with it .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Nurnberg Ring tbh.

;) Just to make sure it's OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

K-TRIC wrote:
    We are registering it in her mums name and address in Germany and then using it here. So tax and insurance will be very cheap.

So that'll be a German reg and insurance then?
    And if you get stopped by customs / gardai you're just tourists, right?

You better make damn sure, that your (your girlfriend's mother's) insurance is ok with the car being taken out of the country and to be driven by someone else..

Even if that is the case, there probably is a time limit on this.

Also the German NCT needst to be taken into consideration ...no NCT ...no insurance cover.

Leaving "moral" and Irish insurance and tax issues aside ...you DO NOT want to have an accident here only to find out that mumsie's insurance won't pay up ...you could be f***** for life !!

peasant wrote:
    So that'll be a German reg and insurance then?
    And if you get stopped by customs / gardai you're just tourists, right?

You better make damn sure, that your (your girlfriend's mother's) insurance is ok with the car being taken out of the country and to be driven by someone else..

Even if that is the case, there probably is a time limit on this.

Also the German NCT needst to be taken into consideration ...no NCT ...no insurance cover.

Leaving "moral" and Irish insurance and tax issues aside ...you DO NOT want to have an accident here only to find out that mumsie's insurance won't pay up ...you could be f***** for life !!

We had an accident with one of her mums cars before, when to court and it wasn't an issue.

• Advertisement

I take it you DO realize that you are breaking the law anyway? :D

peasant wrote:
    I take it you DO realize that you are breaking the law anyway? :D

How ???? Please do explain

If a car is brought permanently into Ireland (i.e. other than a short trip / holiday / etc) it has to be Irish registered and VRT paid on it.

The fact that you don't actually own the car doesn't really matter. You are resident in Ireland, you use the car permanently ...therefore you have to register it here and pay VRT and road tax.

Read up about VRT and road tax on oasis and the revenue website.

Personally i don't really care ...as long as you are properly insured, should you happen to crash into my car.

Customs, on one of their more and more frequent checks might have a different view of the matter though :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

peasant wrote:
    Customs, on one of their more and more frequent checks might have a different view of the matter though :D
    AIUI these 'frequent checks' apparently now include calling to homes where a non-RoI registered car is frequently parked!

You can always count on Boards.ie for some unwanted advice :rolleyes: . I have never seen such a huge collection of experts in one place. This is just amazing.

Now wheres the number for the Guiness Book of Records ???

hey presto ...another smartass :D

Good luck with customs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

K-TRIC wrote:
    You can always count on Boards.ie for some unwanted advice :rolleyes: . I have never seen such a huge collection of experts in one place. This is just amazing.

Now wheres the number for the Guiness Book of Records ???

What were you expecting? People to encourage you to break the law?

My uncle is an insurance broker in Germany, I've looked into ways of doing something similar to this legally and its nigh on impossible.

peasant wrote:
    hey presto ...another smartass :D

Good luck with customs :rolleyes:

They haven't been a problem for the last 4 years and I can't see them being a problem now. After you get talking to them you realise that they're a nice bunch of lads :D

K-TRIC wrote:
    They haven't been a problem for the last 4 years and I can't see them being a problem now. After you get talking to them you realise that they're a nice bunch of lads :D

Ho so, are you saying you came clean and told the truth and they said "aah fair enough so, on you go with your law-breaking"?

Stekelly wrote:
    Ho so, are you saying you came clean and told the truth and they said "aah fair enough so, on you go with your law-breaking"?

Yep, pretty much. Explained the situation and there's nothing they can do. The words ass and covered spring to mind.

• Advertisement

So why does anybody bother paying VRT and how are the C&E hitting the Eastern Europeans with fines so?

Stekelly wrote:
    So why does anybody bother paying VRT and how are the C&E hitting the Eastern Europeans with fines so?

If you read the thread you will find out why I'm not paying VRT. The registered owner of the vechicle is residing in the country it is registered and the German insurance covers anyone driving the car in any European state.

All new motor vehicles and vehicles brought into Ireland are subject to Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) and must be registered with the Revenue Commissioners. (The Revenue Commissioners are responsible for the collection of taxes in Ireland on behalf of the Irish Government). Every motor vehicle in the State, (with the exception of vehicles brought in temporarily by a visitor, must be registered with the Revenue Commissioners

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html

The car will eventually be going back to Germany so I really can't see the reasoning behind paying VRT on it, although I have no problem paying it.

This wasn't the reason I posted originally, I was looking for advice and opinions on the car itself.

But as I said Boards.ie is great for unwanted advice. I've got loads of it here since I joined up.

K-TRIC wrote:
    The car will eventually be going back to Germany so I really can't see the reasoning behind paying VRT on it, although I have no problem paying it..

In fairness though, anyone could say that. I mean the general useable life of most cars that are used everyday is about 10 -15 years in an ecomemy such as ours so "eventually doesnt really cover that long a time.

Well, here's my opinion on your car;

It's a fifteen year old bottom of the rung beemer.

It's white.

It was cheap.

Yippeee :D

BFD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Can see where he's coming from - he's driving his mother in laws car over here, and not importing it, so won't be paying VRT...

Seems like an awful lot of hassle to me for a car worth so little - could understand it being done with a car thats going to incur a high VRT charge.

I know for a fact that there is a big clamp down at the moment on unregistered cars, know one guy who had his car taken off him, and another who was warned it'd be taken off him if VRT wasn't paid by the end of the day, so would be interested in hearing if you do have any grief.

Anyway - cars looks clean as I said earlier, don't bother with an induction kit, you'll be wasting your money on any engine modifications except for new spark plugs and fresh oil. I'd try and arrange to get a set of the BBS basketweave alloys while you're back in Germany, they'll set it off, and I'd get your rear bumper colour coded.

kdevitt wrote:

Anyway - cars looks clean as I said earlier, don't bother with an induction kit, you'll be wasting your money on any engine modifications except for new spark plugs and fresh oil. I'd try and arrange to get a set of the BBS basketweave alloys while you're back in Germany, they'll set it off, and I'd get your rear bumper colour coded.

Thanks for that kdevitt ;) , I wasn't sure about the induction kit.

finally someone that can answer a straight question.

talking about a straight question ...

As far as I recall the car isn't "yours" anyway :D:D:D

SCNR

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The tax payable on it would be about €315 - why not just register it?

STATISTICAL CODE: 40585200
    MAKE: BMW
    MODEL: 316
    VERSION: I E30 02DR / SALOON / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 224000 KILOMETERS
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): DECEMBER 1990
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €991
    RATE OF TAX: 25.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €315

Advertisement