Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodgy Sellers?

Options
  • 03-06-2005 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Just found these on Ebay.ie
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9809&item=4554102556&rd=1

If you go to their site: http://bp-motos.dl.am it shows a good few bikes/quads, but gives no information about them.

Links on the above site also take you to a site http://www.wind-run.com which is in the same style etc.

I looked up the whois info for wind-run.com and it says it's hosted in Melbourne, Australia.

The prices are wayy to good for them to be legit.

I sent them an email, using the contact us form on the site, and this is what I got back:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in our products. The model that you are interested is a 2005 with 0 km . It is brand new and it comes with a 5 days returning policy and a 2 years full warranty issued by the manufacturer available worldwide. We have available all factory colours.
    The final price is 1078 euros including shipping fees and taxes to your location. The only tax which is not included is the registration tax which is about 300 euros.
    We accept payment in the following 2 methods :
    -500 euros in advance using Western Union and the rest when the order arrives to your location
    -entire payment in advance in our bank account.
    As soon as the transfer is confirmed in any of the 2 methods we will ship to your location. The estimated time of arrival is 3-4 days. The order will be delivered with all the required documents in english and also you will receive a legalised copy of them in your official language. You can find us in Palermo and Milano, Italy.
    We await your reply with complete interest.
    Best regards,
    Evola Motori SPA

A 2005 bike for 1100 EUR? I don't think so..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Once anything mentions Western Union, i immediately move onto the next item, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

dawballz wrote:
    using Western Union

run for the hills.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

wow a 2005 yamaha YZ450 for 3000 euro including tax and P&P. Aren't I lucky.......... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Western Union, the scam artist's best friend.

If I was in charge of that company, I would be seriously considering doing something to make it less attractive to scum like this, as they must be getting a seriously bad rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

the whois for wind-run.com gives a bloke in florida in the US

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Oh yeah, sorry, was looking at the wrong part. Registrar was in Melbourne, bloke in Florida.
    Either way, he told me he is based in Italy.
    Just emailed him back there with a bunch of questions. Will post his response.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

notify ebay support also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your swift reply.

Evola Motori SpA.
    Via Leonardo da Vinci, 586
    Palermo 90135
    Phone/Fax: 091/67.43.022
    We will not take any photos of the shop but please do not hesitate to visit us and we can conclude the transaction the same day as you arrive.
    Any payments that are not made online are accepted by eBay e-trust which provides confirmation of the transfer details and also insured the transaction for amounts up to 10.000.
    If you want we can accept payment using UPS third party service ( you provide them with the Western Union transfer details. They keep them private and proceed to ship to your location. As soon as you sign for delivery , after inspecting the order , they release the funds to us.) We consider this method a fast and reliable one because the moto will be received until we receive any money and in the same time we know that you are 100% interested due to the funds submited to UPS.
    Best regards,
    Evola Motori SPA

dawballs <dawballs@gfhgf.com> wrote:

That is very cheap for a brand new bike. Do you have a shop or warehouse I could visit? What's the address?
    How do you deliver the bikes? Would you be able to take a photo of the shop or warehouse and send it to me please?
    I looked up the whois information for your site and it says it is based in America, why is that?
    Do you not accept credit card? Do you have a phone number? I must say, the contact information is very limited on your site.
    Thanks for your quick response and I look forward to hearing from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

If theyve given you a street address its probably possible that while not a scam, the bikes are so cheap because theyve fallen off the back of a lorry? Given its location in Sicily...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Blut wrote:
    If theyve given you a street address its probably possible that while not a scam, the bikes are so cheap because theyve fallen off the back of a lorry? Given its location in Sicily...

doubtful, italy is where alot of western union scams take place, the street addres is probably that of mcdonalds, in sicily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you want we can accept payment using UPS third party service ( you provide them with the Western Union transfer details. They keep them private and proceed to ship to your location. As soon as you sign for delivery , after inspecting the order , they release the funds to us.) We consider this method a fast and reliable one because the moto will be received until we receive any money and in the same time we know that you are 100% interested due to the funds submited to UPS.

That sounds kinda half legit, doesn't it ?
    No experience with UPS 3rd party service though ...one should investigate ...

The bikes on the other hand seem to me to be US re-imports. The way the dollar is at the moment, some of these prices could just be for real. Don't forget ...VRT would still come on top ...so they're not comparable to Irish prices.

Problem would be the American spec ...not necessarily street legal in Europe.
    You might have to spend quite some money and time to get parts / paperwork etc organized.

On the other hand 11000 Euro for a big Beemer Cruiser ...dreaming here ... :D

peasant wrote:
    That sounds kinda half legit, doesn't it ?
    No experience with UPS 3rd party service though ...one should investigate ...

The bikes on the other hand seem to me to be US re-imports. The way the dollar is at the moment, some of these prices could just be for real. Don't forget ...VRT would still come on top ...so they're not comparable to Irish prices.

Problem would be the American spec ...not necessarily street legal in Europe.
    You might have to spend quite some money and time to get parts / paperwork etc organized.

On the other hand 11000 Euro for a big Beemer Cruiser ...dreaming here ... :D

its just too cheap to be legit, even without vat this is WAY too cheap, cheap enough to go to italy and collect it i suppose and ship it yourself http://www.wind-run.com/VRSCAVRod.html

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

Back to the eBay side of things the seller is 100% dodgy.
    The western union payments, as mentioned above.
    Do a search on the seller and account comes up as less than 1 month old.
    No viewable feedback.
    You can search auctions the seller has bid on and auctions the current winner has bid on.
    You find a trail of magical 10 minute auctions from/by bidders/sellers who's accounts are also less than a month old and whose items listed are either private or have been removed from eBay. You see this occasionally with people generating bogus ratings.

As Kersh said move to the next item

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ohh ...and yes ...the prices "include all taxes and free shipping" ...but do they include European import duties? (as in imported from the US) ...doubt that ...

I think there is some doubt as to whether this is legit. There really shouldn't be as it is as obvious as any of the Nigerian scams.
    Look at their payment terms...
    We accept payment in the following 2 methods :
    -500 euros in advance using Western Union and the rest when the order arrives to your location
    -entire payment in advance in our bank account.

kbannon wrote:
    I think there is some doubt as to whether this is legit. There really shouldn't be as it is as obvious as any of the Nigerian scams.
    Look at their payment terms...

thats true, mayb il mail him now asking him when i can pick up my Vrod!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

last i have just found this on ups website worth a read

ups

UPS has become aware of increasing fraudulent activity through the misappropriation of the UPS name and brand. Please note:

* The fraud often involves requests for advance wire transfers of money to pay for goods ordered on the Internet and allegedly shipped via UPS.
    * Existence of a tracking number is not necessarily proof that a shipment has been given to UPS.
    * UPS does not request advance payment from recipients for goods ordered online, and as such we advise customers to be wary of requests for advance payment for goods ordered online.
    * If you have doubts as to whether UPS is in fact transporting a shipment intended for delivery to you, please contact UPS through the contact details given on your country’s web page.

For more information regarding secure payment services offered by UPS, please learn more at Exchange Collect and C.O.D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

also the 0 feedback is a dead giveaway

they have been de-listed from ebay now anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ebay have pulled the advert

But google indicates there may be a genuine dealer at the address http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=Via+Leonardo+da+Vinci%2C+586+Palermo+90135+&btnG=Search&meta=

As to whether they have any connection to the website is another matter.

There is of course the possibility that the lists opn some of those websites are the Italian equivalent of Stubbs Gazette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Stephen wrote:
    Western Union, the scam artist's best friend.

If I was in charge of that company, I would be seriously considering doing something to make it less attractive to scum like this, as they must be getting a seriously bad rep.

I work for the company and in it's defence we do clearly state in the T&C that we aren't liable for non delivery of goods or services and for EU countries we have an extra form detailing the dangers of sending for goods and our non liability which people have to sign as well.

Basically the company makes a nice profit from idiots. So when you say WU is the scam artists best friend thats slightly incorrrect. It's the people who can't see past such a "good deal" that are the scam artists best friend we're just the go between :)

And as someone that works for them I can say with 100% certainty it's a fraud.

A: they ask to use us to send a down payment, never ever buy something and send the money through WU unless you personally know the payee.
    B: it's Italy, massive amounts of ebay fraud to that country although Spain is on the up with lotto fraud. Romania isn't as popular as it once was either.
    C: They use UPS, commonly used in this scam

D: Isn't it obvious it's a scam anyway????

Advertisement