Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IC7-G Chipset Fan

Options
  • 03-06-2005 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I took off the chipset fan because the bearings are worn hoping I could do something to ease the wear till I can get another heatsink for it or something. But now that I have it off, im unsure about putting it back on. There is some thermal paste on the heatsink and the chipset. Should I clean it or just stick it back on?

I have TIM cleaner and im looking for my Artic Silver 5. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You will get much better contact and heat transfer from AS5 than the standard thermal compound they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The spot were the heatsink makes contact with the chipset i cant some of the thermal paste off. I cant scrape it with a card or nothing. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

razor blade might be your best bet tbh.

i have an IC7-MAX3 which most likely has the same northbridge cooler you have.

my plan is to take it off completely and replace it with this: http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=7198&type=6&sid=1102346x0

as long as your case has some decent cooling in it, you should be fine with just that big thing with no fan on it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Since I took off the heatsink and fan, blew off the dust and re-atached it, I havent had any problems with the fan, but its still is noisy.

How are ya going to attach that heatsink to the chipset? Maybe my board differs slightly in that there is no mount holes around the chipset

didn't get round to it yet tbh. think it's attached at the moment with a wire clip hooked into some loops on the board, which I could try and re-use or make my own version for the new HS.

will be crossing that bridge when i come to it i guess! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Here's what i did with mine, its a bit annoying that they don't have the four holes around it.. I just use the metal clip from the orig NB cooler. The new HSF is a microcool unit. Cools V well with the fan off, i only ever turn it on for OCing..

thanks for the info Ross. might be back on to you when I finally get round to doing the work!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

I replaced mine too. Its a noisy bugger. I got the Zalman NB47J, but you have to glu it on or mode it yourself to fit. I took the easy way and out and glued it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I would have glued the microcool but i want to keep it when i go to sell the mobo...

Advertisement