Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford player signs for Sunderland

• 03-06-2005 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

http://http://www.football365.com/news/story_154026.shtml

Murphy joins Sunderland
    Friday June 03 2005

Sunderland have completed the £100,000 signing of highly-rated Irish striker Daryl Murphy.

The 22-year-old Waterford forward has signed a two-year deal after passing a medical and agreeing personal terms to become Mick McCarthy's first capture of the summer.

"He is a target man, a big, powerful striker and I am looking forward to seeing him here," said McCarthy. "We believe he has a bright future and I am delighted we have been able to bring him to Sunderland."

What does anyone know about this guy, can he cut it in the Premiership. I'm assuming he is Irish. Will he be a prospect for the International team.
    Our EL following members can enlighten us all I hope.
    Good luck to him anyway!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

£100,000 is a disgrace !! Waterford and Cork (only for Judas Dolan) got shafted with such little amount of cash.

I reckon Murphy will do well in EPL.

The main issue IMO is the lack of one type of contract that all EL players will sign. That way they could have a minimum £250,000 buy out clause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dunno anything about the player but the deals not so bad - if Murphy gets sold on Waterford FC stand to make a decent wedge out of it. Or does that only apply to under-age players? Or am I talking out of my as??

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Murphy is a handy player, but a jump to a team which will struggle in the Prem may not be the best move in the world for him.

As for international prospect, well he has scored goals at Under 21 level, so its not beyond possibility that he will do likewise across the water. I wish him all the best, but as said above, Waterford Utd have way undersold themselves with a measly €100k. If he were to tarnsfer from a division 3 club to a prem club, it would be £500k stg at least.

The eL will never move forward as long as the player drain continues, especially as such piss poor prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

He spent some time with QPR a couple of seasons ago...he's a nice lad and hopefully will do well over there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

gimmick wrote:
    As for international prospect, well he has scored goals at Under 21 level, so its not beyond possibility that he will do likewise across the water. I wish him all the best, but as said above, Waterford Utd have way undersold themselves with a measly €100k. If he were to tarnsfer from a division 3 club to a prem club, it would be £500k stg at least.

The eL will never move forward as long as the player drain continues, especially as such piss poor prices.

First off it was £100k not €100k and that is a major exageration about a div 3 players fee. It depends on the player and many a player has moved for less than £100k it all depends on the team buying him and how good the player is.

Saying that I think Murphy might be worth slightly more but he is still unproven at that level so sunderland go out spending loads on him.
    All the best though I love to see Irish Players making it at the top level.

Would this be considered a bad thing for the EL if they lose their better players.Maybe we should be trying to keep them over here to develope the league

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote:
    Would this be considered a bad thing for the EL if they lose their better players.Maybe we should be trying to keep them over here to develope the league

Of course it would be considered a bad thing, but most are realistic to know it is inevitable. The blow could be eased if the fees were not so utterly pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Everyones going on about €100k being pathetic but I can't remember an EL player going for more (admittedly I have a crap mem when it comes to transfers fees) so it has to be a step in the right direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Ritchie foran went to carlise for something similar i believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Noel Hunt went to Dunfermline for €250k +. Got knows where Shamrock Rovers spent the money!

Kingp35 wrote:
    First off it was £100k not €100k and that is a major exageration about a div 3 players fee. It depends on the player and many a player has moved for less than £100k it all depends on the team buying him and how good the player is.

Thats a load of rubbish ! £100k transfer fee is a joke !! It should be at least 3 times that. Its only what Waterford deserve.

The EL could really be going places if they had proper people to manage the league !!

A single contract which all players signed would stop all this crap from happening.

The get out clause should have been at least €250,000 or €300,000.

The league will never develop if English club continue to swipe good players away for next to nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Murphy and Doyle scored the goals for the U-21's tonight. It finished 2-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

It's like salt in the wounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Kingp35 wrote:
    Maybe we should be trying to keep them over here to develope the league
    Ship them off to premiership clubs so we can develop the Irish national team. Sure, I'm all for developing the eircom league, but never at the expense of the national side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Balfa wrote:
    Ship them off to premiership clubs so we can develop the Irish national team. Sure, I'm all for developing the eircom league, but never at the expense of the national side.

So cap them while in the league, they don't turn into good players the minute they cross the water.

The best players will always go abroad, but we should be looking to compete at least with the lower league clubs and keep those players here.

Balfa wrote:

comments like this make no sense whatsoever. Ah sure why dont the clubs just give the best players for free :rolleyes: cop on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Thats a load of rubbish ! £100k transfer fee is a joke !! It should be at least 3 times that.

He may be worth £300,000 , but do you honestly beleive a team entering the Premier League is going to spend that much money on a player that they would see as untested , if Waterford asked for £300,000 I would say Sunderland would have looked for someone else and Waterford could have just said no to the £100,000 but they may feel that they need the money and that it would be unfair to stop him playing for a big club .

waterford couldnt say no because sunderland triggered a very low buy out clause.

THe player is worth at least £300k. An imaginative contract could have been arranged like £100k now and the other £200k at the end of the season if Sunderland decide to keep him.

This kind of crap is bad for the E.L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Well Waterford must be happy with the price if they set a clause at that price , but im kinda puzzled as to why it is so low .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its not a bad price as posted above not many have gone for more.
    Hunt Foran Byrne would be the ones i can think of, what i would like to see is a EL player go to another club for that amount, that would be a big step.

And as Cork have that amount now wonder if they will buy a big name player to appease their fans who seem to think going to Sunderland or Reading is a step down :rolleyes:

kdjac

Balfa wrote:

:D :rolleyes: You are kidding right? If not, that is the most ridiculous post ever.

Have you ever even been to an eL game???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

He didnt spend time at QPR, he was at Luton but was released a few years ago and came back to Waterford. Sunderland might have included some extra's in the contract but clubs are not forced to disclose certain add on fee's. There might be add on clauses like number of appearances, full international caps, number of goals scored. Darryl is a great player and still at a young age can learn from experienced premiership and previously championship strikers. All I can say is that I wish him the best of luck and thank him for not joining Ipswich because I would have had to call him a scummer.

Lets not forget Mick McCarthys eye for talented young players. He did after all, rebuild Sunderland AFC with nobodies from the lower divisions, and turned them into Championship winners.

Advertisement