Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A discussion on SF,the IRA,and some views on opinions about their relationship

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sand wrote:
    So if you dont view protecting murderers and attempting to sabotage a police investigation as reason to withold your vote, then what is serious enough in your eyes? What would be unacceptable activity for a political party that would ensure you couldnt vote for them in good conscience, regardless of their stated positions? Theres nothing suitable objectionable in their attitude to the McCartney murder. SFIRA taking the oath and sitting in the House of Commons? Would that be enough for you to remove your vote?

At the end of the day, you vote for them. You give them a mandate to carry out *all* their activities, including the ones you claim not to support. Youd best be sure that the activities that you claim you dont support are ones that you can live with.

Well you see SF and the IRA as the same group, I don't and I believe Sinn Fein can bring an end to the IRA and peace to this Island so that is why I have voted for them

Sand wrote:
    A)SFIRA are not the majority of nationalists. They represent barely 1 in 10. Theres a reason for that.
    B)That people vote for SFIRA says more about their beliefs than anyone elses.
    You said that anyone who supports SF is scum, now you said anyone who votes for SF is supporting them so going by the election results the majority of Nationalists in Northern Ireland support SF so you think the majority of nationalists in the north are scum :confused:

Sand wrote:
    Its not an issue, its only a distraction you boys want to use to drag the thread hopelessly off topic, in time honoured fashion. I'm not going to help you with that. There is quite simply no other political party in the Dail that has a terrorist army and a permissive attitude to criminal activity. None. Hence any attempt to make any other party morally equivalent to SFIRA is doomed to failure and will be tiresome to wade through. Read the topic. If you cant post within the boundaries of the topic, then dont post.

Oh right so you can call me scum because of the party I have voted for but when asked what party you support you refuse to answer, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sand wrote:

Its not an issue, its only a distraction you boys want to use to drag the thread hopelessly off topic, in time honoured fashion. I'm not going to help you with that. There is quite simply no other political party in the Dail that has a terrorist army and a permissive attitude to criminal activity. None. Hence any attempt to make any other party morally equivalent to SFIRA is doomed to failure and will be tiresome to wade through. Read the topic. If you cant post within the boundaries of the topic, then dont post.

So you deem your demand for other posters to answer your question of 'Who do you vote for?' to be more important than if someone else was to ask you the same question?

It is either totally irrelevant or everyone puts their cards on the table but you seem to want the a la carte system of questions.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It is either totally irrelevant or everyone puts their cards on the table but you seem to want the a la carte system of questions.
    I think it's pretty obvious that Sand doesn't vote for Sinn Féin. A question about any other party is off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

irish1 wrote:
    when asked what party you support you refuse to answer, fair enough.

No...when asked, he points out that its off-topic.

Its a tactic you should be well familiar with.

You could ask him to answer it and have it split off to another topic, I suppose, although other than "What party do you support", it doesn't really merit a topic...and besides...you already took the mods to task about splitting off topics in the Discussion topic....

Actually, screw it. I agree with Sand. Its got nothing to do with this discussion, other than being a distractionary tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

murphaph wrote:
    I only vote because with our (in my opinion stupid) PR system I like to run through all the other candidates and make sure I don't give any preference for SF. I hate them. I hate sleaze-bag Gerry Armani and Martin-sit-ee-ation-McGuinness. I'd respect them more if they'd just admit what they are (members or at least former members of the IRA at the highest level). People have voted for them because they offer a (perceived) departure from the bland mix that goes for political parties here. They do more 'work' on the ground than anyone else. Up north they're well known as the folks to ask about which benefits you're 'entitled' to. A pack of wasters the lot of 'em. I hate Ahern and FF in general, but could anyone seriously imagine the economic 'management' we'd see under a SF government? You think it's a banana republic now??? Haha, just wait!
    Good for you, as can be seen by the rise of Sinn Fein in northern Ireland and the freestate not everybody shares your views. I think the more that Sinn Fein are bashed by politicians and the media in the republic of Ireland the bigger they will get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

axer wrote:
    Good for you, as can be seen by the rise of Sinn Fein in northern Ireland and the freestate not everybody shares your views. I think the more that Sinn Fein are bashed by politicians and the media in the republic of Ireland the bigger they will get.
    If it wasn't for PR I doubt SF would get any seats in Dail Eireann. SF are a one trick pony and their entire 'agenda' would be thrown out the window should they actually get into government and had a chat with the senior civil servants as to what and what would not bankrupt the state (ie reunification would help sink the republic under the weight of the social welfare drain in NI). As the years go by more and more people will wise up to the charade that SF are. I generally dislike all politicians, but Adams & Co. are much worse.

As for people not sharing my views, thankfully we at least have a democracy. If SF ran the show then dissenters would all probably go the way of Robert McCartney.

Advertisement