Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking RAM

Options
  • 03-06-2005 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Got me some new OCZ 3200 1GB Premier Series 2.5-3-3-7

Originally I had 512MB of slightly better stuff, 2-2-2-5.

I overclocked the P4 from 2.6 to 3.0. That seemed to be a solid limit. However i had to put the ratio to 5:4. The RAM was then running (underclocked) at 178 MHz.

Now, with this new RAM I want to try get to 3GHz with the chip again but try keep the ratio 1:1.

Where should i start trying to loosen the timings. I want try avoid upping the voltage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

The CAS (first number) is generally the one that makes the most difference. Try upping that to 3 to see if it makes a difference.
    Upping the voltage isn't that bad, and can generally help stability, maybe up it by .1v to around 2.6-7 to see if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Get memtest (www.memtest.org) and burn a bootable CD, you can then use this to check where your mem properly craps out.

BTW, did you try running it at those (stock) timings at your OC??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

haven't tried 231MHz fsb yet with the stock timings.

browsing it now with 225 and seems fine. gonna up it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ok here's my results so far:

Stock timing: 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 7

Stock Timing - 230FSB - Boots (Fails with Prime 95)

Stock Timing - 225FSB - Boots (Seems fine, left prime 95 for a couple of mins).

3-3-3-7 - 230FSB - Won't boot

3-3-3-7 - 225FSB - Won't boot

3-3-3-7 - 220FSB - Hangs in POST

So what timings should i try change to achieve 231MHz?

That will get me to the 3GHz that i know the P4 is capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Up the voltage to at least 2.8v if it isnt there already. 2.8 will do no harm at all, its barely any increase. Some mad people run their ram at over 3.5v........... Although that has a tendency to kill sticks pretty quick

• Advertisement
Advertisement