Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this REALLY cheating?

Options
  • 03-06-2005 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

When you're in the exam are you given the writing booklet before the actual exam paper??

If yes, then for history is it ok to start writing your special topic before you even get the exam paper? It would take a bit of pressure don't ya think?? Or is it actually considered cheating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If you do it quietly and don't draw attention to yourself, this is something i done for my leaving(5 years ago :o)

I've always done this in exams, take the last page of the answer book and fill it full of stuff you know(or just crammed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Doubt it's considered cheating!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Of course its not cheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

What if you write down the essay in a wrong way to which it's asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭KM

of course it is cheating, the exam should be completed in the time allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 TailFeather

Only Human wrote:

The special topic is always the same question: Write the special topic you have studied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

My friend told me she was advised to do this by a person who had done it. It's hardly cheating if it's information you have in your head. This History exam is so unfair anyway you might as well gain all the extra minutes you need.

Although it certainly is against the teachings of our teacher who said you should do the special topic 4th. This is because doing it first is like a false sense of security cos you know it inside out then you'll face all these much harder essays that require more thought and your confidence will only slip from there. It's advised to keep it forth so that the examiner will think it's your last essay and it's meant to have a positive psychological effect that when the examiner finds you HAVE done a 5th essay he/she will throw the points at you.

But pit that against a few extra minutes...i don't know really, depends how much time you think you'll gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Nidge wrote:
    My friend told me she was advised to do this by a person who had done it. It's hardly cheating if it's information you have in your head. This History exam is so unfair anyway you might as well gain all the extra minutes you need.

Although it certainly is against the teachings of our teacher who said you should do the special topic 4th. This is because doing it first is like a false sense of security cos you know it inside out then you'll face all these much harder essays that require more thought and your confidence will only slip from there. It's advised to keep it forth so that the examiner will think it's your last essay and it's meant to have a positive psychological effect that when the examiner finds you HAVE done a 5th essay he/she will throw the points at you.

But pit that against a few extra minutes...i don't know really, depends how much time you think you'll gain.

That's an interesting theory...about doing it fourth...I reckon I'll still do it first to calm myself a bit but still, I like that one!
    I might try getting a few sentences down, assuming I have an unobservent/very sound examiner!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

KM wrote:
    of course it is cheating, the exam should be completed in the time allowed.
    agree with this statement.

so you're in the 100m in the olympics and you just sligh a 1 second head start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

If the examiners don't see it, it's not cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

And what if they do? What happens then? Surely you'd get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

It is cheating.

You cannot start doing anything (inluding opening up the paper) before EVERYONE in the hall can do it. Otherwise your getting an advantage.

Saying that, I am sure people do it and you will prolly get away with it, in the end it won't net you much of a gain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

My Geography teacher in the institute told us to start writing the special topic before the exam was handed out...... can't remember if i did it or not (did LC last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

was told by someone the examiner we have at our school leaves them start 15 mins before hand if the students are der early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

last year there was about 5 of us in our exam hall for history and out teacher told us to try get some of the special topic down before the exam offically began.

we all started writing at 5 to and the examiner just handed out the paper and said she was starting the exam right now and stopping us 5 mins from the end time printed on the paper....bitch ;)

to the rule of the law it is cheating but i would still try get away with it again but if you are told to stop by the examiner put down your pen apologise and nothing will come of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Absolutely do it. Take any chance you get. Obviously if you are told to stop, dont keep writing but no examiner is going to stop you doing the rest of the exam :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

Only Human wrote:

This is a very good point (didn't see it earlier). Examiners are getting very bitchy in there subjects and are changing the set up of the papers to avoid people doing things like this. So they could well ask it in a different way. Then you are just left with a horrible feeling. As i said before i think i'll do it the way my teacher says...4th. I don't wanna be all in a frenzy before my hardest exam worrying if examiners are watching, it's a very desperate thing to do, exams are nerve-racking enough without wondering if you are going to be thrown out of an exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭The Failed God

Another un related question on cheating..If lets say I had exactly the same learned off A1 answer in english lets say a poet as my friend is this cheating..Lets presume its the same examiner and they notice it when correcting??WIll you be done for cheating or lose marks or what??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Another un related question on cheating..If lets say I had exactly the same learned off A1 answer in english lets say a poet as my friend is this cheating..Lets presume its the same examiner and they notice it when correcting??WIll you be done for cheating or lose marks or what??
    No, you can't be penalised for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

yes it is cheatint becuase people in the exam centre could be telling you stuff that you didn't know and then you have it wrote down, i did the lc last year and asked for clarification on this and was told it is cheating and that the punishment is the same as all other forms of cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

at the history seminar inTrinity some Institute woman recommended we start it if we can. we should be alowwed its ridicoulous we even have to write it out in the exam in the first place, should be able to hand it up before hand!

Advertisement