Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Anti- Fanboyism

Options
  • 03-06-2005 5:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

That sticky thread above is the most ridiculous thing ive seen for a while, gave me a good laugh it did.
    There is so much fear and such a quickness to name someone a fanboy on alot of gamer forums. People just seem go off on the first person to praise/critisise a console and praise another in the same post. In my experiance the most often example is someone slagging the Playstation and then praising Nintendo.
    Now it seems that there is a witch hunt in place for "fanboys" on this forum. Probably the stupidest thing Ive ever heard of, but anyway...
    Im seriously considering just boycotting this forum altogether now because of this witch hunt and tbh, it really sounds like a dumb a$$ solution to a problem that was never really there. If someone decides to be vocal about their love of one machine and critical of another then let it be. If though, they are stupid about it Im sure the readers and posters the witch hunt is there to protect will be mature enough to ignore the "fanboys" anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Did you really have to start a whole new thread for more of this crap?
    Fanboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

well done jazzy, you're not even here a year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

bazH wrote:

so i guess im not welcome then and my opinions arent as valid as ppl that have been here longer??
    well done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

not sure if this was posted else where but it seems to fit

20050205.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Jazzy wrote:
    If someone decides to be vocal about their love of one machine and critical of another then let it be.
    Oh FFS, did you read the thread? This is not being a fanboy. Go back and read it to see what a fanboy is.
    Jazzy wrote:
    Im seriously considering just boycotting this forum altogether now because of this witch hunt
    Bye bye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

tbh, jazzy i don't reckon there will be too many tears to see you leave.....i fully support your boycott

• Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

bazH wrote:

well done bazH, you're not even here 4 years

On a side note, hasn't it always been a case that people would be banned for over-the-top-ness? Is not the point to have a discussion sometimes to have arguments, and for people to be fanboys? Are people no longer allowed to support Nintendo for making great games? Support Microsoft because of their excellent OS's? and Support Sony for following through on all their promises?

I would put forward, that it could be better to have a discussion, rather than a one-day sticky thread that people have ALREADY trolled, and been locked, and that Fanboyism NOT be banned, but rather excessive "enthusiasm" for a particular console, or company be heavily moderated (possibly resulting in bannage)?

After all, we don't want to return to the dark days of a Shinji moderated forum ;)

fair enough, I dont post here too often and whatever, but i do read on peoples opinions and if I have a problem and ask I usually get nice help. But really the fact that there is a thread stating that any reports of fanboyism will result in a ban for the offender is kind of rediculous. Of course the new consoles are going to be under close scrutiny by the web community, taking a pre emptive strike against the fanboys that will crop up is just plain stupid. As I stated before, the people that are mature enough to just not bother with the fanboys wont care regardless. Its like handing out a punishment just for the sake of it. Are moderators just looking to punish people and flex thier muscles by making dumba$$ rules?? Fine fanboys arent popular and fanboy arguements can be amusing, but if you dont like it, ignore it! I asume the people that post here are actually mature enough and polite enough to ignore what they dont like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think this is being taken too far. I think the moderators will be able to tell if some one is being an obnoxious fanboy and when they are arguing for or against a console in an intelligent manner. And anyway the moderators have been quite lenient and don' texactly act like nazi's.

Just becuase someone is reported, doesn't mean they will be banned, and my comment on you only being here a year is in reference to the amount of the fanboyism that has happened previously.

Yes, back in the day of shinji's page long drivelfest

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Jazzy wrote:
    But really the fact that there is a thread stating that any reports of fanboyism will result in a ban for the offender is kind of rediculous.

Stop talking nonsense. Just because a post is reported does not mean any action will be taken.

Jazzy wrote:
    Of course the new consoles are going to be under close scrutiny by the web community, taking a pre emptive strike against the fanboys that will crop up is just plain stupid. As I stated before, the people that are mature enough to just not bother with the fanboys wont care regardless. Its like handing out a punishment just for the sake of it. Are moderators just looking to punish people and flex thier muscles by making dumba$$ rules?? Fine fanboys arent popular and fanboy arguements can be amusing, but if you dont like it, ignore it! I asume the people that post here are actually mature enough and polite enough to ignore what they dont like.

No matter how much some of them take the piss, most of the people who have been here for a while know that the rules work, ie not just ignoring people works!

koneko explains the new rule quite simply, maybe you've read it, but here it is again...
    koneko wrote:
    "I prefer the Nintendo Gamecube because of the type of games available on it. I like playing Metroid Prime, and Resident Evil 4, and I think it's an excellent piece of hardware"
    "I prefer the XBox, it offers a wide variety of games that cater to my every need. I like to play Halo, and then a sports game, and use the console for emulation aswell"
    = good

"I like the Playstation 2, it's made by Sony, they rule"
    "OMG loolol you don't know what you're talking about, Nintendo is way better. NINTENDO FOREVER! People that like Playstations aren't gamers"
    = bad

Subtle difference, I know.

…I'm sure Amp’s aim is to keep the discussion mature.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And any way EVERY1 NOS PS2 PWNS AND XBOX SUXORS!

Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

When the fanbois roll around, you will see why this rule is in place.
    It leads to pointless , meaningless arguements.
    A lot of you still don't even understand what a fanboy is though. This is not about not being allowed to discuss the differences of a console, it is about being an a$$hole about it.

It is for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Question. I know not everyone is a fanboy, only a small minority but what is it about consoles that some people feel that they have to take one side or another?

Example. I prefer burger king than mcdonalds simply because i think the food is nicer. However if McDonalds was next door to the office and not BK I'd have no problem going to Mc's rather than BK. When it comes to consoles however its different. You see they way some act towards lets say an xbox because they have a ps2 and they will only get a ps3 now and wont ever consider a 360.

Whats all this you have to take a side all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Using your example: Some people who have never been to Burger King will go religiously to MacD and NEVER go to BK, no matter how convienient. It is not only consoles where fanboys exist, it is most walks of life.

This rule will save a lot of annoyance, trust me. Just let it drop already,sheesh! (not aimed at iregk)
    ^That guy^ wrote:
    Whats all this you have to take a side all about?
    Exactly, it is about nothing, just being an ignorant moron, which is why people doing it will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Discussion over. If people want to preach their reasons for being fanboys do it Feedback.

Thread locked.

As a man of my word I have to follow my principals and therefore I will not be frequenting this board any longer. The reasons for this are due to that crime which is the "fanboy" rule. Im not a fanboy but I dont see why people would have to be banned for being one. Like before amp (the moderator) will probably lock this thread for discussing an issue that is already a dubious one (a hot potatoe if you will). So before he does I just want to say that since I started reading and discussing points and opinions with you people, the majority have been very helpful and insightful. I will miss reading Retr0gamers opinions as they were often the most interesting and co-herent. I havent been the most active poster but I often read the debates and issues here. Thanks for the help when needed and the insight into computer gaming in Ireland.

Jazzy

P.S. - I always thought a moderator was there to keep control and maintain forums, not to believe that they automatically know better then the people on the forums and make rules to that tune. If the moderator in question who made the rediculous fanboy rule is so confident, why not put the issue to a vote??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Bye then.

hahaha, what a tard, seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

To be fair i dont think he fully understands what amp was saying, unlike the rest of us.

Jazzy wrote:
    If the moderator in question who made the rediculous fanboy rule is so confident, why not put the issue to a vote??

I believe the answer would be something like ‘Boards.ie is not a democracy, it’s a benevolent dictatorship’.

I’m locking this, and then merging it with your other thread. There are rules here, this board is for talking about computer games, the feedback board is for talking about how the boards work.

If you come back please read the charter before posting again, thank you.

Also, as grimloch said I don't think you understand what amp is trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

(odd, I could swear I locked this thread before)

What monument said, if you wish to discuss this further then please start a thread on Feedback.

Bazh - watch it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement