Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom vs ComReg - in court re. number porting

Options
  • 03-06-2005 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Any news on the outcome of this? Is there an outcome? If so what was it? If not, when is it expected?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

While I have no answer to your question, it seems pretty sure that finally these thing will be sorted.
    NTL have announced their entering the market with VOIP, so that customers can dump their Eircom line.
    From the Independent today:
    CABLE TV company NTL Ireland is to re-enter the consumer voice telephony market later this year. It will offer a voice over broadband service and, as it already has an exchange, the new service will involve a nominal investment from NTL Ireland.

NTL Ireland currently provides a voice service to its corporate customers. Consumers will be able to use the new service without the need for an Eircom phone line.

The company offers broadband services on its cable network to customers in its franchise areas of Dublin, Waterford and Galway. Bundling together broadband and fixed line services would make sense for the company.

A similar announcement was made by Digiweb; there's a little article by Ailish O'Hara in yesterday's Indo:
    Broadband firm Digiweb to enter home voice market
    Friday June 3rd 2005

Broadband provider Digiweb will enter the home and residential voice market in the third quarter of this year.

The voice over broadband service will come without line rental charges while Digiweb customers will be able to call each other for free, the company said yesterday, adding that the service will also be based on link-ups with existing telecommunications companies that will provide back-end services, currently being tested.

Customers will be given either a standard telephone number or one of the newly available '076' numbers that provide for internet-based telephone services. The service will be offered on the next generation wireless network and will not be dependent on local loop unbundling.

"Our product is simple and straightforward, it is exactly the same as the home phone service that people use every day, [but] with[out] the cost of line rental and with simple and very cost-effective charges," said John Quinn, head of strategic development at Digiweb. The company's wireless broadband service currently costs €35 per month at entry level and, from Q3, will include the voice service.

It recently reached an agreement with its satellite provider Satlynx following a dispute between them that had left some customers without a broadband service.
    (correction in [] by me.)

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭8track

Thanks for reply. Unfortunately no NTL in Donegal - Digiweb say they're planning to start here, but not available yet. My best option seems to be Smart who are supposed to be ready in Letterkenny by the end of this month. However, I'd prefer to take my current number with me from Eircom.

Posted by eircomtribunal
    While I have no answer to your question, it seems pretty sure that finally these thing will be sorted.
    NTL have announced their entering the market with VOIP, so that customers can dump their Eircom line....
    A similar announcement was made by Digicom; there's a little article by Ailish O'Hara in yesterday's Indo:...

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Do you know if the ppl whom Eircom can't connect even if their exchange is broadband capable will be able to avail of the products offered by NTL and DigiWeb. My exchange(Blanchardstown) is broadband capable, however Eircom say due to my line they can't give me broadband. Moreover they said due to rules and regulations as laid down by Comreg they arent allowed to know why my line failed for broadband and consequently can't tell me what I would need to do to upgrade my line so it could carry broadband. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Do you know if the ppl whom Eircom can't connect even if their exchange is broadband capable will be able to avail of the products offered by NTL and DigiWeb. My exchange(Blanchardstown) is broadband capable, however Eircom say due to my line they can't give me broadband. Moreover they said due to rules and regulations as laid down by Comreg they arent allowed to know why my line failed for broadband and consequently can't tell me what I would need to do to upgrade my line so it could carry broadband. Go figure.

For NTL - they dont use eircom for anything so once you can get their Broadband service then "yes" - the Digiweb voice service will be on the next generation of wireless network so not reliant on eirocm either, so "yes" there also provided you can receive their wireless service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Has the interconnect rate (s) to and from 076 been 'struck' and finalised (as in not gone to the bleddy High Court )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Has the interconnect rate (s) to and from 076 been 'struck' and finalised (as in not gone to the bleddy High Court )
    Have a look here Bob

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=247369&highlight=voip

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Sponge Bob wrote:

Nope...all happy on Local rate...Comreg calling a meeting soon on codes of practice for VoIP operators, which is also good :)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

crawler wrote:
    Nope...all happy on Local rate...Comreg calling a meeting soon on codes of practice for VoIP operators, which is also good :)

Dude, if ComReg had any sense they'd leave the whole area of VoIP develop.

The best form of regulation is after all competition.

The '076-6' local rate is an issue linked to eircom seeking sub-local rates for '076-6' terminations based on their 1891 topology.

Some of our more vociferous, new and inexperienced market entrants made a complete balls of the potential returns available to industry and consumers by support eircom ........I ask you! ? ComReg were not sure and opted for local after a major cajoling from BT, MCI and ALTO.

Anyway, please don't post thing's which support any regulation on new and emerging technologies.

You might start to sound like Ronald Regan 'if it moves regulate it' .....

Regulatory Creep is a big problem, these guys want to keep themselves in jobs you know.

Young Tom.

8track wrote:
    Any news on the outcome of this? Is there an outcome? If so what was it? If not, when is it expected?

Word is that this may be settled out of court.

I love the way you know the exact details of the case. Number Porting?!

This is a judicial review process designed to review directions that may not be [in eircom's eye's] structured and proportionate. Lodging appeals to the ecap [electronic Communications Appeals Panel] might have been the way to go, but it seems that working out the processes between judicial review and the ecap has taken time. The minister probably should have conveened this already.

Meanwhile, we use dial-up. LLU - GNP [Number Porting] are two disparate processes of the regulatory bundle which are so far off the radar of both separate process working groups in industry we will be waiting a long while for this to sort its self out.

Ever heard of X-Inefficiency?

x-efficiency is the effectiveness with which a given set of inputs are used to produce outputs. If a firm is producing the maximum output it can given the resources it employs, such as men and machinery, and the best technology available, it is said to be x-efficient.

x-inefficiency occurs when x-efficiency is not achieved.

Tadda!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what are the 089 numbers for again ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Now don't go and ruin his little lecture like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭8track

Thanks for the information Tom Young, but no need to patronize ("...I love the way you know the exact details of the case. Number Porting?!..."). Is this forum the reserve of experts or 'x-efficients' only? My posting was at least partly because I don't know the exact details of the case. Wouldn't there be less need for forums such as this if everyone already knew the exact details of what interested them?

Tom Young wrote:
    Word is that this may be settled out of court.

This is a judicial review process designed to review directions that may not be [in eircom's eye's] structured and proportionate. Lodging appeals to the ecap [electronic Communications Appeals Panel] might have been the way to go, but it seems that working out the processes between judicial review and the ecap has taken time. The minister probably should have conveened this already.

Meanwhile, we use dial-up. LLU - GNP [Number Porting] are two disparate processes of the regulatory bundle which are so far off the radar of both separate process working groups in industry we will be waiting a long while for this to sort its self out.

Ever heard of X-Inefficiency?

x-efficiency is the effectiveness with which a given set of inputs are used to produce outputs. If a firm is producing the maximum output it can given the resources it employs, such as men and machinery, and the best technology available, it is said to be x-efficient.

x-inefficiency occurs when x-efficiency is not achieved.

Tadda!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Careful now boys. Play nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Tom Young wrote:

Unnecessary, unwarranted, and a repeat will earn a banning. Apart from that, thank you for your post :)

.cg

cgarvey wrote:
    Unnecessary, unwarranted, and a repeat will earn a banning. Apart from that, thank you for your post :)

.cg

I promise to be good in future. :confused:

Advertisement