Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Assurance/mortgage protection?? Quick!!!

Options
  • 03-06-2005 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Im being held up on my mortage with Life assurance.
    Its the biggest pain in the ass!!!
    Everything has to be done by post which takes ages.

Does anyone have any advice out there to get it quickly? Anywhere i can just walk in and get it sorted rather than wait for applications by post and so on etc...

If i had known it would take so long i would have sorted it out as soon as i applied for a mortgage rather than when i was approved.

Oh i have used One direct (using new ireland.. SLOW AS HELL!!!)
    Also primafinance
    and just now 123.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm not aware of any quick ways to sort out life assurance. It's really something that they should have pointed out to you when you applied. Although it is fairly standard to have an assurance policy to cover the mortgage.

Then again, I'm not an insurance/assurance expert so I might be totally wrong and there might be a way to sort it out quickly. I'm just not aware of one existing to be honest.

Maybe someone else can help? Or do you want me to move this to Economics? More people would see it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Sure if economics is a better place for this then go ahead. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Stay away from Irish Life ... I got Life Insurance through them for my mortgage [arranged by Ulster Bank] & they are riding me [KY Jelly not supplied :D]

Try Hibernian. I know a few people who are with them & they are well impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

LoneGunM@n wrote:
    Stay away from Irish Life ... I got Life Insurance through them for my mortgage [arranged by Ulster Bank] & they are riding me [KY Jelly not supplied :D]

Try Hibernian. I know a few people who are with them & they are well impressed.

Huh? What's better about Hibernian than IL? How are they riding you? To the OP, you should go to a broker to sort all this out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

To the OP, you should go to a broker to sort all this out for you.
    Today 10:39
    Give Liam Ferguson a ring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wicklow

What is actually delaying the issue of the life cover Saruman ?

Hibernian are by far the quickest because If you walk into a life insurance brokers office, they can input and issue a Hibernian policy in 15 minutes assuming the proposal form is "clean".

However as you have already applied to 123 who offer Hibernian, this will probably not work.

Caledonian, who generally will not deal direct, will be able to tell you that case is accepted or not in 10 minutes but wont be able to issue the policy in the brokers office.

Eagle Star & Irish Life will be back by afternoon with a decision if applied and input on system before 11am.

If there are medical issues and report is required from your GP, Eagle Star should be your choice as there is a dispute between insurance companies and doctors at the moment and Eagle Star broke ranks from other insurers and are paying extra so report can be obtained from GP's.

Why did you deal with 3 different brokers ? If not sorted, tell me your location or whereabouts and I will tell you who can sort it quickly.

Lonegunm@n - why do you think you are getting hosed ? Let me know your age next birthday, the death benefit and the term and i will tell you how much you should or could be paying !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Kernel wrote:
    Huh? What's better about Hibernian than IL? How are they riding you? To the OP, you should go to a broker to sort all this out for you.

What Kernel said - go met face to face with a real live broker, explain your predicament and circumstances, and let him come up with he fastest route to getting cover in place.

Check both the IBA, and the QFA register if you need a contact. There is also the LIA, but I can't find a list of members on their website.

You appear to be rushing this, so it would be no harm to take a quick look over the 5 or 6 pages on Life Assurance on the IFSRA website - contains some good pointers.

And as always, buyer beware - the difference between the cover/cost of one policy and another can vary enormously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wicklow

wicklow wrote:
    Lonegunm@n - why do you think you are getting hosed ? Let me know your age next birthday, the death benefit and the term and i will tell you how much you should or could be paying !

I will be 29, the benefit is €196,000.00 and the term is 36 years!!

Kernel wrote:

Hibernian are quoting cover [with better coverage] for me & my fiancee at a cheaper price than IL are charging me on my own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WICKL0W

Assuming you are a non smoker, a male 30 next birthday , €196,000 Mortgage Protection for a term of 36 years, Hibernian indeed are the cheapest - not all insurers will do 36 year term.

Irish Life : €16.51 pm
    Friends First: €16.97 pm
    Eagle Star: € 17.85 pm
    New Ireland: € 18.15 pm
    Hibernian: €15.86 pm

You mention your fiancee but never gave her details and if you do smoke premiums will increase.

Advertisement