Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Predictions...

Options
  • 03-06-2005 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Anyone here got any ideas on what might be coming up on the physics paper ths year?
    Anything at all is helpful to me at this stage to help ease my nerves.. :o

Oh Noooo!! Less Than A Week Left :p:o :eek: :eek: :(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Well, you have a bit more than a week until the physics. As far as I know, the calculating G with the SHM of a pendulum has a high chance of coming up. :)

It's crazy the way physics is such a broad course and difficult too, whereas economics is so short and sweet. They should really have a common difficulty standard for all subjects :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

e=mc^2 and/or photoelectric effect. Apparently it's 100 years since Einstein explained these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

For Section A they usually ask one electricity exp, one mechanics, and 2 from light/sound/heat. so far they have never asked g by pendulum, or Newtons second law (f proportional to a) exp's, so they seem likely to come up. in electricity resistance against temperature for metal/thermistor has never appeared so it might be worth a look, or they could just go for the old favourites of ohm/joule. as for the other light/sound/heat ones they are a little harder to predict. snells law maybe but it seems to easy. an actual SHC question has not come up yet but it probably wont since you get to choose your own method be it electric/mechanical so its difficult to set a fair question but you never know. i cant see the sonometer experimanet coming up since f against L was on a few years back, and more recently f against both T and L. Speed of sound in air maybe?

Section B is always varied. If ohm isnt on section A it will prob be Q 8. i would say know the theory and definitely know your maths for the circuits, they might throw in a rheostat thingy used as a potential divider. as someone said already photoelectric effect with einsteins equation looks good. option q doesnt change much. and finally if ohm isnt on either section A or q8 it will almost surely be a part of q12. they love it that much.

remember in the end predictions are often futile though (the ironing is delicious) ;) good luck all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hellsbells

ah its funny how much of that i dont understand! Im doin physics as Gaeilge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

exiztone wrote:
    It's crazy the way physics is such a broad course and difficult too, whereas economics is so short and sweet. They should really have a common difficulty standard for all subjects :)

It would be nigh impossible to set a common difficulty standard for all subjects, everyone has difficulties in different subjects, I am pretty good at physics and don't find it too bad but I'm terrible at languages :mad: , and I'm sure economics would actually kill me (tried it in 4th year).

• Advertisement

If you're stuck for time in physics the things to cover are:

- mandatory experiments
    - mechanics (always up)
    - option question

But I really think that most of the course has to be covered if you're going for a high grade, however you could still get a high grade if you cover a certain amount of topics really well. There is after all quite a lot of choice on the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

First of all, I don't advise relying on these posts for your leaving cert, and im not jus saying that to be a fart. Every year, they cover all the topics in some way. However, if you must, here are some areas that they havent asked much about yet:
    Section A
    -F=ma
    -Thermistor/resistor variation with temperature
    -Diode
    -Snell's law

Section B
    Derivations of acceleration
    Circular motion........dammit
    Geometrical optics
    electrical circuits
    electromagnetic induction
    Einstein(just cos its his 100th anniversary of relativity)
    Harmonics
    Good luck evryone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Joe_duffy

Kepler's third law t2 proportional to r3
    /the t2= 4(pie)2*r3/gm is comin up...what out for the photoelctric effect and circular motion too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 daxon

i hate circular motion. the F=ma is defo cuming up .an't been on the exam yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭stevoxbx

/the t2= 4(pie)2*r3/gm, what chapters that in the book?! I dont remember it :eek:

• Advertisement

stevoxbx wrote:
    /the t2= 4(pie)2*r3/gm, what chapters that in the book?! I dont remember it :eek:

It's part of circular motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 eoinmurphy

sephirosis wrote:
    remember in the end predictions are often futile though (the ironing is delicious) ;) good luck all

I never knew Ironing could be delicious,
    Irony on the other hand......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Learn all your formulae and q5 is three grades in the bag.
    Learn your formulae and mechanics and your two parts of four for q11 are pretty much sorted
    Learn whatever experiments haven't come up and breeze through the experiments that appeared in 2002

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

Anyone got any dead certs, or near enough to dead certs for the physics paper? need to pass it, hopefully a c, but thats pushing it

Johnerr wrote:
    Anyone got any dead certs, or near enough to dead certs for the physics paper? need to pass it, hopefully a c, but thats pushing it

Particle Physics

doing the applied electrictiy option

Johnerr wrote:
    doing the applied electrictiy option

I've done both but I'd do the particle physics because it's generally an easy topic, I hate drawing the motors/generators... in the applied elec.

Other than that if you concentrate on the experiments, mechanics and your option you're at least looking at a C.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

Particle Physics is real easy. I don't see why my Physics teacher thinks it's hard.

what chapters are the machanics chapters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

How do I pass the pass paper? What do I need to learn on sunday night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

If you want to just scrape a pass, just learn the experiments. That section is worth 30%, the questions are always the same (draw a graph, state two precautions etc.) and they also come up in different parts of the long questions, so combined with having picked up the odd bit of info over the years you'll easily get 10% in that section, added to your experiments giving you a pass of 40%.

Also, whenever asked for a precaution in the experiments, you can almost always say
    a) Use bigger values of water/voltage/distance, to reduce percentage error
    and
    b) Avoid error of parallax when reading measurement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

vote4pedro- sounds like somebody went to pat doyles class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 StevieK5000

Good theory but you cant get all 30% in exps by studying them for the first time the night before, it would be some massive fluke if you could!

vote4pedro- sounds like somebody went to pat doyles class!
    P. Diddy is the man !

Experiments are simple, very easy to score high marks in once you learn the procedure and what the graph should look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Certainly is! Hes a genius! Especialy his jokes!

Legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dross

ah, c'mon, he's a bit of cúnt. his formula goes: make a really really really obvious joke that you saw coming 20 minutes ago then when everyone stops laughing spew some physics. and his notes are bollocks. but he's alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

yes, how he condenses the entire course into a handful of notes is complete bollox.....
    I don't particularly like the notes, as the physics is boring, but as notes go, they are fairly good. Better than doing it by the 300pg+ book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

vote4pedro wrote:
    Also, whenever asked for a precaution in the experiments, you can almost always say
    a) Use bigger values of water/voltage/distance, to reduce percentage error
    and
    b) Avoid error of parallax when reading measurement.
    c) wear safety goggles

Always works in chemistry anyway!

I think I'm going to leave out Nuclear Physics and Magnetism, can't get my head around either. I reckon I'll be safe enough with knowing my experiments, Mechanics, Light, Sound, Heat, Particle Physics and having a general grasp of electricity, probably not enough to do a full long question on elec. though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

I didn't think his notes (p. doyle) were that great either, but his classes are excellent! I nearly cried when he made that analogy between the way the geiger-muller tube works and dance halls in the 50's :)

Advertisement