Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Predictions...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I dont remember that one, which one was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

During a class on radiation: How the negative electrons/ions staying at one side of the tube and the positive ions at the other is just like how adolescents were rooted to each side of a dance hall, until one of the positive ions comes across and grabs negative ion... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

ColHol wrote:
    c) wear safety goggles
    Always works in chemistry anyway!

not sure that's what they're looking for. It's more precautions as in precautions to reduce percnetage error i think...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

During a class on radiation: How the negative electrons/ions staying at one side of the tube and the positive ions at the other is just like how adolescents were rooted to each side of a dance hall, until one of the positive ions comes across and grabs negative ion... :p

lmao.

Late Night with Pat Doyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

I've never used wear safety googles as a chemistry precaution!, maybe as a final last restort when i've used all my other last resort precautions id slap it down. Very iffy just like the error or parallax one for physics. Last resort only. Think of all the good precautions 1st

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

sci0x wrote:
    Very iffy just like the error or parallax one for physics.
    I thought the parallax one was perfectly okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭stevoxbx

It is. Aslong as no paralax is necisery for the experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

ColHol wrote:
    c) wear safety goggles

Always works in chemistry anyway!

our teacher told us to NEVER say that...

Yeah I can't think of any physics experiments where you need to wear goggles, except perhaps the radiation demonstration experiments, and they're just silly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Experiments wise, in 2004:
    Freefall G
    Funda Freq of F with length
    Nichrome wire
    Wavelength of Monocromatic light
    2003:
    Boyles Law
    SLH of vaporisation of water
    Focal length of converging lens
    Joules Law
    2002: Law of Equilibrium
    SLH of Ice
    Funda Freq of F with tension
    variation of current I with Pot V.

Anyway. I say for this year learn the following:
    Ohms Law (variation of resistence of thermistor/Metal with temp) yes thats 2 different experiements very the same...easy enough.
    Calibration Curve of Thermometer using merc as standard
    SHC of water
    Sound speed in Air
    Length and period of Pendulum, find G.
    Measurement of Velocity and Acceleration
    Newtons Second law, A proportional to F
    Schnells Law
    Focal length of lens's.

thats about ten, i say that at least 3 of those will come up.. If not...i will eat my teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

Yeah I can't think of any physics experiments where you need to wear goggles, except perhaps the radiation demonstration experiments, and they're just silly anyway.

fundemental frequency of a stretched string with tension, incase wire snaps you need goggles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Africa wrote:
    SHC of water

I've never done that, don't you get a choice of SHC of a body or a liquid?

^^^ In the Folen's book it's just SHC of water.

But I guess according to this it's both:

MEASUREMENT OF THE SPECIFIC HEAT CAPACITY OF A METAL BY AN ELECTRICAL METHOD

Apparatus

Joulemeter, block of metal, heating coil to match, beaker, lagging, thermometer accurate to 0.1 °C, glycerol, electronic balance and a low voltage a.c. supply.

Procedure

1. Find the mass of the metal block m.
    2. Set up the apparatus as shown in the diagram.
    3. Record the initial temperature θ1 of the metal block.
    4. Plug in the joulemeter and switch it on.
    5. Zero the joulemeter and allow current to flow until there is a temperature rise of 10 °C.
    6. Switch off the power supply, allow time for the heat energy to spread throughout the metal block and record the highest temperature θ2.
    7. The rise in temperature Dq is therefore θ2 – θ1.
    8. Record the final joulemeter reading Q.

Results

Mass of metal block m =
    Initial temperature of the block θ1 =
    Final temperature of the block θ2 =
    Rise in temperature = θ2 – θ1 =
    Final joulemeter reading Q =

Calculations

The specific heat capacity of the metal c can be calculated from the following equation:

Energy supplied electrically = energy gained by the metal block

Q = mc .

MEASUREMENT OF SPECIFIC HEAT CAPACITY OF WATER BY AN ELECTRICAL METHOD

Apparatus

Joulemeter, calorimeter, heating coil, beaker, lagging, thermometer reading to 0.1 °C, electronic balance and a low voltage a.c. supply.

Procedure

1. Find the mass of the calorimeter mcal.
    2. Find the mass of the calorimeter plus the water m1. Hence the mass of the water mw is m1 – mcal.
    3. Set up the apparatus as shown. Record the initial temperature θ1.
    4. Plug in the joulemeter , switch it on and zero it.
    5. Switch on the power supply and allow current to flow until a temperature rise of 10 °C has been achieved.
    6. Switch off the power supply, stir the water well and record the highest temperature θ2. Hence the rise in temperature is θ2 – θ1.
    7. Record the final joulemeter reading Q.

Results

Mass of the calorimeter mcal =
    Mass of the calorimeter plus the water m1 =
    Mass of the water mw = m1 – mcal =
    Initial temperature of water θ1 =
    Final temperature θ2 =
    Rise in temperature Dq = θ2 – θ1 =
    Final joulemeter reading Q =

Calculations

Given that the specific heat capacity of the calorimeter ccal is known, the specific heat capacity of water cw can be calculated from the following equation:

Electrical energy supplied = energy gained by water + energy gained by calorimeter

Q = mwcw + mcalccal .

Notes

If a polystyrene container is used in place of the copper calorimeter, then the energy gained by the water is equal to the electrical energy supplied since the heat capacity of the container is negligible.

The energy equation now reads: Q = mwcw .
    If a joulemeter is unavailable, electrical energy can be supplied to the heating coil from a power supply unit connected in series to an ammeter and rheostat. A voltmeter must be placed in parallel with the heating coil to measure the potential difference and a stopwatch used to measure the time of current flow.
    Switch on the current and the stopwatch simultaneously. Adjust the rheostat to maintain a constant current. Allow the current to flow until a temperature rise of 10 °C has been achieved. Record the steady current I and voltage V readings. Switch off the current and the stopwatch simultaneously. Record the time t in seconds.

If a calorimeter is used the energy equation is: VIt = mwcw + mcalccal .

If a polystyrene container is used the energy equation is: VIt = mwcw .

MEASUREMENT OF THE SPECIFIC HEAT CAPACITY OF A METAL OR WATER BY A MECHANICAL METHOD

Apparatus

Copper calorimeter, copper rivets, beaker, boiling tube, lagging, thermometer accurate to 0.1 °C, heat source and electronic balance.

Procedure

1. Place some copper rivets in a boiling tube. Fill a beaker with water and place the boiling tube in it.
    2. Heat the beaker until the water boils. Allow boiling for a further five minutes to ensure that the copper pieces are 100° C.
    3. Find the mass of the copper calorimeter mcal.
    4. Fill the calorimeter, one quarter full with cold water. Find the combined mass of the calorimeter and water m1. Hence the mass of the water mw is m1 – mcal.
    5. Record the initial temperature of the calorimeter plus water θ1.
    6. Quickly add the hot copper rivets to the calorimeter, without splashing.
    7. Stir the water and record the highest temperature θ2. The fall in temperature of the copper rivets is 100 °C – θ2. The rise in temperature of the calorimeter plus water is θ2 – θ1.
    8. Find the mass of the calorimeter plus water plus copper rivets m2 and hence find the mass of the rivets mco.
    Results

Mass of the calorimeter mcal =
    Mass of the calorimeter plus the water m1 =
    Mass of the water mw = m1 – mcal =
    Initial temperature of water θ1 =
    Initial temperature of rivets 100° C
    Initial temperature of calorimeter θ1 =
    Final temperature of water θ2 =
    Final temperature of rivets θ2 =
    Rise in temperature of water = θ2 – θ1 =
    Rise in temperature of calorimeter = θ2 – θ1 =
    Fall in temperature of rivets = 100° C - θ2
    Mass of calorimeter plus water plus rivets m2 =
    Mass of rivets mco = m2 – m1

Calculations

Assume that heat losses to the surroundings or heat gains from the surroundings are negligible.
    Given that either the specific heat capacity of water cw or the specific heat capacity of copper cc is known, the other specific heat capacity can be calculated from the following equation:

Energy lost by copper rivets = energy gained by copper calorimeter + the energy gained by the water

mcocc = mcalcc + mwcw .

If cw is known, then cc can be calculated or alternatively if cc is known, cw can be found.

Notes

If a polystyrene container is used in place of the copper calorimeter, then the energy gained by the water is equal to the energy lost by the copper rivets. The energy equation now reads:
    mcocc = mwcw .

It's ok, I just checked the syllabus and it says water or a metal.

There's a pretty comprehensive list of all of the experiments Here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭stevoxbx

That would have been so helpful 2days ago! :eek:

^ very true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Africa wrote:
    thats about ten, i say that at least 3 of those will come up.. If not...i will eat my teacher.
    Im sure he/she'd look forward to that... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

ColHol wrote:
    Im sure he/she'd look forward to that... :p
    hehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Lol left myself open for that one there i guess...

Anyway good luck all. I going to do some last minute cramming.

Advertisement