Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Leinster Rifle Pistol Club

Options
  • 03-06-2005 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hey guys , I just got an Invite to join , The Leinster Rifle and Pistol Club site on MSN Groups , Has anyone been on the site , is it any good , it looks interesting from the front page . :cool: :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I post on it every so often. It's not really aimed at my kind of shooting, but there are interesting bits in there (from my perspective).
    I prefer a more open forum though, which is why I'm still working away here :D
    (Open as in you don't have to be a member to see what's happening - not suggesting there's anything underhanded going on there, in fact it's a good idea for clubs to have their own discussion forums to discuss stuff that's only of interest to club members - Comber and DURC have their own forums for that sort of thing, for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

I got in touch with the guy that sent the invite , he says that they cater for all kinds of shooting , that If you ask them to put up a page for your particular type of shooting that they will , have you asked ? he says that they are only a new club , have you seen their range , is it approved ?

Haven't asked for a page ammo, 'cos I can't speak for the NTSA, only about it; and with DURC and WTSC, I put their stuff up here or on the DURC website. Haven't seen their range yet either, I shoot mostly in WTSC at the moment, and hopefully in RRPC when their new range opens, and occasionally in DURC (used to shoot mostly in DURC when I was a postgrad in TCD, but now it's too akward to get to the college :( ).

hey guys , i just joined the Leinster rifle & Pistol club web site, There is a lot of info there , its a cool site , lots of photos , they seem to cater for all types of shooting , there are also some great links to other sites , including Boards .ie

The Web address for their site is http://groups.msn.com/TheLeinsterRiflePistolClub

Just click on the link and have a look for yourself ! :D:D:D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Ammoman wrote:
    hey guys , i just joined the Leinster rifle & Pistol club web site, There is a lot of info there , its a cool site , lots of photos , they seem to cater for all types of shooting , there are also some great links to other sites , including Boards .ie

The Web address for their site is http://groups.msn.com/TheLeinsterRiflePistolClub

Just click on the link and have a look for yourself ! :D:D:D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Great News ,

I got an E Mail from the leinster rifle & Pistol Club , they have got a piece of land for their range , in Dublin , and they are now open for memberships .
    Their Web address is http://groups.msn.com/TheLeinsterRiflePistolClub , there is a link in the previous message .

happy days , no more driving 95 miles down and 95 back for me... :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Looks good, anyword on what the membership fee is?

Rew wrote:
    Looks good, anyword on what the membership fee is?

No you have to contact the Chairman , Rod Wilson, he gives the E mail address on the site , and he will give you the details , I havent contacted him yet... :cool:

Ammoman wrote:
    No you have to contact the Chairman , Rod Wilson, he gives the E mail address on the site , and he will give you the details , I havent contacted him yet... :cool:

Spotted that all right. Sounds like its going to be busy, id say there are plenty of shooters around Dublin.

True, but they'll have some competition from East Coast shooting and from the Rathdrum club, though more for the smallbore and air rifle&pistol stuff for the latter.

Which, to be honest, is an absolutely excellent state of affairs - the more ranges, the better!

Sparks has contacted the Leinster Rifle & pistol club about the fees etc , and they have put up a reply on their site , have a look , I am going to get into the first 50.... :D:D:D :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Advertisement

Ammoman wrote:
    Sparks has contacted the Leinster Rifle & pistol club about the fees etc , and they have put up a reply on their site , have a look , I am going to get into the first 50.... :D:D:D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Hmm good offer all right :)

I hate MSN groups, they have a really odd interface and I dont want a bloody passport account! If I do join I think id be offering to redo that site.

Have to see how my move back to Dub is panning out before biting the bullet, so to speak.

Yup, sorry for not posting the info earlier, got tangled up in some other stuff. Here's the reply:
    We will be shooting 100 200 300 yd fullbore rifle , .22 Sils , smallbore and Fullbore Pistol , 50 and 100 m smallbore rifle and what ever else we can fit in
    I know that you shoot Air rifle , can that be shot outdoors ? If yes , we will try to acomodate that also .
    The membership fees for the first 50 members will be €200 plus insurance , which will be through NARGC approx €60 , after that the fee will be €300 for the first year and €200 per year after that . We will have to invest a lot of time and money to get the range up to full spec and make it safe , hence the extra €100 joining fee , the initial 50 members get a special offer as we need working capital to get things rolling .
    So hurry up and get the bargain price . The application form is on the site in the documents folder , you can download it and I will give an address for it to be sent to when I get EMails from the members .

It's pretty much the going rate for membership in an outdoor range these days.

I know that you shoot Air rifle , can that be shot outdoors ? If yes , we will try to acomodate that also .

Thats a good question , can Air rifle competitions be shot outdoors ?

Not the ISSF ones Ammoman, though there is Field Air Rifle, it's shot a bit up north. Different rifles though, and different ranges - out to 50m, if I remember right, shooting at metal targets. To be honest, until I can afford to get into fullbore shooting, I'm more likely to remain in DURC and Wilkinstown (and hopefully Rathdrum in a little while). However, the more ranges out there the better, and it seems like the people running this are intent on putting together as good a range as is possible, which is the mindset we see in the best ranges in this country today, and is perhaps the determining factor in what clubs become great and what clubs just remain avenues for plinking without ever becoming competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Sparks wrote:
    Not the ISSF ones Ammoman, though there is Field Air Rifle, it's shot a bit up north. Different rifles though, and different ranges - out to 50m, if I remember right, shooting at metal targets.

That sounds interesting, is this shot with bog standard air rifles? If so it would be a good sport to have at least as an introductory as second hand air rifles are relativly cheap as is the ammo. No offence to you sparks but ISSF is not to everyones taste and at present is there any air rifle alternative? :confused:

It's not shot with ISSF air rifles, no sidney. Though there are some ISSF air rifles (the Steyr LG100 for example) that have field air rifle versions. Thing is, because it's out to 50m outdoors, the rifles need a bit more oomph behind them, so you're looking at higher air pressures, and the stock sees some adjustments as well because the position's quite different to even the ISSF kneeling position (note the support pad for the forward knee and the support plate coming from the buttplate to the inside of the trigger hand's arm).

lg100zft1.jpg

lg100zft4.jpg

lg100zft3.jpg

Anschutz do one as well, the 2025, it's a variant of their 2002CA ISSF air rifle:

2025-big.jpg

Apart from ISSF 10m, ISSF Running Target, and the Field Air Rifle stuff though sidney, I don't know of any other competitive discipline with air rifles. I know we've got some reactive targets and the like that we use for training (based on the targets used in the ISSF 10m 5-shot air pistol event), but I've not seen any real discipline developed with them.

normal_Targets.jpgnormal_UCDRC_3.jpg

The US have got a "sporter" and a "precision" class of three-position air rifle shooting that the NTSA was looking at introducing over here, the precision class uses standard ISSF 10m stuff, but the sporter class uses more basic air rifles that normally just get used for informal plinking, and there's no shooting jackets or trousers or any of the other ISSF gear used either. We still haven't seen it over here though, DURC was looking at it a year or three ago but we didn't have the resources to rework the firing points to allow for it.

Firing%20line05_b.gif

The problem with trying to introduce new disciplines like this is that you need people outside the governing body who are interested enough to actually shoot it - a governing body, after all, can only guide, it has a terrible time trying to actually push a discipline on people. It's the wrong way to try to do it, for a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Thanks Sparks, is there no competitive disipline that uses standard hunting type air rifles similar to silhouette with .22 rimfires? Just does not seem a lot of use for such a firearm, am I right in thinking that we are not permited to hunt anything (vermin or otherwise) with air guns? Also were a club such as Leinster to set up an outdoor range would it not be an easier (cost effective)task then say a rimfire range because of the relativly short range of .177/.22/.25 air rifles?

It's a bit outside the area I'd know most about sidney, but I'm relatively sure that the majority of the rifles used for field air rifle are the hunting type. And while I know that you can't hunt with a "normal" airgun in the UK (you need a different kind of licence for the >12ftlb rifles over there, I think it's a section 5?), I don't think there's any such restriction here. Better to ask one of the hunters on that one though, I've never shot anything with a central nervous system, with the exception of the odd bluebottle that landed on my card at fifty metres with the smallbore - and those were generally accidental hits, where the poor sod had wandered over the nine ring :D

As to the cost-effectiveness, well, you'd think so but I don't know how much of a difference it'd make in practise. You'd still need a range that went out to 50m, and while we wouldn't think you'd need much of a backstop, it's not us that goes out to give the (admittedly informal and wavy-handy) okay to use it as a range, it's the gardai. NIFTA might be the ones to ask about this.

Sparks wrote:
    Not the ISSF ones Ammoman, though there is Field Air Rifle, it's shot a bit up north. Different rifles though, and different ranges - out to 50m, if I remember right, shooting at metal targets. To be honest, until I can afford to get into fullbore shooting, I'm more likely to remain in DURC and Wilkinstown (and hopefully Rathdrum in a little while). However, the more ranges out there the better, and it seems like the people running this are intent on putting together as good a range as is possible, which is the mindset we see in the best ranges in this country today, and is perhaps the determining factor in what clubs become great and what clubs just remain avenues for plinking without ever becoming competitive.

If anyone is looking for application forms to join , Outdoor hobby have some or if you go on the Leinster rifle club website , you can download it . there are some photos on their site of the new range , it looks big .

If you e mail leinsterrifleclub@hotmail.com they will send you back a form.

Sparks wrote:
    It's pretty much the going rate for membership in an outdoor range these days.

sparks , you should go and look at what some of the other clubs are charging , I think that they are going to play golf in the ranges , or at least thats what the fees suggest. have a look at BRC and the Eagles , off the wall money.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No, compared to MRC or RRPC or Comber or DRC or any range with outdoor shooting facilities, it seems about average. BRC and Eagles I don't know much about though, I've only ever shot at BRC a few times. Though they've put in a bricks-and-mortar clubhouse/firing point on the range only a few years ago, so I'd have expected a bit of a hike in dues to pay for that. Indoor ranges like WTSC charge less, but then all you need for 10m airgun shooting is a room that's about 12m or so long and a few metres wide.

Sparks wrote:
    No, compared to MRC or RRPC or Comber or DRC or any range with outdoor shooting facilities, it seems about average. BRC and Eagles I don't know much about though, I've only ever shot at BRC a few times. Though they've put in a bricks-and-mortar clubhouse/firing point on the range only a few years ago, so I'd have expected a bit of a hike in dues to pay for that. Indoor ranges like WTSC charge less, but then all you need for 10m airgun shooting is a room that's about 12m or so long and a few metres wide.

I was told that both BRC and the Eagles were looking for in excess of €600 for membership , I think that this is excessive , shooters are being ripped off with ammo prices and other costs too much in this country , thats why the offer of a membership for €200 , I think is excellent value .

A message put up on . the Leinster rifle club website

From: MSN NicknameFlyingAlexf68 (Original Message) Sent: 7/7/2005 1:03 PM
    Hello everyone. Just a quick message to let you know that you can pay for membership of the new range at Outdoor Hobby. Just bring payment and a passport photo. There is still a discount of €100 for the first 50 so don't delay.

Ammoman wrote:
    A message put up on . the Leinster rifle club website

From: MSN NicknameFlyingAlexf68 (Original Message) Sent: 7/7/2005 1:03 PM
    Hello everyone. Just a quick message to let you know that you can pay for membership of the new range at Outdoor Hobby. Just bring payment and a passport photo. There is still a discount of €100 for the first 50 so don't delay.

Another message from their site , of interest to Pistol shooters

From: MSN NicknameFlyingAlexf68 (Original Message) Sent: 7/8/2005 2:27 PM
    Outdoor Hobby Ltd.

I am looking for copies of Pistol Licences, in all calibres, signed by your Garda Super Intendant in order to bring in pistol ammo for sale. You can fax a copy to me at 01 6104328 or drop it into the shop.

We are also now bringing in pistols direct from Europe both new and second hand. If you or anybody you know want to buy one just give me a call.

Thanks,
    Alex Fawcett.

this message has just been put up on the leinster rifle pistol club website , will be of interest to pistol shooters , maybe !

FAO: Precision Practical Competition Shooters affiliated to the SSAI and its Associations.

Two of the premier PPC1500 events are scheduled for October of this year. The Tirol Open in Hofpgarten, Austria and the World Indoor Championships in Sembach, Germany.
    Shooters that are interested in travelling to and competing in these PPC events are requested to advise the SSAI Secretary of there intention to travel so that a team selection event can be organised from which a Team/Individuals will be chosen to represent the NASRC.
    Those that are interested in participating in these events under the Banner of the SSAI/NASRC need to inform the SSAI Secretary on or before Friday 22nd July 2005.

A projected cost estimate for each Shooter, of the projected expenses for one trip are likely to be in the following ballpark, each shooter.

1. Plane fare. €180.00
    2. Accommodation (B&B) for 4 (4 x €80.00) nights. €320.00
    3. Car rental, petrol & insurance €300.00 / 4. €075.00
    4. Lunch & dinner x 4 at €50.00. €200.00
    5. Appropriate Polo shirt x 2 and cap. €075.00
    6. Competition entry fees, (8 x €30.00). €240.00
    7. Ammunition - €120.00. €120.00
    8. Sundries and incidentals €150.00 €150.00
    Estimated Total: €1,360.00
    Interested PPC shooters contact the SSAI Secretary on or before Friday 22nd July 2005. e-mailSSAI@EIRCOM.NET SSAI phone is 087.9007501.

Excellent - an NGB organising a selection event for an international match. Now that's how it's meant to be done.

Has MSN groups gone down , I was trying to log in last night and again this AM but keep getting a message that it cant be found .

anyone else having this problem ? :confused:

Yup. Wasn't this morning, oddly enough, but getting that error message now allright.

MSN groups are up and running again , dont know why they were closed down for today ,

• Advertisement

this is another message put up on the Leinster Rifle & Pistol club site , hopefully this one wont be deleted by the moderators , like my last post was .

We are going to start the work of clearing the gorse on the range on Wednesday evening @ approx 6:30 to 7:00 pm , all help is welcome , bring any tools that you have , slash hooks , saws , spades , Yard brushes and anything else that you think might be useful. The more help that we get the quicker the range will be ready . I will post a map for directions later today or tomorrow , but if you want to contact me , send me an e mail and Ill tell you how to get there...

See you on the range

Rod Wilson

and here is the message roughly from this morning

Hi All ,

Just a short note to let you know that we put a team into the competition in fermoy yesterday , The competition and in general the way that the day / weekend was organised ,was and is a credit to the committee of Fermoy rifle Club . There were a number of diciplines shot yesterday , including .22 Benchrest 50m , .22 Gallery rifle , .22 Sils and .22 Multi Target Pistol competitions . The whole thing ran very smoothly and Safely , and there were teams from , city of Dublin Pistol Club , the Eagles Rifle Club , Kerry rifle Team , The Mill rifle Club , the British Gallery Rifle Team , The Isle Of Man club , and a number of other clubs from around the country . There was a bar b que at lunch time which went down a treat with everyone and even the neighbours were invited in . This will take a lot to beat , it was certainly one of the best organised competitions that I have attented , and I hope that we will hold a similar type of competition in the near future as soon as the range is ready . The team that entered the competition and The Leinster Rifle & Pistol Club would like to express our thanks to the Fermoy Rifle Club for giving us an excellent day and to the City of Dublin team for letting us use their pistols to compete , and the Eagles gun club team for lending us the .22 magazines for the gallery rifle Comp. If only this sort of co operation could exist among all the clubs , our sport would be all the more enjoyable

Thanks for the excellent days shooting .

Rod Wilson .

I know that this was also posted in the Fermoy thread , but that is because they might not read it in this one . and before you say it it is on topic in both threads. :D

Advertisement