Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Leinster Rifle Pistol Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ammoman, your post is still up in the Fermoy thread here. It was just more apropos to that thread. There's nothing sinister going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

As Sparks has said, the message that was deleted was an exact replica of another posted in this section. there is no need to go clogging the board up with duplicate messages. If you're really that keen that people, see it, link to it from other threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

Photos of the fermoy shoot were posted on the LRPC site last night , looks good.

heres a link to their site again .

leinsterrifleclub@hotmail.com

:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

this was just posted on the Leinster rifle club site ..... I know that it doesnt have anything to do with shooting , but your computer is also important...

VERY IMPORTANT

From: MSN Nickname1mileman1 (Original Message) Sent: 7/22/2005 5:16 PM
    Please Be Extremely Careful especially if using internet mail
    such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on. This information arrived this morning from Microsoft and Norton. Please send it to everybody you know who accesses the Internet.

You may receive an apparently harmless email with a Power Point
    presentation "Life is beautiful."

If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, and delete it immediately. If you open this file, a message will appear on your screen saying: "It is too late
    now, your life is no longer beautiful." Subsequently you will
    LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the person who sent it to you will gain access to your name, e-mail and password.

This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday
    afternoon. AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the antivirus software's are not capable of destroying it. The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself "life owner."

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS and PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY

• Advertisement

Another very interesting post on the Leinster club from the same guy , Deer stalkers take note !

From: MSN Nickname1mileman1 (Original Message) Sent: 7/22/2005 8:05 PM
    The principle that some recreational deer stalkers can legally use a pistol for the humane despatch of injured deer or wounded animals has been underlined by a second court ruling, The Basc (uk) funded a legal appeal on behalf of a member after the Northumbria police forcerefused to grant him a licence to acquire a .38 pistol for that purpose.
    It follows a high court ruling last year when the BASC successfully argued against the Humberside police that it is possible for deer stalkers to satisfy legal requirements and show good reason to own a pistol in the uk.
    Bill Harriman Basc director of firearmssaid that Northunbria police demonstated intransigence, unreasoned opposition and an alarming degree of irnorance in this matter. There was a clear case for the use of a pistol to humanely despatch deer over ground where a rifle would not be safe or suitable.Incredible Northumbria police introduced a statement by a police constable who suggested deer should be despatched by cutting there throat or using a .410 shotgun or a ball peen hammer( my point who carriers on of these???get real)These suggestion where not only wrong they are inhumane and repugent.
    It appears the police made serious errors. The police under cross examination in court conceded and that they had no epertise in this area and so threw in the towel.
    It had shown that deer stalkers can satify all legal requirments for owning and using a pitol for despatch of deer.
    The sooner this is accepted by police firearm licencing departments the better. The attitude that these two police forces have decided not to issue licence and leave it to the courts to resolve the matter. in both case's they lost, reputations and cost to the tax payer.
    End result licenced issued.
    Case closed.

Can we Ireland hunters, shooters marksmen/woman learn from this.
    Will the Garda heed or take note of this??

Replies please.
    Mel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

Can we learn from it?YES
    That what has been standard operating procedure on the Continent for humane dispatch of big game,should be a standard option over here as well.Frankly I cant see why we never argued this point about insufficent strength deer calibres back in the bad old days.
    Will the Gardai/Govt take heed of it?
    Proably not ,as they be da law and they know better than us sheep...er citizens about firearms and how to dispatch wounded /injured animals etc.

Right, this business of copying everything posted on other boards here has to stop. fair enough if it's relevant or useful, but I draw the line at spam. MSN groups are well known for it, it's bad enough that it wastes bandwith there, but no need at all for it to be here as well.

These are separate boards, not mirrors of each other.

(This applies to the "virus warning" post - the stakling one is on topic - fair enough.)

civdef wrote:
    Right, this business of copying everything posted on other boards here has to stop. fair enough if it's relevant or useful, but I draw the line at spam. MSN groups are well known for it, it's bad enough that it wastes bandwith there, but no need at all for it to be here as well.

These are separate boards, not mirrors of each other.

(This applies to the "virus warning" post - the stakling one is on topic - fair enough.)

OK point taken . but did you know about this virus ? If not you probobly would have opened the mail and lost everything on your PC . I for one and i'm sure others on this site appreciate the warning . I thought that this was an open forum , where people could pass on information and express their opinions , but it seems that if you dont like it or it doesnt suit your adgenda , you close the thread or delete the message . if you dont want people to post on the site just say so. The message takes up a minimum of space and potentially has saved every PC using this site , If i thought it was spam , I wouldnt have posted it . So much for free speech and Open forums .

Hail CIVDEV :mad: :mad: :mad:

Right so, since you decided to make a big issue of it:

The message you posted was a hoax. http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/life.is.beautiful.hoax.html

If you had taken half a minute to check this out you could have found this out. Instead you decided to post it here, as you have been doing (sometimes in duplicate) with damn near everything posted on that other forum. The message didn't save anyone's PC, never mind "every PC using this site " as you seem to think. It just wasted people's time.

Recognising that you probably posted it in good faith, I decided to respond to your initial post by explaining the problem instead of just deleting it as I probably should have. In response you come back with this persecution complex about free speech etc etc. Incidentally, I'd be fascinated to learn what you think my "adgenda" here is.

This sort of carry on would earn a ban on most other fora, but this section has got along fine for nearly a year now without bans (except for the couple of loonies who decided the shooting forum needed to be diruped because it was evil).

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to stop people posting on this site, but it would be nice if posts could be On Topic.There's plenty of other places to post virus warnings if you so desire.

Any chance we can just move on from this nonsense and get back to civilised discussion of shooting and related stuff?

• Advertisement

civdef wrote:
    Right so, since you decided to make a big issue of it:

The message you posted was a hoax. http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/life.is.beautiful.hoax.html

If you had taken half a minute to check this out you could have found this out. Instead you decided to post it here, as you have been doing (sometimes in duplicate) with damn near everything posted on that other forum. The message didn't save anyone's PC, never mind "every PC using this site " as you seem to think. It just wasted people's time.

Recognising that you probably posted it in good faith, I decided to respond to your initial post by explaining the problem instead of just deleting it as I probably should have. In response you come back with this persecution complex about free speech etc etc. Incidentally, I'd be fascinated to learn what you think my "adgenda" here is.

This sort of carry on would earn a ban on most other fora, but this section has got along fine for nearly a year now without bans (except for the couple of loonies who decided the shooting forum needed to be diruped because it was evil).

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to stop people posting on this site, but it would be nice if posts could be On Topic.There's plenty of other places to post virus warnings if you so desire.

Any chance we can just move on from this nonsense and get back to civilised discussion of shooting and related stuff?

Yes we can move on , No i dont have a persecution complex , you didnt explain that the message was a hoax , if i knew I wouldnt have put it up , with regard to the other forum , it too is a shooting forum and the posts are on topic , you may or may not be a member of the other forum , I am but others on this site are not , I'm just spreading the word from both forums where i think it is useful , if thats a problem for you or the organisers of this site Ill stop.
    An Easy way to find out is to ask the users of this site , obviously by the number of hits that this thread has had , it is popular, so if people think that I or anyone else should not post anything from other sites on Boards , please let us know here in a reply to this message .

OK so no objections yet , here is a post on the Leinster site for a competition in August.

The NASRC will hold their next National Competition at Hilltop Quad Sporting Club, Newtownmountkennedy on Sunday 14th August.

Disciplines are

National 100 Yard Bench Rest 50 Shot - ‚¬12.00
    National Pistol - Format is to be agreed but is likely to be similar to that run in Fermoy in July. ¬12.00

Will confirm format later.

Please circulate to your members.

NB: Results of Fermoy/NASRC International will be posted during the week on fermoyrifleclub.com website. Apologies for delay but I am waiting on clarification on some points from contestants.

Kieran

BCC; NASRC Clubs.

its on topic as well !

On topic, but wrong thread Ammoman. When the offical announcement comes out on the fermoyrifleclub.com website, would you stick it into the "Upcoming Events" sticky thread please?
    Thanks...

I see that there is an article on the Leinster rifle & pistol club in the Digest this month with a couple of photos , looks good also some details of some of the firearms amendments , looking good for reloading.... :D

this was posted on the LRPC site tonight

The team that entered the competition in fermoy were very successful , and won both of the competitions that they entered , the .22 gallery rifle , and the .22 benchrest 50m , we also got two individual placings in the overall score on the .22 benchrest with Derek and Gary Talbot taking 2nd and 3rd overall scores . Given that this was the first event that was entered by The Leinster Rifle & Pistol Club I think that we have done very well and hope that future teams and individuals will also have similar success in future events .

here is a question that has been asked in the Leinster rifle & Pistol club site , but so far no one has answered, if you reply to it here i will post it on their site
    thanks

Hi All,
    I love this question because it never gets the same answer twice!
    Well, how many are we allowed to have when we have all the Garda required security: safes, secure home, monitored alarm etc?
    I had five firearms and had to trade one in to get another even though I clearly stated the purpose of each one and had a very good reason for having each of them.
    Each one was a competition gun tailored for a specific discipline in which I shoot competitively. I have spoken to people who have 6 & 7 firearms!
    It makes me mad as hell that the supers just decide something and their isn't any harmony between one station to the next.
    Pistols are a classic example of this with one station super requiring Fort Knox and next only requireing a safe.
    Just out of curiosity any of you people got more than 5?
    Is there any leave to appeal a decision in writing to a super?
    Whats your beef on the situation?

There are a couple of new photos put up on the Leinster Site , there is also a photo from behind the 300 yd firing point , looking DOWN onto the backstop

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭benhurt1

Ammoman wrote:
    There are a couple of new photos put up on the Leinster Site , there is also a photo from behind the 300 yd firing point , looking DOWN onto the backstop

Yes, I was discussing that issue with a mate...and we realised that if you take the 300 firing point and the track beyond the butts the track is actually higher than the FP with the backstop in the valley between/below!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Hey guys and girls,
    Tune in to newstalk 106fm now!! they're about to start discussing the range... get prepared for publicity ??? Good or bad....wait and see.

( will we hear the usual +Bad terminology "shooting guns" ....
    "private, in the Irish army we shoot targets!!")

http://www.newstalk106.ie/
    Live net broadcast available...

• Advertisement

Just missed it i think, what happend?

EDIT: On now....

Hmmmm, she did her homework my arse. Plenty of military ranges are just as close to the public...

Wow. Well, that was uniformly awful.
    For those not listening, Fine Gael TD Olivia Mitchell appeared with no counter-interviewee and thrashed the entire idea. She's "aghast" that a range would be built on private land and thinks that it's "incompatible" with the hillwalkers and mountain bikers and riders and so on in the area (though the interviewer did point out that since that's all Coillte land, legally they can't use the land for those purposes anyway). She thinks planning permission is needed and that no refurbishment should take place on the land till it's granted, and she intends to oppose permission being granted and she says coillte will as well.

Gah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Fe€k!!!
    Just managed to get my stoopid software to connect, in time for the Midday news. :(
    How did it go, and did anyone record it???

The LR&PC need to get out there and reply to this stuff. Get the info on existing ranges and reply to all this.

We're still well in silly season folks, this is a god given opportunity for said TD to get herself in the press. She's clearly calculated that she'll get more votes out of mountain bikers than shooters.

If people took the time to contact their local FG TD over this (any constituency) over this, that attitude might change.

Rew wrote:
    The LR&PC need to get out there and reply to this stuff. Get the info on existing ranges and reply to all this.
    Agreed. I've already posted one thread with their club board about the boards.ie threads and I've posted another one now about this bit. But it's not just the LR&PC that ought to have a dedicated PRO for this sort of stuff - every club and association needs one. You can't be in a sport with a public image problem like ours has and not worry about this kind of thing, it's a major concern!

I noticed your first thread and was disapointed that they didn't respond. I'd like to join but not untill they put this issue to rest. :(

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote:
    Agreed. I've already posted one thread with their club board about the boards.ie threads and I've posted another one now about this bit. But it's not just the LR&PC that ought to have a dedicated PRO for this sort of stuff - every club and association needs one. You can't be in a sport with a public image problem like ours has and not worry about this kind of thing, it's a major concern!

Sparks , i was on their site and there is a message put up , they did respond to the radio today , have a look.

Advertisement