Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Leinster Rifle Pistol Club

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

Ammoman wrote:
    Sparks , i was on their site and there is a message put up , they did respond to the radio today , have a look.

Here it is ,

Mark ,

I think that people think that we didnt respond to this TD's remarks , in fact we did , I was contacted by 106FM this AM and passed on a statement to them which I might add answered all of the TD's questions and then some , why do you think she had so many pauses in her replies , and how do you think that the station had the answers to her questions. Quite obviously and unfortunately , she did not contact us before the program to discuss her fears or to ask about what safety measures are going to be in place . I did not go on the radio because I dont want to get into a mud slinging contest and I refuse to discuss club business in the open , I will however discuss it in person if people wish to contact me . Beleive me , I am aware of the antis out there and am prepared to stand the ground not only for the Club but for shooting sports in general .

Thanks

Rod Wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Thanks Ammoman, saw that and replied to it. I'm not in favour of the idea of keeping stuff "out of the open" (shock! surprise!), so I don't really agree with the idea of letting Mitchell go off and try to rustle up more votes at the sport's (and the LR&PC's) expense.

I was up at the range yesterday and took some photos of the coillte signs , it is very clear that Mountain Bikers , Horse riders and Moto cross bikers are not allowed in the Forrest. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah its funny that the mountain bike assocation made the complaint to Olivia Mitchell. Having seen the range recently I think it could do with some signs to say its private land and no tresspassing. As it stands its pretty much an open invite to mountian bikers etc. to do what they like. There is plenty of evidence of their activities all over the range at the moment.

I know a fence is going up but the signs would be a good start before that is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Ammoman wrote:
    I was up at the range yesterday and took some photos of the coillte signs , it is very clear that Mountain Bikers , Horse riders and Moto cross bikers are not allowed in the Forrest. :D
    Oh, those are nice! And useful stuff to have on file too.

Is there any possibility of getting photos showing these signs AND something identifying their location in the one shot? I'm thinking of something like the Coillte sign at the entrance to the forest, a road sign of some sort, or a permanent building or natural feature somewhere in the image.
    Just in case the signs get removed or changed, you know?

And to be utterly paranoid, shoot ( :D ) the images on film and include a legible copy of a daily paper showing the date too!

• Advertisement

And here's something else you might want to photograph-
    http://www.mtbireland.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=4455.msg44776#msg44776

Rovi wrote:
    And here's something else you might want to photograph-
    http://www.mtbireland.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=4455.msg44776#msg44776

I have to laugh at these guys , they are breaking the law , not the Leinster club ,and they are trying to get the range closed down . Maybe they dont realise that the landowner will fence the whole lot anyway to keep them out, whether the range goes ahead or not. If he does they will also loose the use of the tracks outside the range , and he will be able to prosecute tresspassers . I have to say as well that I am surprised at coillte , letting this situation with the mountainbikers and pony treckers etc continue , If there is an accident in that forest over any of these groups , it will cost coillte a fortune in compensation . Shooters at least have insurance , i doubt that these other groups do.

Rabid nimbyism doesn't leave much room for a bit of 'live and let live,' does it?

Its mad that they seem to think that a private land owner cannt put up a fence without planing. Clearing gorse is not an offence nor does it need planing and the land owner and anyone he gives permission to can shoot on his land.

One guy really said it though:
    btw, its 20ish acres, if they fence that off, we are all fecked. Thats the only thing bothering me, not v dangerous really, unless some scobies try to ambuse the guys and rob their guns & tape them to their mopeds!
    http://www.mtbireland.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=4455.msg44604#msg44604

Im also not sure that the range has to be certified (thats part of the up coming amendments is it not?)

Anyway they are going to lose the use of the land eiter way so they would be better to be gracefull about it and at least keep the tracks to the sides which the landowner also owns and will leave open if the range goes ahead.

As Ammoman said they are the ones breaking the law every day up there so its a bit much to be acusing the LR&PC of anything.

The lads on the Irish Downhill forum were talking about it for a while too-
    http://www.irishdh.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=1427, though they seem to have a more positive attitude.

• Advertisement

There a pretty decent bunch by the looks of that, pitty our mountain biker friends arn't so open minded... :(

Rew wrote:
    ...mounting biker friends...
    Must............... resist...................... temptation!

Must................. purge.................. image....................... from.............. mind!

<brain explodes>
    Aaaaaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhhh!

:D

LOL, fixed! :)

Here's a scan of the article in yesterday's Sunday Tribune (4th September 2005) (194KB)-
    http://tinypic.com/ddz5s7.jpg

I didn't bother including the picture of a mountain biker. It's a nice picture and all, but the scan is big enough as it is :)

Here is the reply from Rod on the LRPC website , i agree with him on this one , we should all give our support to this range going ahead , and stop the antis now.

I have to say that the article published and some of the quotes that were supposedably made by me are less than balanced and the quote "It would be far better than what it ( The Range) is used for at the moment - drugs and sex " was not made by any of the people from the range , I think that it is a little sensationalism , just like the Article Title. The photo is choice of the week , the Tribune call up to do an article about a rifle range and use the photo of a mountainbiker ? The reporter was given a lot of information about the safety proceedures and general range rules , and also a copy of the club press release , none of which were used , so PRO or not , if the reporter refuses to use the information given , there will never be a balanced article written . The Tribune want to sell papers , and use titles like "Shooters,bikers,walkers and trekkers go to war " now if thats not bios , what is ?

As for the comment that we are amateurs by Olivia Mitchell is typical , she has once again jumped in without checking the facts , I have contacted her by phone as we could not arrange an appointment to meet face to face , and again went through the safety record of shooting sports and the safety rules and precautions being put in place by LRPC , but she decided to ignore anything that was said , again this mindset is hard to reverse , antis are not going to change .

I agree that we need some positive press and am working on it , we also need the support of all the shooters out there , members or not , because if the Anti gun / shooting press and individuals think that we will roll over at the slighest negativity , they are wrong . Shooting sports and in general the people that are involved in the sport have been getting a raw deal in this country for the last 35 yrs and we have battled to win back the ability to partake in OUR SPORT , we are not about to let anyone stop us again .

Ammoman wrote:
    Here is the reply from Rod on the LRPC website , i agree with him on this one , we should all give our support to this range going ahead , and stop the antis now.

I dont think there is any question of our support for the range Ammoman, everyone here wants to sse it up and running.

Rew wrote:
    I dont think there is any question of our support for the range Ammoman, everyone here wants to sse it up and running.

Perhaps people should let them know they are fully supporting their range , Send them an E-Mail showing your support, with your actual name / details on it . it might help with the planning if the Co.Co. see that there is a high level of support for the facility . I have already sent My Mail to leinsterrifleclub@hotmail.com
    :D

Advertisement