Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish Band Ever!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

what you think of black rose? I think it's got some of the best songs they've done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Waht do you mean pogues kinda Irish? How Irish can you get?

Shane MacGowan was born in England. They formed in London. Hardly the Blarney Stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Horslips easily the best..
    ..multi talented bunch, their live shows were red hot,,,seen them and Thin Lizzy at wembley arena in 78, what a night that was!!.Lizzy were good, but Horslips stole the show..was all over the music press the week after that they had done so...They were a niche outfit overseas,,and a damm fine bunch of musicians - Johnny Feans guitar was red hot..dont get me started on O'connor on electric mando and fiddle - played that mando like a rock lead guitar live *was a custom hard body job, not one of those dinky mandos with a pick up*...
    Horslips deffintaely the best from this country, Lizzy next the rest?...well who the hell are they!!?

ciao' amigos...Baggio......

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Taste
    Kerbdog/Wilt
    Therapy?
    Skid Row
    Thin Lizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Warlords Of Pez :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

It has to be U2. I also love Thin Lizzy. But U2 have more top songs. Achtung Baby and the Joshua Tree are two of the best albums of all time. Plus that second Slane show I was at in 2001 was the best gig ive ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mo_thoin

Thin Lizzy and Therapy?!!!!
    Legends!!!!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Phil Coulter anyone?

By far - Rory Gallagher

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

probably wilt for me i dunno really though,
    therapy? live though are fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

Clergy!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Thin Lizzy tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Warlords Of Pez :D

Padré Pio!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Frosty

Celtic Legacy

celtic-legacy.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

aint the biggest fan of irish bands but U2 anyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

This thread has probably been done before.What band do you think is the best to come out of Ireland?
    Thin Lizzy for me personally. You know real Rock! Forget them goin heavy in the later years it was still rock! I mean it feels like your listening to Rock you know like the way Lemmy says that Motorhead is just rock and roll! and not metal like a lot of people say. You know when you listen to metal and you feel its metal not like when you listen to Lizzy you know its just rock and roll!
    If I was in a funny mood I woulda said Sultans Of Ping FC
    Maybe Horslips could be considered the best. Celtic ROCK!
    PS
    A statue of Philo is being put in Grafton Street sometime soon!

I want to see therapy? and Kerbdog play a reunion gig together in the ambassador co-headlining!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Ash.
    Jack L is quite amazing live too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

"The 4 of Us"

their early rock stuff... not the soft ballad stuff later on !

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

easpa measa/the dagda/primordial/serpents/revolution of a sun/tooth
    cant believe some of the stuff ye are coming up with. U2? Wilt? Ash? Horslips? Pogues i can understand but not on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭funky_buddah

Thin Lizzy, and I'd personally prefer Gary's guitar playing to Rory's.

No offence to Rory (legend - much respect - RIP), but Gary can ****ing wail.

Speaking of Rory,was anybody else against the monument Music Maker were applying to put up to Rory Gallagher? I'm sorry, but when a music shop trys to put a statue of a guitar that they're selling, I dont take that as a tribute to a guitar legend, I take it as a sly,advertising move in disguise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭funky_buddah

*Page* wrote:
    Clergy!!

I met their guitar player a while ago. Funny guy...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

John2 wrote:
    Shane MacGowan was born in England.

Just because his folks happened to be there visiting relatives ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

leeway!!.....no wait, primordial

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Probably:
    Whipping Boy
    Kerbdog/Wilt
    Ash
    Thin Lizzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 vindictive_miss

Sol Axis!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

hmm horslips in the non metal section...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I'd say Thin Lizzy meself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

Lizzy prob, therapy? alright too.
    U2:- crap...
    P.S Is bono secretly a third world african in disguise?? Afterall they get free concerts, we have to pay!!! :-) Not that I would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Thin Lizzy, and I'd personally prefer Gary's guitar playing to Rory's.

No offence to Rory (legend - much respect - RIP), but Gary can ****ing wail.

Speaking of Rory,was anybody else against the monument Music Maker were applying to put up to Rory Gallagher? I'm sorry, but when a music shop trys to put a statue of a guitar that they're selling, I dont take that as a tribute to a guitar legend, I take it as a sly,advertising move in disguise.

DITTO DITTO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Lizzy #1
    Rory #2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

axel90 wrote:
    U2:- crap... P.S Is bono secretly a third world african in disguise??

I am looking for a thread to post a rant about U2, and this one is as good as any.

I didnt know whether to look in the music forum or the politics forum, so feel free to notify me of a better place to post.

I'm suffering a bit from "U2-itis" this week. Between the extensive media coverage, several TV documentaries, the 3 concerts (didnt go but sure I've seen them 5 or 6 times already and I cant pogo to the electric co like I used to many years ago), Bono's African crusade and appearances on TV (he's now representing us seemingly, he claims he has a silent but numerous mandate in his book!), his biography, the court case about a hat (I should read her alternative non-approved book), etc .....

I've grown up with U2, as many people have, in a way they do represent many in the 20 to even 40 range, but Paul Hewson is just living a bit too much in his own fantasy world these days. If he is so concerned about the bloody debt and the poor in Africa why doesnt he sell all his excess property, donate all his excess wealth, just keep a mill or two, and then and only then start a crusade to persuade others to donate some of their excess wealth. Lead by example, in other words. Mother Teresa he is not .....

Its good to see U2 still playing their music and all that and still putting on a show at their age, but Paul H needs to leave out the double-speak charity work. Geldof is just as much a hypocrite in that area ..... but its expected from him as he is a bit of a moaner and a plonker. The rest of U2 are letting Bono at it, I'd say Ali is glad to see him out of the house, and maybe
    the rest of the band are glad to see him out of the Studio as well ....

Also good to see the court made him realise what a kid he is:

Clerk or Judge: "Name Please?"
    - Bono, looks around in puzzlement, at Paul McGuiness, at
    counsel, then says: "Bono ...". His Counsel stares at him.
    Bono: "Erm, Paul <something> Hewson"
    (I cant remember what his middle name is)

Now, a quick joke:
    Judge: "Stand Up"
    Bono's Counsel: "He is standing up your honour"

Maybe there are numerous threads lambasting U2/Paul Hewson, if so, I'll move the rant to one of those.

Btw, the best Irish band ever is hard to state, as there have been several era's where bands have been unbelievably good but also where they were playing different types of music. Its hard to compare apples to oranges.

Horslips were very influential on many of the others, Lizzy were brilliant, Rory Gallagher was unbelievably talented and not "pop" oriented at all, U2 were class for many generations, and we do have to hand it to them that they are still going, a good live band and the best exploited, the Undertones had a few class songs, SLF did a great gig, the Pogues also have a few classics being more oirish than the oirish themselves, especially on the alcohol front. The Rats also had their moments, although not musically but exploitively pop on the back of the punk wave. I've been at all of these bands except Gallagher, who tbh honest plays a lot of blues and for myself personally I cant listen to hours of that stuff, and the Boomtown Rats.

Redspider

Advertisement