Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross-channel credit card checks...

Options
  • 03-06-2005 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your recent order, with all orders we carry out standard name and address security checks, with your details we had to contact our Amex merchant services for verification, they say your card issuing bank withhold from carrying out these authorisation checks, so they could not verify the details.

May we suggest that you fax to us a copy of your statement, please blank out any sensitive information, but please ensure it shows your card number, your name and your address.

Please advise...

Kind regards

Okay WTF? I've heard of this problem coming up before but it's the first time I've been caught by it. As I have neither a fax machine nor easy access to one, completing the order for item just became a major hassle.
    Like my last rant on payment clearing times, this post once again lays firm criticism at the door of the Irish banking system. It's 2005 for **** sake....why is it so hard to allow access to my records to facilitate security checks (which I like to see being made TBH)?
    I'm not sure of the processes involved but it would seem the retailer I'm dealing with would like to verify that I am who I say am, and that I really live where the item is being shipped to...but they cannot do so due to my card's issuing bank refusing them the data.
    Now it's likely that this policy too is some form of data security, but honestly with online purchases being such an everyday thing nowadays, surely changes need to be made?

Seriously, who makes up this crap? From the layman's perspective it seems as if the banks just can't be arsed paying staff to deal with thousands of security checks on card purchases every day...why then do we all pay such extortionate interest rates, fees etc etc?
    I intend to find an easy way to settle all this (preferably without having to find someone who owns a fax machine lol) but why should I have to? It's my card. My details. My data. I've authorised the transaction....surely it's up to the bank to facilitate me and the merchant.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's more to do with the fact that the merchant you're dealing with is refusing to accept any non-uk credit card for security reasons.

Some retailers verify your credit card number against your postal code as an extra form of security. Obviously, this is a huge problem for Irish card holders as we don't currently have post codes thanks to An Post! They'll be introduced by 2008 at the latest by the government wheather An Post wants them or not.

The security number on the signature strip *SHOULD* be all they need. I can't see why the Mastercard/Visa/EuroPay/AmEx issuers can't simply give everyone a secret code that only they would know that is printed on their statements and not on their cards.

That would uniquely identify the card to the cardholder without all this address verification nonsense.

I would be loathed to send a faxed copy of my credit card statement to any retailer. It's very dangerous..

There's an element of trust required both ways on a credit card transaction. Retailers have to trust their customers and customers have to trust their retailers. They simply shouldn't ship the goods until the credit card has been authorised.

If it's a stolen card that's really an issue between the bank and the cardholder, not the retailer once they've taken all *NORMAL* steps to ensure the card's genuine.

I would be very concerned that my faxed copy of my credit card statement might end up in the wrong hands or be dealt with in a less than confidential way.

Perhaps you should suggest sending them a bank draft in the amount they require!

There are probabally various issues under the data protection act here with providing data about the customer that's not really relevant to the transaction too. Particularly where that data's being transmitted outside the country.

It could also be as simple as the verification service is obcessed with postal codes and can't understand how you don't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Let me guess, is it maplin?

If it is Maplin why not call them in Dublin, Cork and Galway

Maplin Electronics, Dublin Rd Galway 091 767662
    Maplin Electronics Ltd 413 Blanchardstown T Ctr Dublin Dublin 15 01 8215810
    Maplin Electronics Ltd Unit F Blackpool Bus pk Cork 021 4309196
    Maplin Electronics PLC U 1 Jervis st Dublin 1 01 8782388

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Thanks for that first post Solair...
    Yeah, I'm not overjoyed about faxing my statement to god knows who in another country, especially with idenity theft the way it is. I've mailed 'em back asking about direct bank transfer. I could get a £stg bank draft but that involves going to a bricks and mortar bank; impossible with my working hours.

No, not Maplin. Place called Stone Audio. I can see why they'd do security checks when electronics goods are being purchased, since it's one of the things card cloners buy up for reasonable resale value.
    Why then can I purchase a similar items from Amazon or a host of other large online UK retailers without the slightest bit of hassle? Never once been contacted in my years of online buying. Same with anything I've bought from the 'States.

Maybe I went off half cocked at the banking system; seems there's more than them to blame here...

Possible they just have a very UK-specific credit card system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

i have had this problem buying from the UK before, its down to the post codes, they address they enter doesnt match the format their bank uses. HSBC based systems are the problem AFAIR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Nuttzz wrote:
    i have had this problem buying from the UK before, its down to the post codes, they address they enter doesnt match the format their bank uses. HSBC based systems are the problem AFAIR

Thanks for that.
    In the finish up I've found the item on sale at an Irish Online retailer (and it's only 10% more expensive :rolleyes: ) so I get to avoid taking time off work to get a £stg draft, and also avoid paying a fiver to send it by registered post; so maybe worth that extra 10%...

Advertisement