Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dats

Options
  • 03-06-2005 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Anyone in 5th / 6th year do these DATs tests? they seem to be quite similar to the SAT's we did to qualify for CTYI........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Yeah i did them.

They are quite boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

We did them in 3rd year... heard absolutely nothing more of them until we were given the results one day in 5th year... doing them didn't change my life in any way, shape or form - well, we did miss half a day of school, but that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

NOTHING like the SAT-1 tbh. Total crap if you ask me - have no bearing on anything - they're just a way to keep TYs busy in most schools...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Yeah, I did them in 4th year - they're super easy and super boring. The school wanted us to do them to help us choose our LC subjects, apparently, but they were no help at all since most people got roughly the same score in most of them. I mean, out of the eight tests, I got the exact same score in six of them! So it was no help at all, and they were just used as a tool by my guidance counsellor to try pushing me into medicine

Jono087, are you going to be doing them soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

i did them this year. Got top percent in all but two, second in clerical speed, and sixth in language. Which caused my guidance counselor to respond, you know, we've just got this leaflet from a course in DCU, you might be interested...
    Of course I'd already been twice and this was already february.

Tests are easy, but a nice way to get a day off. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Got top percent in all but two
    Me too! Got slightly less in Mechanical Reasoning, and less again in Clerical Speed and Accuracy (which means I'm not cut out for being a receptionist - oh dear - but that's pretty obvious from my crap typing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Yeah they're a bit dull. I asked my teacher if clerical speed and accuracy meant being a very fast priest, and I think she thought it was a serious question.

Undergod wrote:
    I asked my teacher if clerical speed and accuracy meant being a very fast priest, and I think she thought it was a serious question.
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

A ridiculous number of people in my year got told that they should be gynaecologists on their test results...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, did them this year. Load of arse if you ask me. Did nothing for nobody. (Aw yeah, the T *is* for smart! :D )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Fishie wrote:
    Jono087, are you going to be doing them soon?

Ya did them already, got 99 in 5 of them and a 97 and a 96.

I actually thoiught the teacher was ripping the piss out of me when we were going through the results. the conversation went something like this: "ya, you're good at that, ya, you're good at that, ya, you're good at that, ya, you're good at that, ya, you're good at that, ya, you're good at that, ya, you're good at that". Which means i can't differentiate between what i'm good at and what i'm better at..... waste of time.

jono087 wrote:
    i can't differentiate between what i'm good at and what i'm better at..... waste of time.
    Nuisance, isn't it? that's what happened to most people in my year who did it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Got the same sort of a result. Was useful for my LCVP career investigation project because I could point at it. Bugger all else though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

hey look, at least i got a half day over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

We did them but never got the results...our guidence counsellor said that we didn't need to know the results. She "interpreted" them and said to everyone either "you would make a good architect'' or " you wouldnt make a good architect"

So basically, a waste of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

i did them and got told that i shouldn't do any sciences for the leaving... mainly because i didn't do any for the junior cert... then got told that i have to do a science so i can become an engineer... which might be the last thing i want to be. other than doctor.
    i'm not the sciencey type

we weren't told our results either, all we got was "you're strong here... not strong here..need to work hard here....". Unfortunately all the guidance counselour did for me was scan through the list and say "you don't seem to have any weaknesses". i had been hoping for her to tell me i wasn't good at certain things so as to close them off as subject choices. It was like the malcom in the middle where he cant decide what to do, does a test to tell him what he should be, and gets the results back,"You can do whatever you want"

(except i'm far more handsome)

(except i'm far more handsome)

heh, I always picture people as a kinda elongated version of their pic, so a tall Calvin...

maybe cute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

*Notes that gigglingrat doesn't have a pic*

wonder what nothing stretched looks like??

i'm the image of my avatar.

• Advertisement

It's funny because it's true...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

wonder what nothing stretched looks like??

Victoria Beckham

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

In that case, Cathal Malone is far scarier than I remember.

Maybe my tentacles, venomous fangs and third head were obscured by a stray hair.

Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

wow, some people do look like theyre avatar (not me)

I think thats a typical pose for you cathal

Yeah, now all ye need is the speech bubble.

The lack of pic is deliberate...I am mysterious, I am aloof, I am..*trips over feet*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I look like my old avatar.......or so I like to think....

Piste wrote:
    I look like my old avatar.......or so I like to think....
    then change back!

on an earlier post, i'm the only member i know of who's own picture was cartoonised for their avatar. No need for a custom avatar for me!

• Advertisement

I look a little like mine...

Advertisement