Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crouch, Zenden, Traore gets 4 year deal ?!

• 03-06-2005 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Troare signs a new 4 year deal, Bolo Zenden and Peter Crouch being targeted by Liverpool...seems to me that Rafa may have contracted our former manager's crazy brain disease...has he?
    Ok Crouchy could turn into a decent player, good target man. Zenden would be on a free, he couldn't do any worse than Smicer and Kewell have done combined in the last 2 years. Point is, I think the manager of the European champions should be setting his sights a bit higher. The money is there, world class players are what's needed to improve this team. Does anyone know why Rafa hasn't (to my knowledge) tried to sign Michael Ballack from Bayern??? He would be a perfect signing for us and afaik he is in his last year of his contract...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

There are other clubs chasing Ballack (barcelona afaik) and the talks keep stalling due to crazy wage demands. If we could offset it by maybe getting rid of Kewells wages then that may be an option but it could end up being crippling... We may have won the cup and setting our sights higher is always the order of the day but we don't have an infinite bank balance unfortunately...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

He's rejected Barcelona again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Ballack to Barca? Jesus, they'd have an amazing squad with him in it(not that they dont already...) Any idea what type of wages he's demanding? He'd be fool not to move to Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

with Alonso and Gerrard in the middle i do not think Liverpool actually need ballack - he would improve ANY squad obviously, but i think Gerrard and Alonso could be brilliant together and i would like to see what they can do. What is Ballack anyway? DM or AM? i thought he was an AM but loads of people seem to think he would be an ideal replacement for Roy Keane which would mae him a DM....

He's an AM i thought....a brilliant one, at that. Make up for Roy Keane? I dunno about that, but he'd probably improve their goalscoring per game :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I could improve the united scoring game....... i can see this being another summer where i'll have to resign myself to the impending fact United are going to rely on a five man midfield to hold keanes hand in the big games again. Anywho - Traore getting a new contract, superb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I was a big advocate and rumour-mongerer of Ballack to Liverpool, but that was at the time when Gerrard was leaving, well according to everyone on this site who somehow knew inside information.

Since I cant see Gerrard leaving, I cant see Ballack signing. A pity, because he is a savage player, but at the same time he has a bit of an attitude. Its a trade off I suppose. Great player, but I think Gerrard will really do the business next year.

As regards the others, Traore deserves a contract, Im sure he has just been told he will be a squad player, and has accepted that.

Zenden in all fairness has been outstanding this year, on a free he would be a good signing. He has really been excellent this year, and any Boro fan will tell you that.

Zenden is deadly, would be a pretty good signing alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Tauren wrote:
    with Alonso and Gerrard in the middle i do not think Liverpool actually need ballack - he would improve ANY squad obviously, but i think Gerrard and Alonso could be brilliant together and i would like to see what they can do. What is Ballack anyway? DM or AM? i thought he was an AM but loads of people seem to think he would be an ideal replacement for Roy Keane which would mae him a DM....
    AM. Same type of player as Lampard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Raul is in the mix too apparently, Crouch is a left-field suggestion but it seems Rafa is looking for someone for the Prem who can do a "big Niall".

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

its not that bad an idea,remember back to euro 2004 how well baros played off Kohler (not sure on the name,lanky czech dude), maybe its a case of adding the option of long balls from alonso and gerrard to the big man to take down and baros dispatch

couldnt be any less productive than he is now,would work well for morientes also i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Liverpool will replace about 8 players this season.

Some will be great signings, some will be squad men considering we are releasing about 10 players overall.

The key will be to make the ok players in the 1st team squad lads next year and make the crap squad lads history.

I think Liverpool will bring in 1 or 2 big names and then about 4 squads. Zenden makes sense as he would be on a free, can play a few positions and knows Rafa from his time in Spain. Frees up cash for the players Rafa wants.

We will sign 1 keeper, 1 centre back, 2 wingers, 1 stirker and 1 all rounder

Perhaps Reina, Upson (Milito), SWP and Vincete, Kuyt and Zenden.

Baros will move on to make cash for more players and so to will Kirkland.

Emmo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Teletext today says Raul is thinking of leaving Real after 11 years, time to move on. I wonder could he rediscover his form linking up with his old mate Morientes at Anfield...

That'd be pretty good, but he'd probably cost a bomb. Any idea how much he'd go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I dont know if it would be a good idea having both of em. There is no doubting that they do have the ability but Morientes is yet to show it and there would be the possibility that Raul will take sometime too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I dont know if it would be a good idea having both of em. There is no doubting that they do have the ability but Morientes is yet to show it and there would be the possibility that Raul will take sometime too.
    :eek:

If a player of Rauls calibre came available to Liverpool they would be fools not to sign him.

The lad is only 27, so he has at least 5 years at the top left in him. As far as I remember its not as if he is a player with a huge ego either. I wouldnt care if it takes time for him to settle, he is one of the best strikers in the world.

Maybe he feels he has gone stale at RM as he has been there for so long, but he would be more than welcome at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

plus Morientes and Raul were banging stacks of goals in for Real before Ronaldo arrived. probably Reals best forward partnership for about 25 years.

And maybe soon to be Liverpools best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Troare signs a new 4 year deal,

lol omg how is that happening,total waster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Raul played a big part in Clemente leaving Real Madrid, he went to Perez moaning about team selections and that was the end of Clemente.
    As for Ballack, I think he would be a good signing for Liverpool regardless of Gerrard staying or going. It's always good to have quality and depth to your squad, and considering Liverpool's luck last season somebody is bound to get injured.
    Ballack and Barca I don't see much point there. Barca don't need him, they have van Bommell, Ronaldinho, Deco & Guily who are all attacking midfielders.

• Advertisement

Yeah, i think Ballack would be a great signing for liverpool. Have him in front of Alonso and Gerrard, with maybe Luis Garcia to his right....would that work? Either way, im sure they'd find a suitable formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hey, Traore is a Champions League Winner.
    Much like Kleberson is a world cup winner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I remember hearing a few years ago that Raul has a ridiculous buy out clause in his contract in the region of £120m. Beckham & Ronaldos is somewhere in the region of £150m. Real are renowned for doing this and it's basically to keep other teams from trying to come in and buy their big name players.

But I think with him being such a big servant to the club they might drop that to £50m :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Crouch to liverpool has a touch of the heskey factor about it for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

not too keen on the crouch idea, him and morientes up front doesnt fill me with joy. I would much prefer too see him use the money to prise andy johnson away from palace.

Traore is grand, he will do a job as a squad player. Again zendan on a freebie certainly isnt a bad move.

Advertisement