Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New consumer movement in Greece - and some corrections to you dear all :)

Options
  • 03-06-2005 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hello there,

howdy! I had last come in here in 2003, when I had started Greeceoffline.org in the steps of you, to get rid of our own Eircom, OTE, ripping charges.

Things have not changed particularly much since then...

*Your dear well-known figure called Soula Evans is still the "Director of Residential and Business Customers" in OTE. That's great aint it?

*Greeceoffline.org had to be shut down due to erm, lack of interest and time.

*But, we start a new movement against OTE and ISP's here pretty shortly!

*Any advice will be much appreciated.

*Your analysis of broadband prices is wrong, Greece should not be in the 22nd place but in 30th++.

We are FORCED to pay the sum you mention to OTE, and an EQUIVALENT CHARGE to ISP's. The total price of 512 is at this point over 30 E per month...You only compared the one part of the charge we have to pay.

Please correct this ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Sovjohn wrote:
    Things have not changed particularly much since then...

Can you tell us about broadband availability in Greece?

About a year ago I had the pleasure to talk to a very friendly and informed lady in one of the Greek embassies about the country's broadband figures etc.
    From what I remember she was putting forward the explanation that the lack of English as a language, combined with a lack of web content in Greek, and poor bb availability outside of Athens and some few other cities were the main cause of Greece's poor showing. She had not much hope that there was much chance of catching up due to the reasons mentioned above.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Sovjohn

Gladly,

its all a black hole really...You cant expect people to invest to content when there is no market. You cant expect users to enter the market when there is no content :)

Well, the ones having broadband arent really thinking the .gr sites, international ones is the way ahead...

Broadband availability is: High in the capital and surrounding areas (Athens), quite high in other major cities, mediocre in islands and other areas, nonexistent in rural areas.

Pricing structure: Deters many users from going online with broadband. Dialup isnt cheaper...We get charged 0,352 E per hour of online activity in peak hours (08:00-22:00) and 0.176 E per hour of online activity in off-peak hours.

Supposedly, the government will put forward plans to make broadband lucrative to students - only -.

The ISP's say OTE is to blame for everything (pricing structure, lack of 0800 internet access, et al). OTE says the ISPs make him lose money, so he wont change a thing.

However, i insist, you will have to change your board...Greece is far below the 30th place in it.

I hope we will achieve something better this time.

Advertisement