Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arbitration vs conciliation

Options
  • 03-06-2005 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

anyone have a definition on how these are different

i hav an idea that conciliation is lrc
    and arbitration is lc and legally binding

just need confirmation/ more ideas on it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

x and y are having an arguement. arbitration is when a third party listens to x and y and decides that one of them is fully correct and sides with them. concilliation is when the 3rd party trys to bring them together with negotiation and make them settle their differences without necessarily saying one is correct.
    hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

THATS BRILL!
    The best way of explaining it ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Is one of them not that the decision is accepted in advance as legally binding??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I was just looking at my business book, I assume thats what we're talking about.
    An arbitrators decision is binding, an arbitrator is like a referee.

Yep! Arbitration is when an external party comes down on one definite side of the argument and both parties agree in advance that they will accept the arbitrators decision. Conciliation is not legally binding, it is when an external party tries to find common ground and resolve the conflict in a non legal fashion!

Can I check it is spelt party not parté or something silly like that!!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Yeah its party, only time parte comes up is in an 'ex parte' injunction taken out to stop people from going on strike/protesting on premises. Either way thats not on topic.

Mediation is another word for conciliation?

A conciliator tries to reconcile the prob in a non legal fashion, finding common ground! A mediator is like an arbitrator except also non-legal a negotiator who acts as a link between parties !

Typical question

Mentions and describ two forms of solving a conflict in business on legal method and one non legal method!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

ARBITRATION- occurs when two disputing parties agree to call in a third party whhom they both respect and trust to investigate and make a decision to resolve the dispute

CONCILLIATION- independant third party who helps each party understand the others p.o.v. The concilliator does not suggest a solution but helps sort the dispute out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

dont want to confuse anyone any further but there's two types of arbitration, binding and non-binding and even binding isnt strictly 'legally' binding :D
    actually just ignore that, they'll never ask us something like that and i dont wanna confuse anyone :rolleyes:

Advertisement