Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many Poets are you studying?

Options
  • 03-06-2005 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Just a a matter of interest. Im studying 4, i hope that im not gonna have 1.5% bad luck and none of them come up!

Studying:
    Boland
    Dickinson
    Longley (favorite poet)
    Wordsworth

How many poets you studying? 34 votes

0% 0 votes
    8% 3 votes
    26% 9 votes
    20% 7 votes
    11% 4 votes
    29% 10 votes
    2% 1 vote
    IM SUPERMAN! ALL 8!
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Longley's the only one we didn't study in class.

For the exam i'll be learning quotes from Kavanagh, Boland, Dickinson, Heaney and yeats. I doubt one of those won't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Yeats
    Boland
    Dickinson

I've heard a female poet HAS to come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

exiztone wrote:

That's not true you just generally get at least one. Could shock us this year! I hope so I'm not doing any female poets. I'm doing 5: Heaney, Longley, Yeats, Wordsworth, Eliot.

exiztone wrote:

Yeats
    Boland
    Dickinson

I'm doing the same three. I couldn't bother wasting my time on a subject like English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I'm doing 4, I was planning on doing 5 but sh!t happens...

Kavanagh
    Yeats
    Dickinson
    Heaney

Seen as you guys seem to like Longley do you wanna give me a few pointers? Please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Have you all your quotes learned off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

He likes his da I'll tell you that. Or maybe he doesn't. He writes about him anyway. Maybe I should crack open a book...

Africa wrote:
    Have you all your quotes learned off?

That's what the frantic night before the exam is for.

<Jonny> wrote:
    That's what the frantic night before the exam is for.

OMG! I hope you're kidding? Learning quotes from 4/5 different poets, and your single text, and your comparative, in one day? :eek:

Yeah, i'm kidding. That doesn't mean I won't still be franticly learning things the night before though.

• Advertisement

Of course not.

You scared me there for a second though!

well....it is possible.

Ive done out ym SSt quotes, still have the rest to do!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

im doing 5

kavanagh
    boland
    heaney
    longley
    dickinson

although boland is probly my worst :o
    as for quotes at the moment my walls are nothing but a mass of highlighted sheets of quotes!! it helps to, its always there in front of you, you dont have to go searching kinda thing

as for hamlet i counted up my quotes to learn.. grand total= 29 so i know about 10 of them, so if i learn 5 a day till the exam it should be ok :confused:

does anyone else think that once english and irish are over it will be grand..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

6 or more and u are a loser. Or u have too much time on your hands or both. if u study 7 or more the option should be im a sad bastard. Seriously though u know at least one of the poets out 5 will be on it why BOTHER study a sixth?

huh? do you mean me or in general!??
    i never said i was doing six!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

in general of course. Sorry if anybody took offense to last post by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

you're doing 5 so obviously he means in general

oh ok! no its cool, i agree, i dont know how i would even have time to do anymore than 5 i mean its hard enough as it is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Zukustious wrote:
    That's not true you just generally get at least one. Could shock us this year! I hope so I'm not doing any female poets. I'm doing 5: Heaney, Longley, Yeats, Wordsworth, Eliot.

5?! your a god damn sicko. im doing 3 maybe even 2 when i found out its worth only 50 marks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Dickinson
    Heaney
    Boland
    Wordsworth
    I was going to do Yeats as well, but I don't see the point anymore.

Is Dickinson on the course for next year? Cause afaik Boland's only up this year, so if Dickinson is up next year as well you'd have to put your bets on Boland being the female poet.

• Advertisement

2006= donne
    hardy
    hopkins
    yeats
    eliot
    bishop
    plath
    longley

• Registered Users Posts: 39 camroc

Okay, could someone answer this once and for all, does a female poet have to come up? If not I am screwed!

It doesnt HAVE to but you can bet there will be one. I think lots of people are.

JIC, study another one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

I'm doing: Dickinson Yeats Eliot Longley Heaney

Rnger wrote:
    5?! your a god damn sicko. im doing 3 maybe even 2 when i found out its worth only 50 marks

50 marks is 12.5% of your whole exam......quite a bit I'd say, and considering this is probably your 2/3/4th time revising the poets it's not so hard going...

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

boland
    heaney
    wordsworth
    dickinson

how many poems should you include in your answer, is three too little?

three or four. Usually going over is taking up time.

But apply to the topic at hand, dont go poem by poem unless the question reflects this approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

really?, thats how I was doing it
    so its better to deal with say, a technique that the poet uses and discuss it in all the relevant poems...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Doing 5 poets and I know 6 poems from each poet

Longley
    Dickinson
    Yeats
    Heaney
    Kavanagh

I could have learned Boland aswell so I would have an option of doing 2 poets for the exam but I hate her stuff so there was no gain to having her as an extra option.

Generally in an answer I will talk about 4 poems, any more and it means you musn't be delving in to teh poems to a great enough detail, any less and it shows you don't really know that much work by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

I'm learning 5 essays, a personal response on
    Boland
    Dickinson
    Yeats
    Worsworth
    Kavanagh

I'll be covered that way without having to learn off general spoofy stuff about all poets.Instead I have 5 essays, each discussing around 4 poems and then a few paragraphs on general points about the poet (Memorable quality, personal quality). Even if a straight "Personal Response" question doesn't come up, it's easily adaptable as they can't ask anything specific in the question. It will just be "Pick your favourite poems.." or "Write a speech to introduce the poetry of..." which is just the same as a personal response with a little tweeking. If anyone hasn't started studying poets properly yet, Id def recommend just writing and learning off a personal response so.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

exiztone wrote:
    Ah yes, but what if the female poet question is really ****ty and hard to answer on?
    I'm doing 5 - Dickinson, Yeats, Kavanagh, Longley and Heaney, although the three I know the best are probably Dickinson, Heaney and Longley. I could manage a question on the other two but it wouldn't be my ideal. I'm hoping for some manner of an A in English anyway, I really enjoy studying it, I find it way harder to study Irish simply because I don't enjoy it much

Advertisement