Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

watching out for others

Options
  • 03-06-2005 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

Just something I have noticed.
    On country roads i always tend to look out for other drivers(as was once the norm).
    By flashing them if I have passed an obstruction they are going to come upon.
    I.e. horses pedestriens or wide vehicles. I noticed this trend has waned, maybe because so many ex city dwellers in rural area's.
    Could I just advise if you are on a rural road and you pass such an obstruction, especially walkers, please flash an oncoming car to warn him.
    Hey feel good you could save a life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Speaking of changing road traditions, has anyone else noticed the fall-off of the drivers wave on country roads? It still happens a bit and frankly its a silly habit but I sort of miss it!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Hey I always wave and give a big smile. I have got the fingers the odd time but hey there's always one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Interesting, On occasion when I have borrowed/driven relatives/friends cars about in Irl. I often get waves, flashes, etc..... and then wonder, what was that in aid of.. and then realize. Aha! these guys recognized the car and normally wave or hoot on meeting, just like bus drivers, etc.

Now, now... I had my indictors on and was on the right side of the ditch... so none of what you'r thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

mike65 wrote:
    Speaking of changing road traditions, has anyone else noticed the fall-off of the drivers wave on country roads?
    Mike.

yeah - I was just thinking about it last weekend. I'm presuming it's because of people moving into the countryside who don't know it's traditional.
    I still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

TBH I haven't noticed any waning in this practice. Most drivers I meet will flash the lights if there is a loose cow or obstruction on the road up ahead. I'd also warn others myself.

One day I was driving near Maynooth on a main but narrow, windy and wet road. There was a big traffic jam on my side of the road but the other side was moving freely. But then the traffic started to back up on the other side a line of stationary cars formed with the last one stopped right on the apex of a bad bend. There was a high chance that the next car to go around the bend was going to slam into the stationary traffic. So I noticed some of the stationary cars on my side of the road flashing the oncoming traffic to warn them. Prevented a bad crash I reckon. Good driving.

As for waving to complete strangers on country roads - this still goes on a lot Although it's not really a wave, it's more of a flick of a finger up off the steering wheel (aka a farmer's wave) Drivers of Jettas, Ventos and Carina IIs are great for waving like this :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Slightly OT but, one funny thing I notice these days is that dogs have stopped chasing cars. About 10 or 15 years ago every dog you passed would be racing down the road barking at your wheel. Now it's actually a surprise if one does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I normally get flashed when there is a Garda revenue generation team on the road ahead:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

Slightly OT but, one funny thing I notice these days is that dogs have stopped chasing cars. About 10 or 15 years ago every dog you passed would be racing down the road barking at your wheel. Now it's actually a surprise if one does it.

They got bored as cars are much more common now, the novelty has worn off.

Advertisement