Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance and unaccompanied learners

Options
  • 04-06-2005 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I've been driving for 6 months now and have had my first provisional for 6 months.

I hear conflicting stories about whether you are covered by insurance if you were to have a crash while driving unaccompanied. Quinn Direct have told me I *am* covered, is this right? Even though driving alone on your first provisonal is technically illegal?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Driving unaccompanied on a 1st provisional is illegal but your insurance company may not say anything. Check what your policy document says and if you can't find anything then get it in writing somehow off them. Saying that you are covered over the phone is not enough (especially given that you are insured with Quinn!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Insurance companies can't just walk away from their liabilities. If, for example, you cause an accident and you are on your own on a first provisional, drunk out of your mind, and with every possible modification on your car undeclared, they can't just say to someone making a claim against you "oh, we're not paying you because our insured didn't do this or that...". They are still the insurer concerned and they wouldn't try to shirk their responsibilities and if they did, IFSRA wouldn't let them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Well, I don't drink, I don't speed, I don't venture onto the motorway and i'm insured on (my dad's) Laguna 1.9.

FYI when I first tried to get insured when I was 19, they wouldn't quote me because I was trying to get insurance on my own, on a prov licence. But now i'm 24 they're fine about it.

Will see if I can get it in writing from our broker - haven't gone with Quinn just yet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

true rover but afterwards they can come after you with a civil action to recover costs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm fairly sure that they are legally bound to cover the policy even if the driver is unaccompanied on a provisional. Obvosuly you should check if you are worried about it.

Also, the advice you get from Quinn Direct very much depends on who answers the phone and can be spurious/dangerous crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My position on this is - if they enforced the law on unaccompanied learners then it would force some things to happen.

remove congestion on the roads by removing a large % of cars
    improve public transport by increasing demand
    force the govermnent to do something about the driving test waiting times - the last time they did anything was in 1979 when they handed out licenses without people having to do tests

Insurance companies should stand up and say that either they insure you to drive illegally or the Gardai should do spot checks since then up to 20% of motorists would be driving without insurance if you include those who don't have any at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

kbannon wrote:
    true rover but afterwards they can come after you with a civil action to recover costs!

They could, but they never would because they know you don't have the money, and it means more time (which they don't have) dragging you through the courts, at the end of which the best result they can reasonably hope for in most cases is that you agree to pay £30 a month for the next X years and they get to pay costs.

I heard of lots and lots of cases where people have had fraudulent claims thrown out of court and the insurance companies had to pay their own costs. You would think they would go after them for costs but they don't bother because they know it's a waste of time. That's why it goes on so much - there's no downside. The worst that can happen is that your fraudulent claim doesn't succeed and you're no worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Advertisement