Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"third country duty" and calculating import costs

Options
  • 04-06-2005 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

What is 3rd country duty. I looked up the taric db for import tax on a type of products from the usa and it listed the 3rd country duty as 12.8%. Does that mean that I pay 12.8% of its value when I import it, or that I pay that if I want to sell it to someone in another country or...?

Am I missing anything in calculating total costs:

supplier's price +21% VAT +12.8% duty + delivery and storage costs.

Is it easy to get an importer's licence. Do you need to pay for that on top of the import duty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

pwd wrote:
    supplier's price +21% VAT +12.8% duty + delivery and storage costs.

((supplier's price + delivery costs) + 12.8% duty) + 21% VAT

Of course VAT isn't a problem for a VAT-rgistered trader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Thank you. I take it that means 3rd country duty is the same thing as import tax then.
    If I'm not VAT-registered, would I have to pay VAT when I buy it from the supplier, and then add it to the price again when I resell it to a customer? Would it be sensible to be VAT registered even for a small scale/speculative venture?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can't charge VAT unless you are registered to collect it. You have to register over certain limits (€20,000-50,000 see www.revenue.ie for the correct threasholds).

For small turnovers, it usually isn't worth the paperwork unless your inputs have a high rate and your sales a low rate. The only business I know where this works is food (excluding ready to eat / hot foods / restaurants).

There are a few grouping when it comes to duty

(a) Ireland
    (b) EU
    (c) Developed countries
    (d) Rest of WTO
    (d) Other countries

I'm not sure what counts as a "3rd country"

Country of origin/destination United States of America - US (400)
    Description
    No restrictions

Import
    Third country duty : 12.8 % Regulation/Decision : r2204/99

That's what it says for the product type on the taric database.

(in case anyone is interested)
    as i understand it, third country duty is the import tax rate applicable to countries that do not qualify for duty free status (some developing countries do)

edit: oh i think it makes sense now--it's "third country" because it doesn't have eu ststus and isn't a developing country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement