Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart move.....NOT

• 04-06-2005 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

Labour Party Spokesperson on Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Brendan
    Howlin, has said that if today’s allegations from the Communications
    Workers Union that two Smart Telecom employees have been fired because of
    their involvement with the union are true, then it is an outrageous breach
    of acceptable employment standards.

Deputy Howlin commented, “On the face of it is an outrageous breach of
    acceptable standards for any company operating in the Irish economy to
    dismiss any employee for attempting to join a union.

“Social partnership between employers, the Government, and staff is the
    cornerstone of industrial relations in Ireland and is unacceptable that
    employees are made redundant on this basis without consultation or
    justification.

“If these allegations are true, Smart Telecom must immediately reinstate
    the two employees.”

If this is true I'll have nothing to do with Smart.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Valentia wrote:
    If this is true I'll have nothing to do with Smart.
    Things seem to be going from bad to worse for them!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

And your source for this is?

Because I could type things like that too if I really wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

And your source for this is? Because I could type things like that too if I really wanted to.

Brendan Howlin.

Do you think I made it up? Where are you coming from with a statement like that.?rolleyes.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Valentia wrote:
    Brendan Howlin.

Do you think I made it up? Where are you coming from with a statement like that.?rolleyes.gif
    Tim Tim seems more interested in finding fault with other posts insted of posting something hethought up himself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

The wording of that article is quite interesting:
    if today’s allegations from the Communications Workers Union that two Smart Telecom employees have been fired because of their involvement with the union are true, then it is an outrageous breach of acceptable employment standards
    Originally I thought this article should be in the Politics forum; but after looking at that 'if-then' statement perhaps it should be moved to the Programming forum ;)

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Valentia wrote:
    Brendan Howlin.

Without saying where Brendan Howlin put it for you (and therefor, also us) to see and quote from, it could for all we know have been your arse making the claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, I'll be sticking with BT then!

I've cancled tickets with Irish Ferries for similar reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Perhaps it was just a coincidence that the people in question were useless and members of a union...

Blaster99 wrote:
    Perhaps it was just a coincidence that the people in question were useless and members of a union...

No company would be stupid enough to fire people trying to join a union, because the **** would hit the fan. Doing something like that is asking for trouble.

Like Blaster99 said, there has to be a reason. They are probaly disgruntled and looking to get back at Smart, use the union.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

could be that smart are doing the ryanair thing and refusing to talk to unions. they dont have to . anyone can join a union managment dont have to talk to you if you do join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Thats what happened to Garfield then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Poor Garfield, using the internet for non-business approved sites :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

got it, never mind

Without saying where Brendan Howlin put it for you (and therefor, also us) to see and quote from, it could for all we know have been your arse making the claims.

It was a press statement issued by Brendan Howlin for jazus sake.

You may (probably not) have noticed the link posted by iano.

God, if this is the level of your contribution here I just might be tempted to read your other 2500 odd posts the next time I'm constipated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Valentia wrote:
    I'm still wondering why we should take that as proof its true. Heck the statement doesn't even assert to its validity. And trusting politicans is not my favorite pass time. So get off your high horse, and unless there is some proof somewhere then this is just speculation on his behalf and yours.

I for one won't be changing who i'd go for as a supplier of my services based on an article that, as pointed out previously uses so many if's and then's that it is about as relevent as me saying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Valentia wrote:

Wonderful. Tell us that in future. I could post things here and say Joe Duffy said them if I wanted to, point is, people like to verify for themselves.
    Valentia wrote:
    You may (probably not) have noticed the link posted by iano.

The one that came a good quarter of an hour before you attacked TimTim for asking for one. Yeah, I saw it. Point is, you should have provided it.
    Valentia wrote:
    God, if this is the level of your contribution here I just might be tempted to read your other 2500 odd posts the next time I'm constipated.

Oh no. How dare you insult my postcount... :rolleyes: God, if this is the level of your contribution here...

Well, it appears I'm not alone in my stand against libelous comments about companies. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything until you posted that link. If it was a big (true?) thing surely more then a press release from the labour website would of appeared.

I'm gonna look through the sunday papers, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Oh no. How dare you insult my postcount... :rolleyes: God, if this is the level of your contribution here...

I'm pretty sure that was aimed at CyberGhost, well to be honest, His posts are pretty useless and just seem to get around the minimum word filter on vBulletin.

politics, is there any discussion they don't screw up and turn into an insultfest?

Hilarious stuff this :D

Where, anywhere, in this thread does it say the allegations are true?

Though I'm sure that the statement and the union's allegations will be investigated. If anyone is naive enough to believe that a company wont sack somebody for joining a union well than they haven't much clue of the length to which some companies will go to satisify their greed for cash.

Anyway, my ignore list has just grown.
    [font=&quot]
    [/font]

• Advertisement

btw, Valentia was that insult really addressed to me or to Aidan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Valentia wrote:
    Though I'm sure that the statement and the union's allegations will be investigated. If anyone is naive enough to believe that a company wont sack somebody for joining a union well than they haven't much clue of the length to which some companies will go to satisify their greed for cash.
    Emm, considering it would be illegal to do such, i think its quite reasonable were skeptic. It would be poor press, and a legal mine field on smart's part if it was true, which would out-weigh any potentional gains by having their entire staff non-unionised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's interesting, though, isn't it, that the non-unionised outfit offers broadband for €35 whereas the unionised outfit can manage it for €65. Greedy indeed. I think I'll continue to do business with non-unionised companies, if that's alright with you.

btw, Valentia was that insult really addressed to me or to Aidan?

Insult????

Am I missing something? This thread gets more like an alternative universe by the minute.

It was Mr. Walsh who started the insults. Would it have taken a child of more than seven to recognise my original post as a press release.

Mabye I wont be so presumptious in future and state the bleedin obvious.

As for your own posts, well I dont know why or how and percieved insult from me could be interpreted as being directed at them as they had nothing to do, as far as I can make out, to my original post and the main issue.

BTW Gene Kerrigan has a very interisting piece on how good we are as a nation at denial.

As for blaster taking his business to the cheapest company regardless of their employment practices, well I guess he is not in the minority there. It's just tjat I wouldn't.

And IF this SMARTstory turns out to be true I wont touch them.

It's all that simple really. Seemed like an innocious enough thread to start but sure I'll know better the next time.

TimTim wrote:

I'm pretty sure that was aimed at CyberGhost, well to be honest, His posts are pretty useless and just seem to get around the minimum word filter on vBulletin.

timtim = a**!

CyberGhost,

How could I have been referring to your post
    got it, never mind
    ?

I didn't understand it nevermind respond to it. What did you get?

Valentia wrote:
    CyberGhost,

How could I have been referring to your post ?

I didn't understand it nevermind respond to it. What did you get?

I couldn't get the page opened, for some reason it was displaying it incorrectly and I couldn't read it, and asked if someone could explain if has more info on it posted. then I got it to work.

it's that ***** timtim that started all this, I didn't get it either why would you say something about me, when I wasn't even referring to you in my first post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I'll wait until I see better evidence than a circumstantial press release from a politician before I go and boycott a company.

CyberGhost wrote:
    timtim = a**!

Another wonderful insight by CyberGhost and you have just exactly proved my point.

Cheers CyberGhost, I knew I could count on you.

And in regards to working with (non)unionised companies and their prices and etc. As Blaster99 has pointed out its a minefield to do things like that, Smart don't need the bad press so they won't do stupid things like that.

• Advertisement

asked if someone could explain if has more info on it posted

Where did you ask? Your first post was the "got it" one. Did you edit it and take out the question?

If so it's no wonder I'm confused. ;)

Advertisement