Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customer "CARE" is a 4 letter word

• 04-06-2005 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

:mad: Had 2mb broadband with iol, but I moved house temporarily recently and IOL/BT messed me up rightly in their "RELOCATION". After 5 weeks (of persistent phone calls from me)I got a letter advising that I would be connected within the next 15 says etc etc. I gave them a long rant on the whole concept os "Customer Care" and told them exactly where to stick their ADSbloodyL.
    Contacted Eircom, told them how their competitors had treated me and I asked could they do any better. Of course they said, but it would take 15 days. Ok I said, fire away. Now some 28 days later (again, after numerous phone calls from me), they rang me to advise me that, all going well the line should be activated next week some time. I had another ".... where the Sun don't shine" conversation with them.
    Having had a good rant at both of the largest operators I am feeling rather good about myself. Trouble is I have no broadband. My landloard wont let me put up an IBB aerial and NTL say that it will be some weeks before they have upgraded our area.
    I live in Ranelagh and I need broadband badly. Do I have any other realistic choices, or do I have to go back to IOL/Eircom with my tail between my legs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Eircom treat their customers like muck - and in the end, they will pay heavily for it (I'm just waiting in eager for the day eircom crashes and burns).

Do smart have broadband in your local exchange? Or can you got IBB ripwave (bad as it may be, it could keep you going for a few months until ntl come into your area - plus they are doing free install on it before 30 June, and its now only €25 per month).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sorry to hear Henry, but I know of no broadband service provider that has any decent customer care. They all have dire (presumably underpaid) staff who clearly have no idea of the products they're meant to be supporting.. and all seriously lack processes (I mean how hard is selling DSL ffs!).

Also NTL have been saying weeks/months for my area for 3 years now.. somtimes they get all excited and say that it's coming within a short few weeks, other times they say that it won't be for months. So I wouldn't hold my breath for them.

You may have to bite the bullet, and swallow some pride, and go back to eircom/BT.. there are other resellers that you might want to try first.. or you might want to wait for Smart (although their rollout does seem to be delayed).

Either way, you should send separte complaints to both eircom and IOL/BT and CC ComReg in them. Be brief, to the point, stating dates and times, etc. Don't be overly critical, or go on a rant. It may or may not help your situation, but it will go on file which will help highlight the awful levels of services.

Good Luck!
    .cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

NTL say that it will be some weeks before they have upgraded our area.

dude, trust me, it won't be weeks, it will be YEARS! and lots of them, it's been like 5 years now that ntl has been telling me "couple of weeks"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I agree Eircom have it coming ,I wouldn,t go back to them even if I had to do with 28k dial up....The unfortunate part is the delays that Smart are encountering ( Not all Eircoms fault tbh), If they could get thier roll out back on track the would be cleaning up, otherwise it will be BT Ireland (esat) who will gain the most

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

Unless you spoke to a supervisor you probably just had a rant at some student who more than likely had his earpeice well away from his ear and inserted many "i understand"s. The problem with customer care is as it was pointed at there, people get on to underpaid staff who don't "care" about the customer, unfortuantely the customer thinks that he/she is talking to the CEO of the company when in essence there rant has merely meant some employee gets an ear bashing and the situation stays the same way.

About your broadband prospects can i suggest holding out for NTL, quite the service offered. But in fairness i've never had to ring their customer support!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

send off an email to the IOL complaints email addy (it used to be complaints@esat.com ) and that usually reaps rewards. Your case is immediately escalated to people who know what they are doing and you don't even have to talk to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

Thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like I will be eating humble pie on Tuesday, (well for 2 months anyway !!!)

Advertisement