Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[PR] Bank holiday Friday claims up 35%: report

• 04-06-2005 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0603/rta.html
    Bank holiday Friday claims up 35%: report
    03 June 2005 11:18

A report has identified a 35% increase in road traffic accidents on the Friday of bank holiday weekends.

The finding has been made by Hibernian Insurance after a detailed examination of their claims records over the past four years.

This is the first time Hibernian, one of the country's largest car insurers, has reported trends from its claims records.

During the June bank holiday last year, five people died and 94 were injured.

The Hibernian crash report also adds fuel to the age old battle of the sexes in terms of driving.

Men are more likely to have an accident, and make 24% more claims than women.

Crackdown on drink-driving

Meanwhile, as this June bank holiday weekend gets under way, gardaí have warned they will be monitoring pubs and people leaving them, in a crackdown on drink-driving.

The Garda Traffic Division advises a policy of never drinking and driving, keeping within the speed limits and the wearing of seatbelts ....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Is this statement being made purely on the number of accident claims being made? What consideration was made for the number of accidents per journey or per mile? Probably impossible to evaluate so what is the point of the statistic?

My experience during a 15 minute journey today to buy petrol would make me wonder. I encountered too examples of very poor driving by women.

I was waiting at red traffic lights where a green filter light was allowing trafic to turn right. A woman driver came up the filter lane with her indicator showing a left turn, cut accross in front of me and then proceeded to go straight through the red light - a pedestrian crossing.

I arrived at the filling station and started to fill the tank. A women driver came into the station on the proverbial two wheels and pulled up at the adjacent as if she was in the pit lane of a grand prix (but without the speed limitor).

Just an observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tarabuses wrote:
    Is this statement being made purely on the number of accident claims being made? What consideration was made for the number of accidents per journey or per mile? Probably impossible to evaluate so what is the point of the statistic?
    Possibly irrelevant unless you have a mileage based insurance policy, which are rare enough.

Of course I did see a woman pull a 360-degree turn this morning on a one-way street, while she was trying to park. :eek:

Advertisement