Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dickinson

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭trishemurphy

i'd had some of her background inf in my intro and my teacher said it wasn't needed and you'll get docked for waffle even in a personal response theres no need for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

if anyone got personal response to dickinson in the mocks heres the marking scheme
    *powerful and unusual use of language including style, manner, phraseology, appropiate vocab,imagery, the sound of the poems, her use of the dash and unusual punctuation
    *the unusual nature of dickinsons themes
    *the dark oftentimes disturbing nature of her poetry
    *her treatment of love and other abstract states
    *the exploration of her interior
    *the honesty of her work
    *comparisons with other poems and poets on the course

**mark out of 50
    p 15
    c 15
    l 15
    m 5

that seems mad handy just wht i need thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

how will you answer the 'personal aspect' of the poetry question. What words, expressions are you using?

eg.

I particularly enjoy how Dickinson can convey states of mind. Take the poem "I felt a Funeral in my Brain". Dickinson's poetry is open to many interpretations but I think that here Dickinson is conveying the massive build up of presure leading to a mental breakdown. I can feel this poem in my head:
    "And mourners to and fro
    Kept treading - treading."
    And
    "A service like a Drum
    Kept beating - beating, till I thought
    My mind was going numb."
    I can feel this poem in my head. The staccato rhythm pounds in my brain. This is Dickinson's way of conveying a massive build up of stress. I think she ends in it brillantly.
    "A Plank in Reason broke."
    The mind snaps. It can take no more. Hopefully I will never experience such a thing but I do think that this is a poem we can all relate to. Especially students, who are faced with the mammoth task of learning four poets for a measly 50 point question....*cough*

Something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

Instead of saying States of mind say somthing like , how she conveys the human condition and the spiritual nature of condition through poetry. Gives you a broader palet to work on for you're answer!!

Bump for whoever needs it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

**mark out of 50
    p 15
    c 15
    l 15
    m 5

What's that PCLM?

something like purpose clarity language and mechanics? I think thats it.

Advertisement