Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parnell

Options
  • 04-06-2005 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

What kind of question do u think will be asked?

I personally think it will be involvement in home rule or land league because last years was straight forward. achievements and failures.
    although u could ask about 10 different ones on him if anybody could help i'd be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

When we first did Parnell I thought it'd be a piss easy essay, but my history teacher warned everyone NOT to do a parnell essay which goes like 'assess parnells ability as a leader...'' and so on.. apparently they decided to mark them ultra hard....she never really gave an explanation why, but basically you have to have the language ability close to that of a joycean ****ing scholar to do well on that kind of question.

If it's a straightforward 'contribution to home rule' one it may be slightly easier but either way, she said steer clear of any parnell questions :confused: Damn communists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

'assess parnells ability as a leader' exactly what i'm hoping for!
    the reason why she thinks they are marked hard is because hes an old reliable, which most people do.
    you have to have the language ability close to that of a joycean ****ing scholar to do well on that kind of question.

well i actually do have an extremely good sample essay on that essay title so i'd be jumping up and down if it did appear.

Well personally I adore History.In 5th year I was determined to to Greek and Roman Civilisation with Archaeology either in UCD or TCD, for some reason I then realised all I ever really wanted to do was something Art related. I started getting a portfolio together then found out there was no point doing it whatsoever in 6th year as most people just don't get into an Art college with a scrappy 6th year portfolio.So I applied to 3 colleges, Ballyfermot, Inchicore and..that other place..er..can't remember but it's near a big playing field...and I got into all 3 to do a post leaving, one year art course. I accepted Inchicore because Ballyfermot seemed to be full of knobends, especially the teachers :P All they require is that you reach 'leaving cert standard' to do the course, ie-just pass everything no matter what level, it's the same with Art colleges I want to go to, they judge you on your portfolio score not your leaving which I think is great. This enables me to RELAX and do the honours subjects I want to do just for myself, which is English-Art-German, I would have loved to have done honours History but I have one severe handicap in that area...I don't know when to stop writing.. (like now) If I learn a topic I learn EVERY last bit of it, it's a bit psycho-obsessive but I can't help it. I get immense satisfaction from writing a 12 page essay on any history topic..I just feel great afterwards hehe!..Problem is that'd take about 2 hours in the exam..so I've done honours history up to now but have been advised to do pass with the short questions and paragraphs and 'essays' that at the end I won't have time to be writing a huge spiel on. Pity but...mjah. Either way, history was a most enjoyable subject and I'd advise anyone to do it... ALTHOUGH I would have preferred to do the 'other' history course, more in depth version of the JC course..it looks sweet...but mjeh..

Either way Parnell was a great man!..Pity he was tempted by the sins of the flesh though ;) Silly men!!

*not thencomesdudley rather his gf using his username*

**also realises this was a total ramble and should be off studying some english but instead is drinking cold tea and giggling to herself*

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

I'm not touching a Parnell essay if it comes up. Far too many possible questions to study him well IMO. For Section A I think I'll be covered by: Home Rule Party 1900-1918. Sinn Fein. Unionism. Cultural Revival and Michael Davitt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

michael daviit maybe with parnell is what i'm now thinking. Ur right i shouldn't have touched him but i did. :o

its either learn an essay i have here on davitt or learn constructive unionism... its a real pickle.
    i'll see what davitt is like first.

EDIT - just did davitt, hes not too bad. If he comes up on his own, or with parnell its all good. Aswel i have unionist opposition and sinn fein(although this can be dodgy with dates) learnt quite well.

• Advertisement

Davitt cracks me up, everytime I think of him I just think of the drummer outta def leppard!

Cultural revival is simple..nearly always comes up too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Zachary Taylor

Davitt cracks me up because he only had one arm.

And then he became an arms agent.

And was convicted of procuring arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 UncleFester

Davitt cracks me up because he only had one arm.

And then he became an arms agent.

And was convicted of procuring arms.

he he he................v.amusing:)

loads o people say stay away from parnell n do unionism bt i just cant seem 2get th unionism stuff in2 me head so im doin parnell wit butt and davitt (good feelin bout dat!) n culttural unionism n hopin that'll have me covered!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

parnell just goes WAY over my little head............ Davitt, Unionism and Cultural Revival all the way!!

Advertisement