Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crappy Handwritting ??

Options
  • 04-06-2005 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Is anyone else worried about their handwritting? i no its silly, but mine sucks :( i'm afraid they won't be able to read anything by the end of my history / geography paper

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

Maybe you're destined to be a doctor so!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Yeah my handwriting is poor to begin with, but deteriorates as the exam progresses. Not really much you can do about it apart from try to make a conscious effort to be neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

My handwriting sucks too, but I'm more worried about getting the information down to be bothered about it. I physically cannot write neat when I'm pushed for time, so there isn't much I can do about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

If your writing gets so bad as to be illegible you will have to make a conscious effort to make it clear. Remember the examiner could be doing hundreds of papers, and get to yours after a long day, so you should make sure he/she is not going to give up trying to decipher your scribbles.
    Poor handwriting could also play a part in the discretionary marks the examiner can award - if they have just had some real difficulty deciphering an essay, it would be understandable if they then gave less marks for style than they would have for a legible script.

Dont worry about it!!! My friend has the WORST handwriting in HISTORY! Absolutely terrible can't make out a word with out severe concentration! She got 590 and is doing medicine! Obviously handwriting doesn't matter!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

obviously it does you want the examiner to be able to read it...

Just make a consious effort to make it legible, neat it not nessacery.

If handwriting is illegible it very much matters. I have corrected scripts and can assure you there are always some that end up getting no marks for a complete section as neither the examiner nor the Supervising Examiner can work out what the hell the candidate has written.
    Nothing more annoying than candidates throwing away marks through poor handwriting, not attempting enough sections, not answering the question asked, etc..

or perhaps the examiner will think you're an excentric genius...lol
    Ah Africa's right ! Just do you're best with it!!! And good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

newgrange wrote:
    If handwriting is illegible it very much matters. I have corrected scripts and can assure you there are always some that end up getting no marks for a complete section as neither the examiner nor the Supervising Examiner can work out what the hell the candidate has written.
    Nothing more annoying than candidates throwing away marks through poor handwriting, not attempting enough sections, not answering the question asked, etc..

are u correcting this years leaving cert? and what subjects do u correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

I'm in the same boat, my advice is to PRINT. Like the good aul days back in primary, everything you write from now to wednesday and so on practice printing, ie no joined writing.After a day or so you become hella fast and it's pretty ledgible..its always easier for someone to decide what a letter is when it's not joined to another. :cool:

• Advertisement

No I don't correct Leaving Cert., and I'm not correcting this year.

I know the protocols though, and I have experienced trying to 'get' marks for a candidate from a paper that was illegible - it is very frustrating for the examiner, though not as frustrating as candidates who leave out questions, or do not answer what they are asked. In short, examiners are NOT trying to fail candidates, but poor handwriting and missing/unanswered questions are a major reason for losing marks.

My subjects are History, Geography and Environmental and Social Studies. I have corrected History and ESS in the past, at Group., Inter., and Junior Cert. level (H & O).

Advertisement