Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem

Options
  • 04-06-2005 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Am in a spot of bother.

Does anyone know, if someone is renting accomodation, is it mandatory/law that the landlord have content insurance? (in case something in the house was broken accidentally?) or does the person who accidentally broke the thing (which costs hundreds of Euros to fix) have to fully pay up?

I understand that there is a "above normal wear and tear" clause when renting but even if it was accidental?

I have been to threshold (both website and to their office) and while they were very nice, the were not very helpful.

If I have to pay, I have to pay - after all i did break something, even if it was accidental, but some people suggested it is law the landlord have insurance to cover things like this.

I dont really know where to go from here, as I dont want to fork out loads of money if he legally is supposed to have insurance.

Any help/advice/ideas/experiences please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What was broken? In what circumstance was it broken? can it be repaired?

The landlord has little responsbility for your possessions (but I imagine you could sue him for damage to your possessions if the roof fell in).

You are responsible to the landlord to return the property and it contents to the landlord in fair condition. He isn't obliged to have any insurance, although it would be advisable.

Advertisement