Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server Bandwidth Specs [Split from Servers Thread]

Options
  • 03-06-2005 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what kind of machine/bandwidth specs you would eed for a game server for, I don't know, the newest FPS or RTS Games?
    was thinking of setting somethign up at home for the public

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

you'll need a v. fast uplink for a public server.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Gilgamesh wrote:
    I was wondering what kind of machine/bandwidth specs you would eed for a game server for, I don't know, the newest FPS or RTS Games?
    was thinking of setting somethign up at home for the public

I've hosted a game or two of COD on an 2up 2down mbp IBB line and most mates on Eircom and Esat got pings of around 30 -40 !! 20 in my host game

ping isn't the issue, the throughput required for bfv means a 2meg line can only support a few external players.......

Darth Bobo wrote:
    ping isn't the issue, the throughput required for bfv means a 2meg line can only support a few external players.......

true but it worked grand for me !

how many players? and cod's tiny maps , lack of vehicles n so on probally mean alot less traffic too.......

• Advertisement

Darth Bobo wrote:
    how many players? and cod's tiny maps , lack of vehicles n so on probally mean alot less traffic too.......

20 on caretan COD map ! little traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

well, have a max of 4 meg in each direction, would that be okay fro something like that?

Gilgamesh wrote:
    well, have a max of 4 meg in each direction, would that be okay fro something like that?

give it a bash ! and if your behind a firewall open the BF port :- www.portforward.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Battlefield servers generally use about 128kbps upload per player [upload]. and around 20kb/s or so from the player [download]. You can change these using the game.ServerBandwidthChokeLimit command on the server to make it use less bandwidth however this may result is less smooth games.

You will need a connection capable of uploading a fair amount if you want to host a server over your internet connection.

might give it a try onthe weekend, thanks guys will let you know how I get on

• Advertisement

Gilgamesh wrote:
    might give it a try onthe weekend, thanks guys will let you know how I get on

Xfire me if you want me to join in and test !! :-) always up for BF or BFV

will do, will also have to dig out those BF CDs first, too

Gilgamesh wrote:
    will do, will also have to dig out those BF CDs first, too

Dont forget to patch up !!! read thsi thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=263565

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

Original post fixed with 1st-IB added.

thanks again jim :)

If you are ever looking for some rounds of bf jump into tig irc as there is nearly always someone playing somewhere.

Bandwidth questions and stuff split from origional Irish Servers thread and spam ****é removed.

Advertisement