Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Aren't We All Studying?

Options
  • 04-06-2005 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Wouldn't you think we'd all be up studying instead of spending ALL of our time on boards??

I just can't seem to get any work done. Every time I try, I can just hear the hum of the computer and am immediately drawn back over to it! To make it worse, I'm not in the least bit anxious or worried or anything. I know now that'll I'll do good, but not as good as I'm capable of. I try visualisng results day to motivate myself but obviously even that isn't working. Anyone else having the same problems? Or have any ideas on how to get some work done (apart from plugging out my computer!)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

We are fed up and boards is a good distraction.

Yes, I have the exact same problem. I'm not worried at all, and the hum of the pc is indeed very inticing.

But..................must.......................STUDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Marie don't worry that you're not worried, think about it...maybe you're actually 'confident' :) like moi!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Marie don't worry that you're not worried, think about it...maybe you're actually 'confident' :) like moi!

Good point....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

think of not getting **** results, in particular failing stuff u haven't studied. Put a good 2 mins into visualising this picture in your head and it will ensure at least a good hour study. Also try imagine not getting your course, repeating and failing that leaving cert aswel.

Thats one side of it, others need to think positive about accepting all their cao courses, doing plc's in case etc, repeating, gap years, etc. whatever.

personally i think a bit of stress gives u a kick in the arse, anybody agree? I work well with pressure, mostly. But everybody has a breaking point. U don't wana burn yourself out just before the exams, i know some people do.

• Advertisement

I agree fella but the ol cliche is true...really isn't the end of the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 comingdown

this is ridiculous. i'm hung over to fck and i still havent opened a book.

you silly goon!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah OK did the visualising thing, got as far as me asking my best friend how he got on on his first day at college while I was still in my uniform....very effective! Also the prospect of being stuck with current fifth years....going to my debs but not really enjoying it properly cos I'll be seeing all the teachers in school on Monady morning!*shudders* I'm going to go and do some Business now thanks guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

This is crazy, i keep forgetting that the LC is on in wednesday. It still feels like a distant thing. I was studying before, month ago but now im doing **** all and i am not one bit worried, but not confident either. I don't know what im at, Im doubting that ill get the points i need too now.
    Might start a bit of maths later on though, its too hard to keep going

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

*marie* wrote:
    Wouldn't you think we'd all be up studying instead of spending ALL of our time on boards??
    Good point, thank you. I'm gonna go do some Irish now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

My behaviour is frustrating. I've actually done progressively less study (all year) the closer we get to the leaving cert. Today i've barely opened a book.

<Jonny> wrote:
    My behaviour is frustrating. I've actually done progressively less study (all year) the closer we get to the leaving cert. Today i've barely opened a book.
    My Exact Problem ^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

It's been like this every year for the past 3 years. Theres just this buzz of activity on this forum just before and during the leaving cert. Which is kind of paradoxical, cos surely everybody should be studying by now instead.

AARRGHHH ok have now given up on the business! But I kind of have a solution: I'm usually a great one for cramming, and it's not really cramming time yet, more of a pre-cramming stage....so say tuesday night at about 9oclock I'll just get this unbelievable burst of studying energy!! *sigh of relief* Problem solved! Now I'm off to the pub to watch the Ireland match!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

*marie* wrote:
    AARRGHHH ok have now given up on the business! But I kind of have a solution: I'm usually a great one for cramming, and it's not really cramming time yet, more of a pre-cramming stage....so say tuesday night at about 9oclock I'll just get this unbelievable burst of studying energy!! *sigh of relief* Problem solved! Now I'm off to the pub to watch the Ireland match!

mmmm, pub sounds good, first one is one me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

meh I'll write it on my hand.......

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

I didn't open a book yesterday I just blew the entire day on the internet. It's strange i'm not freaking out but I am feeling bad inside cause i'm worried I won't get the results I'd like and can get. The course I want is 370 and i should get that pretty easily but i'd still like to do well. I wouldn't like to have no A's and the three subjects i have a chance of that in are Maths, Physics and Chemistry but they all have their little problems. Maths will probably have a few proofs that i won't know and just some nasty parts here and there. Physics I don't know all the experiments in and I find magnetism hard too, flux and all that. Chemistry is full of such NIT PICKING correctors. I needed nine more marks in the second pre (our teacher gave us two) to get an A and i had lost three marks for saying a colour was "straw yellow" instead of "PALE straw yellow"! And i lost six more for saying a colour was "Red" instead of "Red/Brown". Also in another test we were given I said a colour change was from "Blue to colourless" and was marked wrong and she said it was "Blue Black to colourless"! I mean what sort of **** is that, one man's blue black is another man's navy is another man's grey, it's totally beside the point and the fact was that I knew what i was talking about and the image in my head was no different than that of anyone who wrote down blue black, and she knew it too. Has Chemistry become so arbitrary as to reward not those who understand deeply the concepts involved but those who are good at learning phrases off?

Right just had to tell the world I feel better now. Ok tomorrow I'll do a small bit of English just revising two poets one last time and going through that Hamlet, I'm not going to blow any more time on it than that though. I'll throw the rest of tomorrow and the day after into Maths Paper 1.

Yeah i think magnetism is the hardest part on the physics course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Lynibeth

It's kind of a comfort.. I'm scared that I'm not scared about the exams!!! I'm studying every other minute but nothing's going in. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement