Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reál Madrid to show Raúl the door ??

• 04-06-2005 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p231.htm

RAUL COULD BE ON HIS WAY TO ANFIELD

Liverpool's Spanish contingent could
    swell with the purchase of Real Madrid
    golden-boy Raul, according to reports.

Raul has hinted that his 11-year career
    with the Spanish giants could be about
    to come to an end, sparking rumours
    that Liverpool might make a move for
    the 27-year-old forward.

'If I listen to polls in papers it
    looks as though I should leave. I want
    what is best for Real,' said Raul.

'If at some time I have to sacrifice
    myself for Real to progress I will.'

I wouldnt find this too hard to belive. Raúl hasnt been at his best for a while and the golden days seem to be gone. I just cant see him playing in the English priemership though..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Already being discussed here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=263901&page=2

Could they afford his wages? I believe he's one of the highest paid players in the world. Could they afford hs transfer fee which i imagine would still be pretty high?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

As I said in the other thread, you should be biting the hand off any club who makes a player of his calibre available.

While he hasnt been performing that well for Real this year he is still a class act. After 11 great years prehaps he needs a new challenge.

I dont actually think his transfer fee would be that expensive, Im sure they could get him for about £12M. Even if they had to pay £20M it would still be money well spent. Anyone know what his contract situation is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Anyone know what his contract situation is?
    He would break the wage bracket at Liverpool

PHB wrote:
    He would break the wage bracket at Liverpool
    I meant how many years does he have left.

As regards as much he gets paid, it might be more than most Liverpool players, but the likes of Gerrard, Morientes, and Alsonso would all be getting a fair bit of wedge, not too far off I wouldnt say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i have always been a fan of raul but he has gone off the boil recently. personally im always a bit sceptical about players in this state. my main reason for this would be that players often flourish due to other team members. so some players are hard to judge. now im not doubting his ability im merely curious to see how he does outside madrid.

for that reason i would like to see how raul would take to the english game and ultimately see just how good he is. im not sure liverpool would be the team best suited to his ability.

• Advertisement

i have always been a fan of raul but he has gone off the boil recently. personally im always a bit sceptical about players in this state. my main reason for this would be that players often flourish due to other team members. so some players are hard to judge. now im not doubting his ability im merely curious to see how he does outside madrid.
    Raul is Madrids longest serving player, so something tells me its hardly a case of him flourishing due to "other team members".

11 years at the same club is bound to make a player go a bit stale. It is kind of similar to Giggs at United, although Giggs has been there even longer. A new challenge is all that is needed.
    for that reason i would like to see how raul would take to the english game and ultimately see just how good he is. im not sure liverpool would be the team best suited to his ability.
    Youre right European Champions is probably a bit above him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I think he's a fantastic player who's just gone a bit stale at Madrid. He obviously doesn't enjoy playing second-fiddle to Ronaldo. Since he joined, Raul's goal tally has dropped markedly.

Imagine Perez selling Raul and keeping Ronaldo though - he'd be lynched by the fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Raul could have no technical ability and still be a great player.
    He has the heart of Kilbane or Keano, total dedication to the club, total.
    You see the way he said he'd leave for the good of the club, its nothing to do with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Read about it in the Mirror this morning.

I'll have to see it to believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

wasnt bannor saying this was on the cards? I know the fans have been failry pissed of with him lately. Perez also wants to get rid of the "egos" at the club. Hence giving figo the boat.He has had a tiff with Owen aswell hasnt he?

Who knows where he will end up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

You don't have to have insider knowledge to figure out that all isn't well with Raul. He's been off the boil for ages, and is now facing the prospect of warming the bench while Mickey Owen and Ronaldo play centre-stage up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Raúl will stay, don't believe all the speculaton.

He'll stay without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

He was meant to go last season as well. The fans had the "Bye bye Raúl" flags hanging outside the bernabeu :D. I'd say they will let him stay on for another season or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

For a time he picked the team, sadly thats not the kinda player you want at a club has allegdley got 3 managers sacked only Del Bosque could control him.

Be a good signing for any of the top 4 if he hits form , in the PL would get 20 goals a season but also doesnt like big strapping CBts knocking the crap out of him, goes missing when he gets a few hard tackles.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Real Madrid’s director of football Arrigo Saachi has dismissed Liverpool’s proposed move for Raul. The English papers had linked the Spaniard with a move to Anfield, but Real have stated that no approach has been made.
    Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I can never see Raul leaving for the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

He might have gotten them sacked at Real but sack Benitez? I think not
    And does anyone remember the Raul/Morientes partnership before fatty Ronaldo broke it up? Best thing since Yorke and Cole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

as far as i know he is out of contract during the summer months, he would be class he had a few shakey months of late in madrid, but im sure any keeper in the world would be afraid to see Raul in front of goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

dcarroll wrote:
    And does anyone remember the Raul/Morientes partnership before fatty Ronaldo broke it up? Best thing since Yorke and Cole
    Ya, but Yorke & Cole never re-kindled that partnership at Blackburn...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'd say he'll definately go to Liverpool if he leaves Real.

• Advertisement
Advertisement