Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Draft Special Speed Limit Guidelines

• 04-06-2005 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭

Draft Special Speed Limit Guidelines. The red bits are recent changes.

The bits I would have a problem with are:
    2.3 Speed Limits

“A vehicle shall not be driven at a speed exceeding that which will enable its driver to bring it to a halt within the distance which the driver can see to be clear.” (Article 7 of S.I. No. 182 of 1997 – Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997).
    Maintaining this status quo is too generous, by the time you get to the end of the distance that you can see to be clear, something may be occupying that space.
    3. Speed Limit Structure in the Road Traffic Act 2004

The speed limit that may be applied [at roadworks] cannot be less than 30 km/h
    This may have to be revised in the context of the recent bus accident, in addition it would appear that a (semi-) pedestrian zone with an existing 30km/h limit can't have it's limit reduced when there are roadworks

5.6.2 Specific site considerations

• The permanent 30 km/h speed limit must not be applied to a national road;

Of course, College Green and O'Connell Street are national routes, meaning a lower limit couldn't be introduce on them.
    5.6.2 Specific site considerations

• The area should not include any road that has a distributor function – i.e. all of the roads in the area should have a traffic function that is limited to the area itself.
    While I am less concerned about this, I imagine there is no legal definition of "distributor road" and many a distribtuor road needs calming.

5.7 Special Speed Limits on separate carriageways/lanes

In general terms the use of separate speed limits on opposing lanes on single carriageway roads should be avoided.
    I don't see their problem here - the road approaching a town / school / shopping area / hazard should have a lower limit than the road away from it. "Slow" signs and "no overtaking" sign ahve the habit of not working.

Comments

Advertisement