Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messin around with my old stereo.

Options
  • 04-06-2005 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I found my crappy old stereo in my bi-monthly attack on the attic.
    I got the old speakers and hook em up... then i saw my laptop.
    *ding*
    I wanna hook up my stereo to my laptop.
    The crap stereo doesnt have those 'white and red' aux jacks at the back
    I was wondering if what i wanna do is possible :/

I'm a total noob when it comes to technical stuff and numbers :D

Good luck to anyone who dares take on the *satanic voice* Damned n00b of enflaming irritation and irrational thinking! BLwhahaha haah!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

What inputs does it have? They should be labeled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Darc Shadoe

Its impossible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

its far from impossible!

a lazy ass way is to use a cassette adaptor if the stereo has a cassette deck.

a radio transmitter (arkon from expansys0 will transmit it thru FM

Of coure the hardcore way to do it is trace the input on the amp from one of the sources on the circuit board and solder a socket onto it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Darc Shadoe

well, as far as i can tell there is no alternate way to input stuff cept for the cd part(doesnt like burned cd's) the cassette recorder and the fm radio.
    i am hardcore when i can get the tools! and i'm sure i could 'borrow' some from the school on wednesday...
    I did 'Technology' back in the jc so i can solder a bit... i know me way around simple circuits but i am still to afraid i will bust it up. its all i got :eek
    judgin by the crappyness of it all (it even skips when i STEP NEAR IT!) it will turn to dust at the shear sight of a solderin iron... its probably made of wood or something lol

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

why dont you buy some sexy speakers to go with your laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if you're lucky, the CD player might be a complete unit inside with simply a linout signal wired to the board.

in that case, it should be dead easy, just desolder the wires and replace em with the connectors. Although this is based on the assumption that they are similar gain. Should be within ballpark though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm assuming the speakers hook tot he main block of the stereo via the red+black pair of wires, one pair for left, one for right.

Afaik, using a stereo line jack, you can wire both channels up to the laptop. Should just take a bit of soldering and some parts.

Advertisement