Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caller ID

Options
  • 04-06-2005 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I regularly make and receive calls to and from the UK and Ireland and have Caller ID enabled on both networks - BT and Eircom.

I have noticed that calls originating on landlines from the UK, show the number on the phone in Ireland; however, calls from Eircom landline from Ireland come up as "International" on the UK phone. Both phones are UK BT Relate 1500 models.

Numbers on the Irish phone come from several Manchester and Shropshire exchanges. The UK numbers are in international format, ie 0044..., but originally a few years ago they were sometimes in national format, ie 0161 (for Manchester) and so Eircom / Telecom Eireann would take this as a Dublin number. They now come up as 0044...

Calls from Irish landlines always come up as "International".

A friend ringing me from her Irish 087...mobile from Dublin to Manchester a couple of years ago made me see the number appear in Irish national format, ie 087... and not 0035387.. as you may think. Without conversion of the number, it was not possible to directly call her back.

This proves that numbers are transmitted both ways between the two networks.

Questions: why does it work for mobiles and not landlines; what can be done to make it work for landlines. so Irish landline numbers come up as 003531... or 0035398...?

Regards,

HPMan.

Advertisement