Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State Exams!!!

Options
  • 04-06-2005 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

OK, since no-one else seems to care about us...

Best o' luck to anyone sittin the Junior or Leavin Cert. this year. I'm sure we'll all do magnificently :D

IS anyone doin either? I'm doin the JC.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Yeah, I'm doing the Junior Cert. too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm doing the LC. Good luck to everyone doing either, especially Caoimhe who's going for Medicine!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Good luck to you all yadda yadda. It's the start of a fun <insert number of years of degree> for all you LCers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Good luck all. i shall be thinking of you as i recline back, having finished the day after you start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hobotastic

I'm doing the Leaving Cert. Or more correctly, will be in three days. Funny, in three weeks it'll all be over.... FOR EVER... It's a strange thought. Never really occurred to me what it would feel like until a few weeks ago. Speaking of which... *goes to study*

• Advertisement

crash_000 wrote:
    Good luck all. i shall be thinking of you as i recline back, having finished the day after you start.
    You just had to rub that in... But I deserve it, because last year I was rejoicing in the fact that I was on a cruise along the Amalfi Coast while your English paper 1 was starting - it's all karma of course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Hobotastic wrote:
    I'm doing the Leaving Cert. Or more correctly, will be in three days. Funny, in three weeks it'll all be over.... FOR EVER... It's a strange thought. Never really occurred to me what it would feel like until a few weeks ago. Speaking of which... *goes to study*

ypu know "it's" never really over........ there's always something.

For what are we, as humans, if we lack some grand design or something to strive for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭J Campion

Hobotastic wrote:
    Funny, in three weeks it'll all be over...

THREE WEEKS!!! You nearly gave me a heart attack there, I thought the JC was that long aswell for a minute there. I'll be finished in 11 days (apart from Technology which isn't 'til 6 days after that and doesn't really matter). Is the LC really that long?

I also can't believe the Dept. of Ed. or SEC or whatever they're callin themselves these days are still so cruel as to give JC's 5hours and LC's 6 hours of English on the same day. I haven't seen the LC English papers but is it kinda like the JC (Paper I creative and Paper II studied material)?

Do ye think this or do ye think it's better to get the whole subject finished in one day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It's pretty cruel that they basically take the 2 papers that involve the most writing and put them on the first day, but I do agree that it's a fairly nice way to get broken into the exams. I mean, paper one is fairly relaxing since you don't have to study much for it, and it's a big relief to get paper 2 over and done with. And that way you know at least if you survived all that writing, it can only get better.

Still, the way I write I get cramps in my hand really quickly, so I'm not looking forward to it too much...

J Campion wrote:
    THREE WEEKS!!! You nearly gave me a heart attack there, I thought the JC was that long aswell for a minute there. I'll be finished in 11 days (apart from Technology which isn't 'til 6 days after that and doesn't really matter). Is the LC really that long?

I also can't believe the Dept. of Ed. or SEC or whatever they're callin themselves these days are still so cruel as to give JC's 5hours and LC's 6 hours of English on the same day. I haven't seen the LC English papers but is it kinda like the JC (Paper I creative and Paper II studied material)?
    I think it should be a 4 hour Junior Cert. paper (split into 2) and a 5 hour Leaving Cert. paper (split into 2).

My last exam is on the 23rd because Greek is the bloody last exam of them all. It kinda cool though cos' since there's so few students I have fair chance of getting the highest score in the country in Greek. :D

• Advertisement

There is no way I could do paper 2 in 2 hours. And if there was a way, it would be painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Good luck to all in the Big Test and the little one too.All you talented youth shouldn't have anything to worry about.

There is no way I could do paper 2 in 2 hours. And if there was a way, it would be painful.
    Well obviously the paper would be made more compact to accommodate.

J Campion wrote:
    Is the LC really that long?
    Well, depends on the subjects you do. People who do Applied Maths are there until the bitter end (24th), whereas people who chose subjects like Biology, Geography, French can be finished in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I have fair chance of getting the highest score in the country in Greek. :D

I'm the same with Latin. :) I get cramps in my hand as well, whatevr way i write. I just write less. :p To be honest, don't worry, there's not much writing in English. Wait until History and Geography and be prepared to write like a madman and to hell with the pain! only way to get those papers done as far as I'm concerned.

I wrote a ridiculously large amount in my mock in English. I've come to the conclusion that I can write about... a page every 9/10 minutes, so if I wrote solidly for the duration of my English exams (not likely) I'd have about 30 pages written.
    And hurray! My JC ends on the 16th, so that's just over a week. :D

There's no need to write so much. Don't bother. Won't get you extra marks, and if some of it's not up to standard you're not doing yourself any favours. Less writing, more thought about it.

I'm obviously not gonna write more than I have to, but what's necessary is still an irritatingly large amount.

Also, it may make your handwriting worse, pissing off the examiner (which you don't want to do)
    It's quality, not quantity

There's not much necessary in English. I'd say five or six pages, maximum. You can definitely do it in that kind of space, which isn't hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

ok
    since im an emotional wreck
    prone to random outbursts of hysterical laughter
    im probably not the best person to be reassuring all you people

but best of luck anway
    n if worse comes to worse, theres always the big booze up on the friday after the exams to look forward to

Well, on paper one you'd have 4 pages for the story, a page or 2 for the functional writing, maybe a page for media studies, page and a half for the reading, that's what, 8 pages.
    Then paper 2 you've got your 3 essays, 3 pages each, then a page and a half for each of the unseens, so that's over 10 pages for paper 2.

Dear god you do not need to write that much! Three or four pages for each essay just isn't necessary. Between a page and a half and two pages is much better as long as they're good.

Sorry, wrote 3 down instead of 2. Still adds up to the same though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Quality over quantity. If you ever do Classics, you'll understand how examiners(or maybe just my classics teacher) prefer short to the point essays, rather than roundabout bullsh1t. At the end of the day, three fully developped points in 1 and a half pages is easier to mark than three points in three pages. And you'll still get the marks for the shorter. (actually, I've known examiners to mark people down for the longer one on principle of anti-bullsh1tting.)

So have I. Examiners don't want you to waffle on for ten pages they can't correct because they keep falling asleep. They want clear, concise answers that give everything needed, and nothing thst isn't. That's the perfect answer.

I'm the same with Latin. :)
    Ah, yes, but whereas you're 1 in about 200/250 - 300 Latin students in Ireland I'm 1 in about 20 - 40 students. Bit of a difference.

Yeah, but I kick muchos ass at Latin. Do they tell you if you got the highest in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I have fair chance of getting the highest score in the country in Greek. :D

/me raises eyebrows

Cocky, Kev? :p

I completely agree with the 'Quality over Quantity' idea, my friend can write amazingly fast and has the power of people able to bull**** as well. We both wrote the same history essay, hers was about 2/3 pages long, mine wasnt even a page and I got more marks than her. It is kinda nerve-wracking to look over in an exam to see she has 5 pages done while I've just started my second though. We tend to get similar grades though, so that shows that you really dont need to waffle on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

Not unless you pull off something extraordinary. Such as getting 100%, which I guess you can't really do in a langauge, (when compared to something such as maths).

Advertisement